Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 7:29 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Humans have to develop effective terraforming ways before colonizing any non earth-like planet.

Fat chance. We don't even know how to terraform our own planet.

ruveyn

Oh I dunno. We seemed to be on the right track for terraforming it to a level where a carbon monoxide-breathing lifeform could exist comfortably. I imagine its just an adjustment in the kind of "pollution" we pollute with to terraform one for us to survive. A car which spews out breathable oxygen as a by-product. A factory that leaks potable spring water into the eco-system.

Carbon monoxide is a deadly poison.

As is carbon dioxide. Except for plants, they seem to like it just a little. But, don't you remember that according to the evolutionary version of history that oxygen wasn't even that high in concentration prior to plants. Evil little things, polluting the atmosphere killing themselves off. If it weren't for animals which take in oxygen and resupply carbon dioxide where would life be on Earth?

Carbon dioxide is no more a poison than water. They both can kill you by depriving you of oxygen but carbon monoxide destroys the chemistry of your breathing system.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 8:01 pm

Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Humans have to develop effective terraforming ways before colonizing any non earth-like planet.

ruveyn

Oh I dunno. We seemed to be on the right track for terraforming it to a level where a carbon monoxide-breathing lifeform could exist comfortably. I imagine its just an adjustment in the kind of "pollution" we pollute with to terraform one for us to survive. A car which spews out breathable oxygen as a by-product. A factory that leaks potable spring water into the eco-system.

As is carbon dioxide. Except for plants, they seem to like it just a little. But, don't you remember that according to the evolutionary version of history that oxygen wasn't even that high in concentration prior to plants. Evil little things, polluting the atmosphere killing themselves off. If it weren't for animals which take in oxygen and resupply carbon dioxide where would life be on Earth?

Carbon dioxide is no more a poison than water. They both can kill you by depriving you of oxygen but carbon monoxide destroys the chemistry of your breathing system.

Yes, particularly by being nondetachable from hemoglobin. However, you might be right about how horrible water is. Also, dihydrogen monoxide is extremely dangerous, even a teaspoon of it can be lethal.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 8:07 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

ruveyn

Yes, particularly by being nondetachable from hemoglobin. However, you might be right about how horrible water is. Also, dihydrogen monoxide is extremely dangerous, even a teaspoon of it can be lethal.

Evidently I have been living dangerously.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 8:22 pm

Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Sand wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

ruveyn

Evidently I have been living dangerously.

Quite possibly:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3erdgVVTw[/youtube]

http://www.dhmo.org/

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2010, 10:41 pm

Sand wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

ruveyn

No..you don't say? Congratulations on missing the point like Apollo 13 missed its landing window on the moon.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 3:34 am

Macbeth wrote:
Sand wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

ruveyn

No..you don't say? Congratulations on missing the point like Apollo 13 missed its landing window on the moon.

OK. I don't get your point. Could you be a bit clearer?

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 5:28 am

Sand wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
Sand wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

ruveyn

Terraforming: adapting the biosphere of a planet to suit your race/species/whatever. We as a species are very good at knackering up a planet's biosphere, making it a sorry place to live for the indigenous species. I was postulating facetiously by inventing a possible carbon-monoxide friendly species, that we are clearly quite good at terraforming, just not for US. Thus the principle of terraforming another world is this: what we do to our world, but in reverse.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 5:38 am

Macbeth wrote:
Sand wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
Sand wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

ruveyn

Terraforming: adapting the biosphere of a planet to suit your race/species/whatever. We as a species are very good at knackering up a planet's biosphere, making it a sorry place to live for the indigenous species. I was postulating facetiously by inventing a possible carbon-monoxide friendly species, that we are clearly quite good at terraforming, just not for US. Thus the principle of terraforming another world is this: what we do to our world, but in reverse.

Terraforming is a conscious effort to change an ecology. We are just sh*****g in our nest.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 1:39 pm

Sand wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
Sand wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
Sand wrote:
Macbeth wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

ruveyn

Terraforming is a conscious effort to change an ecology. We are just sh*****g in our nest.

And little did you even suspect that the oil and automobile companies were in fact fronts for a carbon-monoxide-breathing species that uses mankind's own greed against it, to get us to terraform our own planet to their liking... :)

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 4:00 pm

Hey, as gas prices go up cars are going to become too expensive to use.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 4:18 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Alternative motive power will emerge.

When North American ran out of whale oil (because the whales were being killed off) it did not run out of oil for its lamp.s

ruveyn

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 4:54 pm

ruveyn wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Alternative motive power will emerge.

When North American ran out of whale oil (because the whales were being killed off) it did not run out of oil for its lamps.

ruveyn

Perhaps we'll use the Krebs cycle in substitute for the Otto cycle?

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2010, 8:28 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Perhaps we'll use the Krebs cycle in substitute for the Otto cycle?

A sweet idea but probably not feasible. Of course we can always go back to horses and oxen. That would substitute the Kreb Cycle or the Otto Cycle.

ruveyn