Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 5:09 pm

oh i hate it when this happens. people can be so rude!

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 5:28 pm

When people are walking toward me on the sidewalk, or in a crowded-store isle, I usually step out of their way because people seem to have a difficult time seeing me - or perhaps acknowledging my existence. I'm closing in on invisible.

BNineFounder
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jul 2010, 5:42 pm

JetLag wrote:
When people are walking toward me on the sidewalk, or in a crowded-store isle, I usually step out of their way because people seem to have a difficult time seeing me - or perhaps acknowledging my existence. I'm closing in on invisible.

Wow, I have the same issue too. I'll be in Walmart or the grocery store, and people walk right toward me like I'm invisible, even though I'm 6 foot tall and have a large frame. Maybe it's a cultural thing, I don't know. All I know is, I'm getting one of those old 1970's Spock helmets with the flashing red light and beeping sound. :-P

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 7:00 pm

I have mastered the art of making direct eye contact (I can deal with the pain in short bursts) and raising one eyebrow slightly. People get out of my way.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

16 Jul 2010, 7:58 pm

since i am a pedestrian and dont drive i frequent the sidewalks often. and yes! i feel like other people just expect me to move but not when i got my shredder bracelets on

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 8:08 pm

Yep.

In fact it feels more like a panic attack than just an annoyance. I'll usually walk pass those people. Ironically I also have the habit of walking behind the person I'm walking with. It seems to have the same effect on people as people do on me whenever they're walking side by side. I'm always afraid I'm blocking someone behind me, so I give them room to pass. Self projection I guess.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 8:48 pm

If that happened to me, it would get violent.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 9:39 pm

If I am walking in one direction and there is a group walking toward me in the opposite direction I usually stop and they walk around me.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2010, 10:35 pm

It doesn't annoy me if I can step around them. In hallways, yes, it's frustrating.

I know, though, that I walk a lot faster than most people, and that I need to be aware that others don't want to walk as fast. So pushing is rude and out of the question; and it's important to remember that NTs have a huge drive to socialize (which requires walking next to each other because they are very dependent on each others' faces for communication); and that can lead them to forget to be polite. It's a little like the way an autistic person might forget to be polite if they were wrapped up in a special interest and didn't want to be dragged away. It's just in their nature; one of those things we have to learn to compromise on so we can all share the same hallways. :)

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

eon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jul 2010, 10:56 pm

Even worse: People walking on the wrong goddam side right around a corner.

Walk on the correct side, seriously, why.

It's the same thing. This isn't a one way walking area, its two way, stay to the right most possible part of the walking area so you don't cause crashes. When people sync up in their social game, they think they own the entire walking space. So do people that go on the wrong side.

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Jul 2010, 11:53 pm

I owe you all an apology. :oops:

I'm a nightmare of a pedestrian. I'm the type who's constantly bumping, or almost bumping into people. I don't always have the greatest awareness of my body's position in space, and there have been times when I didn't even
notice I'd bumped into someone until the person started yelling at me. :oops:

I'm so spatially clueless, I often can't figure out what direction to move in to maneuver around people. I also tend to be so absorbed in my own thoughts, I often don't notice other people until they're right in front of me. It doesn't help when it's sunny out, and I'm walking in the direction of the sun. I don't see well in the sun.

I really don't understand sidewalk etiquette. I need the rules explicitly told to me, as I don't pick up on these things intuitively. If my fellow pedestrians are trying to send me signals using body language, and facial expressions, I'm not receiving. I'm not looking at anyone's face anyway, and even if I was, I would probably be unable to interpret what I saw. I wish people would just verbally tell each other where they're going to move. I often don't understand when people I know try to tell me things using only gestures and facial expressions, and I'm certainly not going to be able to interpret that information from random strangers on the street. Is there a course on sidewalk etiquette? :P If there is, I need to sign up.

I'm nearly always walking by myself, but I'm still not easy to pass, as I tend to weave all over the sidewalk. I just can't seem to walk in a straight line without consciously thinking about it. If I'm doing anything else when I'm walking, like texting or handling grocery bags, the weaving all over the place will be especially pronounced. I'm sure I drive my fellow pedestrians crazy. If the roles were reversed, I wouldn't like me either. :?

Once again, on behalf of frustrated pedestrians everywhere, I'm sorry.

I should bookmark this thread, and study it. Maybe I'll learn something that will help me be a better pedestrian.

Last edited by OuterBoroughGirl on 17 Jul 2010, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wuffles
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jul 2010, 10:52 am

When it comes to games of chicken on the sidewalk, my innate inability to notice other people wins every time. If the four of them don't jump into the street fast, one of them is going down because the odds are good that I haven't noticed their existence.