doing something you like vs doing something for the money

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 4:28 pm

i have never been able to even have the choice of doing something i loved versus something that paid well- i have never been able to get either of these good things. whatever jobs i have been able to get were almost invariably unpleasant AND low-paying. the one good job i ever had, my last one in the uncivil service, shrub laid me off.

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2010, 8:38 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
SmallFruitSong wrote:
[PS: I'd rather an Aston Martin DB9, myself.]

Ahh, a man of class 8)

Woman, you mean :P

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 4:52 am

SmallFruitSong wrote:
Asp-Z wrote:
SmallFruitSong wrote:
[PS: I'd rather an Aston Martin DB9, myself.]

Ahh, a man of class 8)

Woman, you mean :P

OK, a woman of class, I do apologise, ma'am :P

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 4:32 pm

I would definitely take the first choice, having a job that I like and an average income. Work takes up so much time of our lives and it is such an important part of our lives that I feel it is important to feel good at work and preferrably like your job. Money isn't everything and I believe being happy at work does better things for one's quality of life than having a lot of money.

I wish I could have a job that I actually enjoyed and felt good at work. I'd settle for a lower income than I currently have (as long as I could live off it) if I could feel good at work instead and enjoy my job. I hate my current job because of the way my colleagues treat me and behave and because of the bad work facilities. The work itself is not that bad, but the circumstances make me hate going to work.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 9:16 am

I had to learn the hard way that I should look for work I can do, and that it doesn't matter if I like it or hate it.

Octoman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Aug 2010, 1:14 pm

Most definitely would prefer doing something that I like.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 8:22 pm

It's not easy getting a job that will get you a ferrari. Very few will ever see that money. I am in a job that can net me $100K+ a year, but I do not love it. Some of it is enjoyable, but I don't want to stay in it for the rest of my life. My problem is I am not very good at talking to people. I could take a desk job that's easier than what I do, but I wouldn't get paid much at all compared to what I make now. I work in the trades in mining/the oil field. It's often very dangerous, really long hours, and you have to work on the road... but the money is quite good and I seem to do OK in it. If I had a wife or a serious relationship I would want to do something else so I could work on the relationship (most guys in my field are divorced, let alone guys with AS). I don't really have anything I am passionate about... if I did I would try pursuing it though.

cleo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Aug 2010, 6:29 am

Okay, everyone answered the obvious, and I would too. :)

BUT...you mentioned wife and kids. And money. My husband doesn't have his "dream job", but he makes good money and that's part of the package. He wanted the big house in the suburbs and he got it.
Achievements like that also make people happy, no matter what your objective is.
Being able to take your family on a nice vacation every year.
Putting your kids in provate school.
If you don't get it you could be kicking yourself later.

He's had 4 different jobs over the last 20 years and I can say honestly only ONE he liked.
He really liked the job and the people and the function was transferred somewhere we didn't want to live. :(

Oh, and no matter how much 'fun' a job is at first, after 10 or 20 years it can get pretty wearing.
Your life outside of work may count more in the long run.

daniel3103
Raven
Raven

25 Aug 2010, 1:09 pm

Given the choice, I would choose to do something I like for average income.

If, however, I could get a job that pays so well that I would be able to save a lot of money and retire very early, I would be more willing to put up with something I don't like.

At the moment, I'm stuck in a job that makes me feel miserable. I'm taking steps to get into one that makes me happy, and I believe I'll get there, but it's not going to happen for another three years.

Brianm
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Aug 2010, 4:00 pm

I would choose something I liked to do instead of going for the money.