Shrinking and expanding pictures in your mind? (sleeping)

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2021, 3:38 am

Sometimes, before falling asleep and somewhat ended up in a transition between awake and dreaming.

Usually consists of places I've likely never been. Or places I can't clearly remembered visiting.
Or random scenarios, as if it's a middle of a movie.

If I get too excited, the image will lose and I'd wake up.
Too lax, the rest would be a vague and blurry hard to recall and comprehend.

There were times I was able to will it to happen. Then there are times that just happen.

For now, I got nothing. It may come back, it may not.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Jayster
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Sep 2021, 8:41 pm

I had something like this happen a lot as a kid, and it still does on occasion. Only with me its with words. Like words would appear in my head but they would either looks huge and blocky or very tiny, sometimes switching back and forth and other times just staying the one size until I fell asleep.

They appear either by themselves or like a news cast scrolling by quickly on a white background. Never really understood why this would happen.

minibee
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Apr 2023, 5:26 am

I know this thread is very old, but I have EXACTLY the same experience as OP.
I was searching Google to see if anyone else had it and this thread appeared. Funny that it appeared on an autism forum, as I am autistic, so maybe related to that?
I would love to know what it is.
For me, same as OP, it happens before I go to sleep, in the dark. I can't control it. It's a bit scary, it's almost like visual sensory overload, definitely feels like my brain is overloaded when it happens, and I almost get a pressure feeling like my brain is going to explode too, but it's not a physical feeling/pain. It's very hard to describe. It's almost like a hallucination.
But everything OP described, happens to me also.
At least I know now, I'm not the only one! 8)

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2023, 1:29 pm

minibee wrote:
I know this thread is very old, but I have EXACTLY the same experience as OP.
I was searching Google to see if anyone else had it and this thread appeared. Funny that it appeared on an autism forum, as I am autistic, so maybe related to that?
I would love to know what it is.
For me, same as OP, it happens before I go to sleep, in the dark. I can't control it. It's a bit scary, it's almost like visual sensory overload, definitely feels like my brain is overloaded when it happens, and I almost get a pressure feeling like my brain is going to explode too, but it's not a physical feeling/pain. It's very hard to describe. It's almost like a hallucination.
But everything OP described, happens to me also.
At least I know now, I'm not the only one! 8)

A lot of weird stuff happens as you transition to being asleep. Hypnagogic hallucinations aren't unheard of in general. Sleep paralysis is probably one of the scariest, but usually subsides after a bit. I personally often times feel like I'm floating around and doing various loops as I drift off.