Is water really necessary for extraterrestrial life?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 9:22 am

Sure, on Earth, but why are scientists so sure that a planet would need water to have life?

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 9:29 am

Maybe as all life on Earth is made up of water in some form, it seems to be the most logical assumption/hypothesis. I really don't know the answer, but I think ice caps of some kind were also found on our moon and Mars at least (which is why some think life may/have been on Mars). Also, water had special qualities that other liquids and compounds do not have (that I am aware of), such as having a solid, liquid and gaseous form (all 3) and some other stuff I cannot think of. But if their was another special compound like water that could have all 3 solid/liquid/gas forms & such, I don't see why it could not support life.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 9:50 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
Sure, on Earth, but why are scientists so sure that a planet would need water to have life?

What scientists are "so sure" of that? What's your source on that? We do know that water is one element in which life has been observed, so water is certainly a good element to search for life in, but I don't know that there's any scientific consensus that a planet has to have water in order to hold the potential for some form of self-duplicating molecule.

Friskeygirl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 10:20 am

Interesting article on this topic

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/20 ... -life.html

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 10:46 am

I've always wondered this myself when watching TV on that sort of topic. Just because life as we know it on earth all depends on water doesn't mean there isn't an alternative out there.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 12:36 pm

Vince wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:

What scientists are "so sure" of that? What's your source on that? We do know that water is one element in which life has been observed, so water is certainly a good element to search for life in, but I don't know that there's any scientific consensus that a planet has to have water in order to hold the potential for some form of self-duplicating molecule.

I've seen many shows on History/Science channel where this serious-sounding narrator says that water is necessary for life to exist, and the camera is panning over some computer-generated image of a hypothetical alien planet, or a planet in our solar system, and they go on to talk about how they've seen far enough into the universe to discover other planets with water, blah blah blah.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 1:51 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:

It's not necessarily a given that extraterrestrial life would need water to survive. Life with the same biochemistry as on Earth would require water as solvent. However, other possible biochemistries have been proposed. Life with alternative biochemistry could rely on liquids like ammonia, methane, hydrogen fluoride or others instead of water:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypothetical_types_of_biochemistry#Non-water_solvents

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 2:57 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
I've seen many shows on History/Science channel where this serious-sounding narrator says that water is necessary for life to exist, and the camera is panning over some computer-generated image of a hypothetical alien planet, or a planet in our solar system, and they go on to talk about how they've seen far enough into the universe to discover other planets with water, blah blah blah.

Don't believe everything you see and hear on television.

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 3:23 pm

Lecks wrote:
CaptainTrips222 wrote:

Don't believe everything you see and hear on television.

I don't. I was just relating something I heard on TV. It would help if you read what I was responding to.

Jookia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jul 2010, 4:01 pm

We have only gone to the moon technically. We still have loads of surprises awaiting us. We can't predict how everything works based on us.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 4:10 pm

Actually, I've read the speculation on Ammonia-based life forms several times. Of course, I don't know what good it would do us to discover Ammonia-based life forms, since contact with them would likely be lethal to humans.

But nobody on this planet has yet proven how carbon and water based life forms arose, much less duplicated the feat, even at the most basic level, so its kind of overreaching our intellectual grasp at this point to speculate on other species. Wake me when somebody actually creates a single celled organism in a vat.

We don't yet understand the invisible patterns that cause sub molecular particles come together to form molecular particles, nor how it all manages to arrange itself into seemingly solid matter, which - surprise! - isn't solid after all.

Most humans are still looking smugly down their noses at each other because some consider themselves creationists and others atheists, when both groups are convinced their 'theory' is correct and the other is stupid for accepting their 'belief' on 'faith' in an unproven and unprovable idea. "Prove there's a God" "Prove there's not" - what if they're both wrong and the truth is something we won't come to even think of, much less understand for another six thousand years?

Provided of course, the petrochemicals in our oceans don't turn the planet into a dead stagnant reeking rock before then, or the radical Muslims take over the planet and outlaw all forms of learning outside memorization of holy scripture. Nah, probably more likely something involving Mah Jong Ill and Mumu Imadinnerjacket and the Chinese backing a nuke lobbing exchange - as long as there are central banks controlling imaginary bio-survival tickets, our alien progenitors will keep us immersed in fear and war. Gods forbid we ever actually get off planet and start meddling with their playthings...we're still only (barely) modified apes, after all...

Jookia wrote:
We have only gone to the moon technically.

You sure about that? The 'moon rocks' we gave the Dutch to put in their museum turned out to be plain ol' terrestrial petrified wood. Unless there's a forest on the dark side nobody's mentioned, that's kinda odd. My Moon globe doesn't show The Hundred Acre Wood :wink:

"Particles - there's a great future in particles. Think about it. Will you think about it?"

Jookia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jul 2010, 5:12 pm

Willard wrote:
Jookia wrote:
We have only gone to the moon technically.

You sure about that? The 'moon rocks' we gave the Dutch to put in their museum turned out to be plain ol' terrestrial petrified wood. Unless there's a forest on the dark side nobody's mentioned, that's kinda odd. My Moon globe doesn't show The Hundred Acre Wood :wink:

I don't actually care if we've gone to the moon, it's an example of how much we know about the universe. We're a tiny solar system compared to the trillions upon trillions outside of ours. We don't have everything.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 6:21 pm

Willard wrote:
You sure about that? The 'moon rocks' we gave the Dutch to put in their museum turned out to be plain ol' terrestrial petrified wood.

Thats actually a hilarious prank. I had never heard of that before, but whoever came up with it is pure genius.

Do you know of any other international incident pranks?

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 7:18 pm

How would we know an extra-terrestrial if we saw one? perhaps life on other planets is so advanced that they have cloaking devices operating full time. We are designed to sustain the forces of THIS planet, if there is life elsewhere, perhaps it does not exist on the same "spectrum" as we do, it does not depend on light, heat, water, etc.

I personally do not believe in extra-terrestrial life (with the exception of heavenand hell, which provides the basis of my argument) Heaven, being a spirit world is invisible to our human eyes, why not others.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 8:01 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:

Water is necessary for carbon based life.

ruveyn

nodice1996
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Jul 2010, 8:26 pm

Peko wrote:
Maybe as all life on Earth is made up of water in some form, it seems to be the most logical assumption/hypothesis. I really don't know the answer, but I think ice caps of some kind were also found on our moon and Mars at least (which is why some think life may/have been on Mars). Also, water had special qualities that other liquids and compounds do not have (that I am aware of), such as having a solid, liquid and gaseous form (all 3) and some other stuff I cannot think of. But if their was another special compound like water that could have all 3 solid/liquid/gas forms & such, I don't see why it could not support life.

Only Mars has Ice caps, it also has evidence of liquid water, such as eroded rivers and such.

Also, Ruveyn, who says all life is carbon based.