Moving to a different area (in the UK)

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

SmilerOnline
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jul 2010, 10:18 am

Well, I am planning to move to london near my family, but I find it very difficult and I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to possibly make it easier to move near to my family?

I can't really find the support to help me to move to london... I can't move into my parents property because they haven't got the space, and to be honest, I find that I need personal space, which is partly to do with my social skills, it is nice to be able to know that I can go home and have some peace & quiet away from anyone giving me grief about my problems

I currently live on my own in stoke and it feels difficult knowing I have no family around to spend a bit of time with every now and again... I miss being able to spend time with family and building up my social skills whilst I'm with them :cry:

Technology Enthusiast

Current Personal Goal: Moving to London

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 11:46 am

What kind of support do you feel would help?

SmilerOnline
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jul 2010, 11:49 am

I feel that its difficult to get a property in the london region so I'm hoping I can find help in getting a property in the london area

Technology Enthusiast

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 12:00 pm

Soooo... have you looked on letting agency websites?

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 12:01 pm

I'm planning to move to London too. My main concern is with my financial situation. Since I left university last year, I've been unemployed, and to live in London I'd need a decent-paying job if I wanted to live at all like a human being. Someone I know from university is planning to move to London too, so I might be able to share a place with him, but the rent will still be expensive and I really need some form of income.

I've got a 2:1 in Biology (Zoology) from the University of Durham, so at least I have something to work with. I've been looking at graduate jobs and internships, etc, but my perfectionism and tendancy to procrastinate is preventing me from actually applying for anything. I have no idea what I want to do, and I feel unqualified for everything. Does anyone have any advice that could help?

SmilerOnline
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jul 2010, 12:01 pm

Moog wrote:
Soooo... have you looked on letting agency websites?

I've looked on some but costs look a little high... I'm not sure if I could possibly get the benefits to help to pay for that whilst I look for work

Technology Enthusiast

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 12:04 pm

Could your parents maybe help you cover rent while you look for work? How fast do you think you'd be able to find a job? In my case, I'd really rather have that situation sorted before I take the plunge, but I have no idea how to go about it.

SmilerOnline
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jul 2010, 12:08 pm

KaiG wrote:
Could your parents maybe help you cover rent while you look for work? How fast do you think you'd be able to find a job? In my case, I'd really rather have that situation sorted before I take the plunge, but I have no idea how to go about it.

I've asked them for help, but they said that they are struggling to pay for their living costs alone (my mum, dad & little brother)

Technology Enthusiast

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 12:33 pm

This all sounds a bit too familair.

I've moved back down to my family in London after spending the last 5 years in Sheffield. I'm still too aclimitised to yorkshire. I forgot how rude and aggressive people can be down here.

I guess though im in some what of a better position then yourself smiler as I was able to move in with my father to avoid the extortionate rent and save up for a deposit when i return to work.

It sounds like from a practical perspective that you may have to stay in stoke for the moment to build up £££ in order to move.

What I would suggest is you try to see if a housing association can provide you with anywhere. Normally they will take into account things like you being closer to family members there. Playing up the AS diagnosis would help as well as you can kinda link being closer to your family as part of your circle of support to help boost your eligability.

BTW What area of London or home counties are we talking about here?

SmilerOnline
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jul 2010, 12:43 pm

@Laz

I'm trying to save some money in the hope that I can use that for deposit on a property... I think that I'm surely not going to be able to get a property with any of the councils down London, I've tried getting a place with a council down there but they said the highest band I can be in would be band D because I don't live in the area... but even though I have family down there they put me in band E... and basically I think that band E means that I've got no hope of getting a council property down there soon... I'd probably recieve a call when I turn 60 asking me do I still want a place in that region lol...

So at the moment I feel that without support to get a property it may be a little difficult to live near my family...

Technology Enthusiast

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 1:26 pm

Blimey you have no chance getting a place within London itself

You would have better luck trying home counties with housing association/social housing. Thats your only way realistically of coming back down here.

The rent in this region is an absolute rip off. London rent rates are extortionate you would find it cheaper paying a mortgage.

I'd never be able to get a place where my family grew up in north London on council or housing association. Doesn't help its become an affluent desirable area but even the dives are in demand.

SmilerOnline
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jul 2010, 1:29 pm

after thinking about it a bit, I think that I am going to be forced into living in rented accomodation for at least 6 months and then just hope that I can get a place through the local council in that area which is cheaper...

Technology Enthusiast

MotherKnowsBest
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 7:21 pm

Do you currently live in council accommodation? If so, you can look for an exchange instead. My friend used to live in London in a 1 bedroomed council flat and she wanted to live at the seaside so found someone who wanted to swap with her.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 7:25 pm

I wish you luck. :)

SmilerOnline
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jul 2010, 7:26 pm

MotherKnowsBest wrote:
Do you currently live in council accommodation? If so, you can look for an exchange instead. My friend used to live in London in a 1 bedroomed council flat and she wanted to live at the seaside so found someone who wanted to swap with her.

I'll have to look into that tommorow :D

@Cockney, Thanx mate!

Technology Enthusiast