Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 6:14 pm

I have been using my paypal account recently to order dolls and doll accessories for my sister. Each payment has gone through without a hitch, and everything i have sold on her behalf has been received without incident. The other day i got an email from paypal stating that my account had been placed on restriction (cant do hardly anything) until i provide proof of SSN Address and Photo ID. I have uploaded the requested files and am waiting on their response.

Is there some sort of unwritten rule on paypal? Perhaps guys should not be ordering dolls even if they are for a female family member?

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 6:21 pm

lol im sure its nothing personal against the dolls

probably just a regular security check, maybe because youve been making more transactions than normal or lots of overseas payments or summit?
as long as it wasnt one of those phishing things...

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 6:42 pm

just call them thats what i did :wink:

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 6:51 pm

MONIQUEIJ wrote:

"calling them" lol refer to my avatar, i cant handle talking to people i dont know over the phone, especially when there is a good chance their english will be difficult to understand.

thank for the advice though!

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 7:12 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
MONIQUEIJ wrote:

"calling them" lol refer to my avatar, i cant handle talking to people i dont know over the phone, especially when there is a good chance their english will be difficult to understand.

thank for the advice though!

lol worms

mv
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 7:15 pm

I hate to say it but I think you've been scammed. Especially since you were asked for so much personal information without talking to someone directly. It's a very old scam.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 7:21 pm

mv wrote:
I hate to say it but I think you've been scammed.

Yes. I get those kinds of e-mails all the time, and I can assure you that one did *not* come from PayPal.

You should call them immediately or do whatever you must to lock your account and protect whatever credit card or bank account you have attached to it!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 7:22 pm

mv wrote:
I hate to say it but I think you've been scammed. Especially since you were asked for so much personal information without talking to someone directly. It's a very old scam.

I dont think so, after i received the email i went (on my own) to paypals website where it confirmed that i had been restricted. I used three different computers to access paypal, thus eliminating the possibilty of malware on my machine. I was able to login but unable to complete financial transactions, and was directed to the resolution center.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 7:42 pm

thechadmaster wrote:
... proof of SSN Address and Photo ID.

I might be wrong, and I do know PayPal does have different requirements for different types of accounts, but I have never before heard of anyone ever having to fax or upload documents, and the effect has always been immediate every time I have had to prove identity with cross-checks and the like.

For example, I recently removed one "backup" checking account and replaced it with another, and PayPal was somehow able to even verify security checks I had just typed in at the bank ... and within seconds, all was done and well.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 7:50 pm

leejosepho wrote:
thechadmaster wrote:
... proof of SSN Address and Photo ID.

I might be wrong, and I do know PayPal does have different requirements for different types of accounts, but I have never before heard of anyone ever having to fax or upload documents, and the effect has always been immediate every time I have had to prove identity with cross-checks and the like.

For example, I recently removed one "backup" checking account and replaced it with another, and PayPal was somehow able to even verify security checks I had just typed in at the bank ... and within seconds, all was done and well.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the dy before i was restricted, i applied for a paypal DEBIT card? the resolution center said something about "financial industry regulations" i just dont get why they had to restrict EVERYTHING?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 8:02 pm

Well, the folks there are thorough and cautious, and they know their system does not always work perfectly. So, and on my assumption you do not have a merchant account or a *large* balance of cash in it, maybe they just restricted everything until all is in place and ready to smoothly click on along. The debit card comes out of a different department than the one responsible for the actual PayPal account ... and the last I knew, it all belongs to eBay and Ebay holds a tight rein on just about everything.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2010, 10:35 pm

I vote scam, Paypal does not do that. Report it to Paypal, there is a fraud link, check it out, forward what you got, and never reply to such things.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 1:24 am

Inventor wrote:
I vote scam, Paypal does not do that. Report it to Paypal, there is a fraud link, check it out, forward what you got, and never reply to such things.
it does do that if u are windrawing larger sum then usual paypal is updating your account to lift limits

Dilbert
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 2:18 am

This was most likely a scam.

A crook, probably from China or Eastern Europe so you can't even go after them, had attempted to log into your account just so Paypal would detect the attempt and lock the account and give you the appearance of a real problem. Then they sent you an e-mail that looked like it came from Paypal, which is extremely easy to do by the way. You replied and gave them personal information.

Others have told you to contact Paypal, and that is good advice. However you have a much bigger problem. They aren't just after your Paypal account. They want to steal your identity. You'll need to keep an eye on your credit report from now on, call your bank, make a police report, and register the identity theft with the credit reporting bureaus.

Also, Paypal is not a bank or a credit card issuer or even a real financial institution. Their users aren't protected under the laws governing the financial sector. There is no funds insurance, nothing! In theory Paypal could take their users' money legally. Suing them in civil court would be the only recourse. Paypal is convenient when everything goes well, and a NIGHTMARE when things go badly.

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 3:07 am

thechadmaster wrote:
I have been using my paypal account recently to order dolls and doll accessories for my sister. Each payment has gone through without a hitch, and everything i have sold on her behalf has been received without incident. The other day i got an email from paypal stating that my account had been placed on restriction (cant do hardly anything) until i provide proof of SSN Address and Photo ID. I have uploaded the requested files and am waiting on their response.

Is there some sort of unwritten rule on paypal? Perhaps guys should not be ordering dolls even if they are for a female family member?
too many people here have no experience what it comes to big money....personally i have hold over 2,000$ in paypal account a week and they asked me same things before i could get my moneys none of money got lost btw

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 9:43 am

Note to all present and future PayPal users:

PayPal hardly ever sends out e-mails for anything other than completed transactions and an occasional notice of policy update.

PayPal never sends out e-mails asking for personal information.

Any e-mail you ever receive from PayPal that is not from a completed transaction should immediately be forwarded to [email protected], then deleted.