Child actors gone bad, is it lack of christian values?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Mar 2006
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,848
Location: New Orleans, LA

19 Jul 2010, 11:06 pm

greenblue wrote:
well, as it can be seen in the cases of few former child celebrities that have gone bad, such as drug issues, scandals and having trouble with the law, as currently being the case with Lindsay Lohan.

One of the exception of this "trend" is former child actor Kirk Cameron. And here lies the following questions, did his christian values prevented him from falling like other former child celebrities? is he doing fine because of this? would he be in the same situations as the others if it wasn't for "finding God"? Does this justify the importance of being a christian? Does this justify Christianity?

If Lohan was a christian just like Cameron, would all have been very different for her?


If he had followed strict Muslim rules, he would have also made it through pretty okay. The religion doesn't matter so much as adherence to an idea of morality and law. His strict adherence kept him fairly well but left him fairly deranged as far as his take on the world. That's the problem with religion: it leaves an absolutely corrupted worldview for the sake of instilling morality.


_________________
Wherever they burn books they will also, in the end, burn human beings. ~Heinrich Heine, Almansor, 1823

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson


Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,223
Location: Alberta Canada

20 Jul 2010, 12:27 am

skafather84 wrote:
greenblue wrote:
well, as it can be seen in the cases of few former child celebrities that have gone bad, such as drug issues, scandals and having trouble with the law, as currently being the case with Lindsay Lohan.

One of the exception of this "trend" is former child actor Kirk Cameron. And here lies the following questions, did his christian values prevented him from falling like other former child celebrities? is he doing fine because of this? would he be in the same situations as the others if it wasn't for "finding God"? Does this justify the importance of being a christian? Does this justify Christianity?

If Lohan was a christian just like Cameron, would all have been very different for her?


If he had followed strict Muslim rules, he would have also made it through pretty okay. The religion doesn't matter so much as adherence to an idea of morality and law. His strict adherence kept him fairly well but left him fairly deranged as far as his take on the world. That's the problem with religion: it leaves an absolutely corrupted worldview for the sake of instilling morality.


My understanding is that Cameron found his faith on his own. I dont know about his family, but it was something that happened part way through his time on growing pains. If I recall the other cast members found him insufferable after that. Fellow cast member Tracy Gold was one of the troubled child actors that this thread pertains to.


_________________
davidred wrote...
I installed Ubuntu once and it completely destroyed my paying relationship with Microsoft.


Cheeseroyale34
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 9 Jul 2010
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 474

20 Jul 2010, 1:11 am

Quote:
One of the exception of this "trend" is former child actor Kirk Cameron. And here lies the following questions, did his christian values prevented him from falling like other former child celebrities? is he doing fine because of this? would he be in the same situations as the others if it wasn't for "finding God"? Does this justify the importance of being a christian? Does this justify Christianity?


Sure, "his" Christian values may have been part of saving him from the spiral that he was going down during his career, but consider many of the other "born agains" in Hollywood who have gone back to their former habits.

Remember when Paris Hilton picked up Jesus after her arrest in 2007? Well, since then, she has been arrested for possession of weed. What about Stephen Baldwin? Of course, his Restore Stephen Baldwin campaign is making him look like a martyr like figure who got persecuted by the liberal Hollywood establishment, when its really just a ploy to get him recognized for his inability to act and help pay off the massive debt he owes. More lying for Jesus!

And look at Kirk Cameron. He spreads anti-scientific information to individuals of all ages hoping to sell his bronze age vision of a God. Though he is a moral person, he is intellectually dishonest.

As to the relevance of Christianity being increased by people such as Kirk Cameron and Stephen Baldwin, I think that they are preaching to the choir. Their right wing beliefs and conservatism are a bit alienating to anyone who doesn't follow the "political Christianity" that they follow. And what about Mel Gibson! Would his Antisemitism and racism even exist if he was a good Christian? If there is anyone who I think would be the poster child for a sane form of Christianity in Hollywood, it would be Denzel Washington.



Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Age: 47
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,223
Location: Alberta Canada

20 Jul 2010, 2:10 am

Cheeseroyale34 wrote:
Well, since then, she has been arrested for possession of weed.


At the game in south Africa? It was my understanding that she was questioned and released. There is a difference between being arrested and being convicted.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/38 ... -World-Cup

Quote:
What about Stephen Baldwin? Of course, his Restore Stephen Baldwin campaign is making him look like a martyr like figure who got persecuted by the liberal Hollywood establishment, when its really just a ploy to get him recognized for his inability to act and help pay off the massive debt he owes. More lying for Jesus!


If ever existed a prime example of greasy hollywood actors, Stephen Baldwin is it. He has always looked like a slime ball to me. His got god campaign only reinforces that image.

Quote:
And look at Kirk Cameron. He spreads anti-scientific information to individuals of all ages hoping to sell his bronze age vision of a God. Though he is a moral person, he is intellectually dishonest.


Quite right.

Quote:
As to the relevance of Christianity being increased by people such as Kirk Cameron and Stephen Baldwin, I think that they are preaching to the choir. Their right wing beliefs and conservatism are a bit alienating to anyone who doesn't follow the "political Christianity" that they follow. And what about Mel Gibson! Would his Antisemitism and racism even exist if he was a good Christian? If there is anyone who I think would be the poster child for a sane form of Christianity in Hollywood, it would be Denzel Washington.


People like these are great for rationalism. As figures of intolerance and stupidity, their eructations are easy targets for pointing out the irrationalism of religion. The strawmen erect themselves, and follow up the act by hoisting themselves by their own petards.


_________________
davidred wrote...
I installed Ubuntu once and it completely destroyed my paying relationship with Microsoft.