Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 5:46 pm

I think I have aspergers but the thing is though I have not got the added benefit of it really running in my family to be honest. I am kinda scratching my head really to figure out why I am virtually the only person to have it in my entire family? Usually people with aspegers usually have parents or sibling with the syndrome, even though ths theaory has been debunked I think I might have been born as an NT but the vacanation I had when I was 2 years old against the measels might have caused mutations in my brain. Here is my close family history that I am at least aware off.

Farther - Neurotpical
Mother - Neurotpical
Brother- Neurotypical (Has been suspected to have ADHD)
Farthers farthers- Neurotypical
Farthers mother-Neurotypical
Farthers brother-Neurotpyical
Farthers second brother-Neurotpyical
Mothers mother-Neurotypical
Mothers farther-Neurotpyical
My 1st cousin on farthers side-Neurotypical
My other 1st cousin on farhters side-Neurotypical
My great uncle on farthers side-Neurotypical
My second cousin (suspected to have AS undiagnosed)

I must add that my farthers mother was ecentric but she died in 1997 and my dad himself can have problmes controlling his emotions and temper but these are only mild traits and he is not on the specturm. My mum is also quite shy but she is not on the spectrum. I must add though that my dads cousin does apperently have some communication problems and when my dad last met him at my great uncles funeral he was giggling like a girl and avoiding eye contact.

Basicly my dads cousin was laughing and giggling and being silly at his own farthers funeral.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 6:31 pm

Kind of unusual, but you don't have to have tons of family history in order to suspect having Asperger's. It's just very common to have at least one or two relatives who were alive during some point in your life who were diagnosed/displayed characteristics of Asperger's. But, who knows? You could have AS way back in your family, and it could've just skipped a few generations. Or it could just be a non-genetic case.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2010, 7:02 pm

I was told I had semantic pragmantic language impairment before.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 3:53 am

You do not have to have a family history to have something be genetic in origin. Many mutations manifest in an autosomal recessive pattern.

You have two of each gene in every cell in your body. Each gene in the gene pair is called an allele and you inherit one from each parent. For a recessive trait to manifest, you need both alleles in the gene pair to carry that trait. In other words, both of your parents must be a carrier.

In most situations, in your parents, the other allele in their gene pair for that gene will be "normal" so they do not manifest the trait.

Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 6:33 am

I don't really think autism is huge in the gene pool anyway. Seeing as it's become increasingly larger the past century... I don't want to start a whole debate about vaccinations amongst other things people assume cause autism. But, y'know, I'm just throwing that out there.

My family tree is far from neurotypical, though, there isn't any autism. Lots of bipolar, even some schizophrenia. :?

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 8:49 am

Well I think if I am on the spectrum I probably get it from my dads cousin because he displayed strong characterisics of someone who is on the spectrum like lack of eye contact etc..... Who knows maybe if I had more siblings they may have had AS Like I said my farthers mother was ecentric. I think autisim spectrum disorders are usually inherited from the farthers side.

One things for sure I am virtualyl surrouned by neurotypicals in my family so it does not make it any easier that I am the odd one out. My own brother who might have ADHD himself blows me off sometimes when I try and be social with his friends and is quite prejudice towards me sometimes without really knowing the facts. Probably because he belives the stereotypes of Autisim. Its just as dumb as hating black people becasue there black, its like neurotypicals cannot handle one little difference without getting intollerant.:evil: