Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 9:15 pm

What do they mean when they say 1 in 100 kids is diagnosed with autism? does that include AS? Seems like it'd be higher.

I also wonder about the rate of adults being diagnosed.

Last edited by MotownDangerPants on 19 Jul 2010, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 9:17 pm

I think they mean both classic autism and Asperger's.
It seems about right to me.

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 9:21 pm

MotownDangerPants wrote:
What do they mean when they say 1 in 100 kids is diagnosed with autism? does that include AS? Seems like it'd be higher.

last I checked it was 1 in every 110. Yes it does include AS and if you ask me the numbers are really messed up. This is why alot of adults are being diagnosed as awareness grows because it wasn't know when they were kids. Then when they are diagnosed thier numbers go into that years statistics so when the numbers are released again the odds a higher. this bothers me and I feal as though someone needs to go back and look at al the people's diagnosis's and have them put into their generation or put in the year they were 3 or so. this would give a much clearer and accurate rate but as it is the rating system seems a bit broken :(

hop this helps

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 9:23 pm

MotownDangerPants wrote:

I also wonder about the rate of adults being diagnosed.

I believe it does include AS. However it does not mean that literally 1 out of every 100 children is diagnosed with autism in each community and it does not mean that if you have a room of 100 children one will have some form of autism.

It means that based on given data, when they extrapolate, they get an estimate of 1 in 100.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2010, 11:30 pm

Yeah, 1:100 on average. Some places have more; some less.

The figure is the same for adults; several studies have confirmed that autism is just as common in adults as in children.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com