Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Dogenegra
Raven
Raven

20 Jul 2010, 10:26 am

I've started playing geetar, and I really really wanna make music, on the computer like... i dunno where to get started thought :S

Obviously a computer's a good start, but I dunno where to go from there... what programs to get, how to get the music on the computer, how to do drums etc

Any help would be must appriecatted :)

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 10:45 am

Audacity is something I used in college twice. It's pretty easy to use. A free copy of Fruity Loops is also good. I used to make stuff up on MIDI way back in the day. Ripping CDs and stuff you want to sample is a way to get music on your computer. I forgot which formats those programs use. Fruity Loops gives you random sounds, it's like a synth. It's really fun. Then you can play along on your guitar, if you want.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 10:48 am

Try Reaper. It's a pretty good and fairly cheap audio and MIDI sequencer. You can use that to record guitar parts. You'll also need a soundcard, and perhaps a microphone, depends how you want to do things. For drums, you can find all kinds of VSTi plug ins that are compatible with Reaper and other sequencers that can generate drum sounds. You can then program midi sequences to make drum patterns. The alternative to that is using sample drum loops, or getting a drum kit and micing it. That option is impractical for most of us.

Hope that's somewhat helpful to you.

Dogenegra
Raven
Raven

20 Jul 2010, 11:19 am

Cool :)

any idea what sorta computer would be the best to get?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 11:38 am

If you're doing music, you want a fast one with a fast processor(s), lots of RAM and a large hard disk.

Audacity is cool, though it might not do everything you want. Might be a good program to start playing with sound.

hans66
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2010, 11:56 pm

I have made some music several years ago. I used Cubase and a Roland XP-80 (a music workstation) for making my composition. The genre is disco, techno and ambient mainly, but I experiment with several measures, such as 5/8, 6/4 but mainly 4/4 and 7/8. The instruments (sounds) I use are a mix of typical synthesizer sounds (Sweep Pad, Saw Wave, Halo Pad) and realistic sounds (Flute, Oboe, Strings, Trombone).

Now I have new ideas, and I have a new synthesizer (which is a combination of a music workstation, a vocoder, a sampler, singing equipment). It is a Yamaha Motif XS7, a very expensive instrument.