Liking things that you are 'too old for'?

Page 4 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

mikey1138
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jul 2010, 10:05 pm

I have three children, which is the bestest excuse ever for not "growing up." My special interests have rubbed off on my kids (to an extent) so I'm totally justified buying Godzilla toys for my seven year old, watching cheeseball b-rated scary movies with my 12 y/o and talking anime and roleplaying stuff with my 14 y/o. I love being a dad so much! My wife jokingly, but in all seriousness, tells people we meet that she has four kids (referencing me as the fourth). LOL

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 1:04 am

KaiG wrote:
PunkyKat wrote:
I was always told by the other kids at school that Lion King was for babies.

Hah! The fools! I bet they felt stupid when they got around to reading Hamlet.

Nah, they were probably too ignorant to see the refrences.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2010, 8:54 am

Why insult Lion King.......The Iron Sheik should teach those punks a lessson and make them humble :x :lol: 8O

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 9:33 am

collectoritis wrote:
Why insult Lion King.......The Iron Sheik should teach those punks a lessson and make them humble :x :lol: 8O

It could have been anything obscure or wasn't the "it" thing anymore and they would have made fun of me for it. Perhaps it was becuase I had a true obsession and they thought that was weird. I've even been cyber bullied by supposed Lion King "fans". And, no, I do not forgive you, you Lilymud bastards!

lily81
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2010, 12:35 pm

one-A-N wrote:
Male, mid-50s, post-grad qualifications ... and I like Totaro, Nausicaa, Laputa, Kiki's Delivery Service, ... although I find Ponyo a bit young (willing to watch it again and see if it grows on me).

I have a half a dozen movies on my mp3 player ... they are mostly Miyazaki movies. I guess that shows which movies I really love. I don't know why, but I think I like Kiki's Delivery Service the best.

I love those movies too, Laputa has been my favourite since I was a child. I hadn't seen it for many years until last December when I discovered I could get it on DVD, I was really happy :)

Rachel88
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Aug 2010, 3:33 pm

well i still like High School Musical and im 22 lol :oops: *looks embarassed :(. even tho both zac and vanessa r kinda hot and gorgeous i cant deny it lol.

yeojjoey
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 Aug 2010, 4:12 pm

im like obsessed with collecting little plastic soldiers i have about 1,576,098,782 last time i checked it takes up a corner of my basement i even turned a sand box into a batttle feild with running water and air jets to simulate explosions

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 4:59 pm

Well, I saw some fur real friends toy not so long ago and I really really wanted it, so yeah. Infact I am planning on buying one sometime this week, not to play with but just to put on my shelf since it's special interest related.
Yesterday my mum's friend came over with her kids. Me, my brother and sister, and mum's friend's kids were playing a game where me and the oldest (15 next month but he's immature like me) were pretending to keep his bro and my bro and sis hostage and shooting eachother with pretend guns, and his sister who's 12 came in and was like "wtf" and acted like she was too old for those games even though a 17 year old was joining in.

frag
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 7:23 pm

It's extra hard doing things you are too old for in the early teen years. Once you are 20 you're far from childhood and then it is more acceptable in a way to do childish things. Then it's a quirk or something people actually find fun about you. When you're just past childhood, people will only think you are a little late with dropping the childish things and the pressure might be harsh.

Well... I don't mean "you"... I rather mean what I seen and about myself.

Yonako-Kitti
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Dec 2010, 7:29 am

I'm a huge fan of Pokemon and this girl said for me to "Stop watching childish s**t cartoons your f*cked up."
She really wasn't a nice person... D':
and Pokemon is NOT childish, it can be creepy as hell.

amanda952
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Dec 2010, 4:02 pm

I don't think it's strange at all to be 15 years old and still interested in cartoons and toys. I'm 19 years and still enjoy watching disney movies and playing with toys sometimes. I'm in college and me and the people in my suite watch disney movies and cartoons all the time. In fact, just yesterday we watched The Little Mermaid, Elf, and Finding Nemo. The other day we even spent a couple hours watching Phineas and Ferb. I remember in middle school it felt odd to still like that kind of stuff and for the most it seemed to be really uncool, but once you get to your later teen years all of that seems to change. When you get to your late teens you start to get this feeling of nostalgia and all the sudden you want to watch all your favorite cartoons and play with all your old toys again. It doesn't feel strange to like these things anymore, in fact for the most part it feels pretty normal.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2010, 4:04 pm

I'm 52 and I still like to do things that are child like. I just don't get caught.