Liking things that you are 'too old for'?

Page 1 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 12:58 pm

I'm nearly fifteen years old, and I have AS. I still like a lot of stuff 'younger kids' would like (examples: 'Totoro' and 'Doraemon' [which is anime that younger children like, and it's the only anime I like], Charlie Brown, 'Toy Story', etc.) despite the fact that my IQ is measured to be above average. Do any other Aspies have a similar problem?

Wuffles
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2010, 1:15 pm

Hell, yes. I'm 30 and I'm huge fan of computer games, literature for eight to twelve year olds, comicbooks. If people call me immature, I waggle my Ph.D. at them.

Don't apologize for liking this stuff, a lot of it is far more creative and imaginative than stuff for adults.

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 1:19 pm

this is everything i love still.

starquake
Raven
Raven

20 Jul 2010, 1:21 pm

sure, I was still playing with toy cars in my late twenties, and only stopped because I don't know in which box I put them when we've moved to our new house. also, I enjoy reading children's books, mostly from scandinavian writers like mauri kunnas, ole lund kirkegaard or astrid lindgren... their style simply is adorable.

Underachiever
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jul 2010, 1:49 pm

I still like cartoons and toys.

[quote]Do any other Aspies have a similar problem?[/quote}

I wouldn't call it a problem. We should be able to like whatever we want.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 1:51 pm

jmnixon95 wrote:
I'm nearly fifteen years old, and I have AS. I still like a lot of stuff 'younger kids' would like (examples: 'Totoro' and 'Doraemon' [which is anime that younger children like, and it's the only anime I like], Charlie Brown, 'Toy Story', etc.) despite the fact that my IQ is measured to be above average. Do any other Aspies have a similar problem?

That sounds like you just like cartoons and animation. I still love anything Pixar does, most of Disney, lots of Anime and a couple of western cartoons.

FredOak3
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jul 2010, 1:54 pm

Heck I'm 55 and have a plethora of toys and such on my desk. I still will watch certain cartoons with my kids (Chowder cracks me up) and will still buy a cool Hot Wheel if I see one.

A quote I often use...

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was"
--Satchel Paige

ksuther09
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jul 2010, 2:35 pm

Image[/quote]

OOoh! I like cartoons like Spongebob & a lot of the Pixar stuff too :) I think I might've figured out why I like kids movies (especially) better than 'grown up' movies even though I'm 26 years old: They are a bit more emotionally & generally visually less complex than typical movies. The humor is also a bit more literal and the plot is also pretty simple. Adult movies mimic the real (NT) world, and I think since it can be draining for me to be in the NT world at various times, I can 'escape' to a simpler world that kids enjoy as a release.

I like creative things like drawing and I do enjoy coloring books sometimes (especially ones with cute pictures). Luckily I have NT friends who enjoy those type of things (helps when a lot of them are teachers) so I don't feel out of place there.

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jul 2010, 3:24 pm

I still like Pokemon and videogames in general, though the concept of gaming being solely the province of children is slowly changing. I also still like children's cartoons, though I don't watch them as much as I used to.

Mutt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jul 2010, 3:26 pm

I wouldn't call it a problem. I'm 17. But I like to play with legos, like to read comic books, like Disney soundtracks, stick out my tongue at people sometimes, growl when I don't like something or someone, and like computer games. I like Naruto, and sleep with a plushie.

happymusic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 3:27 pm

I'm 35 and LOVE swings, trampolines and jokes fit for 6 year olds. I also really like stories that are aimed at the 15 year old demographic. And, yes, even much worse than that....I really like the Teletubbies.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 3:50 pm

I was playing with my windup tinplate Routemaster, just a week ago. I still love my toys.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 5:00 pm

I'm 51 and my desk is covered with Batman, Superman and Spawn action figures, Star Wars Pez dispensers, Hot Wheels cars, a ST-OS Enterprise, a miniature Gumby and Slinky and a Winnie the Pooh spoon-sitter and a glow-in-the-dark robot, both cereal box prizes from 40 and 20 years ago respectively. My office walls are covered with Beatles and KISS action figures, comic books and one Totally Stylin Tattoo Barbie. And sitting in the barber chair to my right, my roommate, a five foot tall doll.I may not be able to stop getting older, but I'll be damned if I'm ever just gonna roll over and grow up! :wink:

Last edited by Willard on 21 Jul 2010, 3:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 5:05 pm

...is that a RealDoll?

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 5:21 pm

:D Nope, its a BoyToy. Same designer, but these are modeled after comic book art, so look more like dolls than real people (they also have adjustable eyes and interchangable faces and hair so their look can be changed), and they're a limited numbered edition run. I think RealDolls are too real looking - they look like dead hookers. :? Thats kinda creepy.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 5:37 pm

45 and still watch cartoons and I have a stuffed rabbit collection and have stuffed penguins around and a stuffed Perry the Platypus from Phineas and Ferb-I dress in some brands of clothing that arent marketed toward my demographic but a younger demographic but jeans and a polo shirt are not much different from manufacturer to manufacturer-I go by price and I like the feel of some of those clothes so why not and I try to wear things without blatant names plastered all over it but a tiny logo if anything at all..