Liking things that you are 'too old for'?

Page 2 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 5:39 pm

Children's toys are about inspiring imagination. The shows and books for them usually are as well.

Adult toys and books and stuff are about maintaining a status quo, and conformity.

Why would I give up things to make me think in favour of things to placate me? I have no desire to be a social drone, so I will continue to imagine in the ways I can imagine, using whatever tools (aka toys) that are necessary, I will continue to participate in things that encourage me to question, instead of accepting.

I also find that things made for children are more grounded in reality. Things designed for adults.. especially entertainment-wise, are more based on "what NT's wish things were like"

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 5:44 pm

I don't consider myself or anyone else to be too old for anything.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 5:44 pm

I don't care what age group something is aimed at (within reason). I appreciate quality.

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 7:34 pm

Interesting. I must say that I'm a bit jealous of y'all that have managed to hold onto your childhoods so long after most have entirely forgotten theirs.

Me, I'm one of those that went straight from Bugs and Woody Woodpecker, to reading the encyclopaedia for fun, somewhere around, i dunno, age 11 or 12. 8O It seems like I've forgotten how to have fun, sometimes. Yeah. Envy. I'm pretty sure that's what I'm feeling right now. *scowl* Lucky b4$t4*d$.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 7:48 pm

Actually, when I was young I wasn't really into many especially childish things. I certainly recognised when something was insulting my intelligence. I liked quality entertainment for all ages, like Disney and Pixar, and still do.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 7:56 pm

I still liked Floppy Dogs and My Little Ponies at age fourteen.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 7:59 pm

I like colouring books. I like working with colour, but I don't like thinking of forms to arrange them in.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 8:21 pm

What problem?
Anyone who tries to tell me that I am the wrong age to like what I like can go copulate with themselves.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 8:29 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I was playing with my windup tinplate Routemaster, just a week ago. I still love my toys.

That is REALLY cool! Probably a collector's item. :D

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

beau99
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 8:34 pm

Yeah, it's not a problem.

Heck, my mom and dad still like cartoons and stuff like that, and my dad's over twice my age. And they're both NT as well.

My brother on the other hand, is in too much of a hurry to grow up. He's the one with the problem :D

Twitter: http://twitter.com/agenderstar

BriannaBee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jul 2010, 10:14 pm

It's not really a problem.

I still like to play computer games made for kids way younger the me like Putt-Putt, Pajama Sam, and Barbie. I also like some shows and movies made for little kids and I still like playing with Barbies sometimes. I like a lot of things that people say I'm too old for.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 10:48 pm

I was always told by the other kids at school that Lion King was for babies. I couldn't figure out why they didn't like it anymore. My parents didn't mind me watching TV shows aimed for preschoolers and my mum admits she played with her Barbies until she was 14. If customising and restoring counts as playing, I guess I still play with My Little Ponies and Littlest Pet Shop animals.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 10:51 pm

When I was a kid, up until around 16, I used to balk at liking kiddie stuff. I was an ADULT. I read adult books and had adult interests. My goal in life was to write THE GREAT AMERICAN NOVEL.

I still have those ideals now that I'm 30 but I LOVE kiddie stuff, especially teen shows. I find those fascinating. I could sit and watch the Disney Channel all day long.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 10:51 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
I was always told by the other kids at school that Lion King was for babies.

Hah! The fools! I bet they felt stupid when they got around to reading Hamlet.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 10:56 pm

I have lot of video games that are for kids and some movies and videos and I like Arthur and Clifford the Big Red Dog and Curious George and teletubbies. I also like to color.

Heck Disney is for everyone and my husband was very surprised when he saw no kids in the auditorium when we saw Toy Story 3. Everyone there were grown ups or teens.

I still have lot of my stuff from my childhood but left it all in Montana. I only brought a very few things with. My parents had to toss out our old puzzles and games because they got all moldly.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 2:11 am

Exclavius wrote:
Children's toys are about inspiring imagination. The shows and books for them usually are as well.

Adult toys and books and stuff are about maintaining a status quo, and conformity.

Why would I give up things to make me think in favour of things to placate me? I have no desire to be a social drone, so I will continue to imagine in the ways I can imagine, using whatever tools (aka toys) that are necessary, I will continue to participate in things that encourage me to question, instead of accepting.

I also find that things made for children are more grounded in reality. Things designed for adults.. especially entertainment-wise, are more based on "what NT's wish things were like"

Well said!

I say why limit yourself because of arbitrary societal pressure? I like what I like- period! I share many of the tastes of the previous posts. Pixar, for example.