Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2010, 6:26 pm

Ok, so who here doesn't have qualifications? Do you work? What is your job? How did you find this job?

When I search for work, I feel like there's nothing I can do. I have some basic qualifications from my manditory years, but unless working in the military, this doesn't seem to matter much.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 3:51 am

rmgh wrote:
Ok, so who here doesn't have qualifications?

i have qualifications but nobody is interested in 'em.

rmgh wrote:
Do you work?

for the last 5 years, no. i dread the thought.

rmgh wrote:
What is your job?

when i was working, i was an army slave for 4 years back in the 80s, then i was a civil service wage slave for another 18. during that period of government work i was an operating room technician [the guy who passes instruments to the surgeon] and was also a ward clerk as well as a billing coder. before all that, i had a number of mcjobs best left undiscussed.

rmgh wrote:
How did you find this job?

with the mcjobs i just showed up and they set me to work. these were jobs that nobody else wanted. with the army, i just signed on the dotted line and was uncle sam's slave for 4 long years. with the un-civil service i filled-out an application that was over 4 feet long! one long piece of paper with more blank spaces to put ink in, than i ever care to repeat. after 18 years of uncivil service, i got laid off courtesy of shrub. since then i have been caretaker for my mother and when she passed away, i then hermitted in my tin can out in the boonies for the last 2 years or so.

rmgh wrote:
When I search for work, I feel like there's nothing I can do. I have some basic qualifications from my manditory years, but unless working in the military, this doesn't seem to matter much.

ok, my question to you is why you left the military?

jdcnosse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 10:22 am

rmgh wrote:
Ok, so who here doesn't have qualifications? Do you work? What is your job? How did you find this job?

My only qualifications are my high school diploma. I don't currently work although I have worked in the past. I've worked for 2 different companies cleaning (I kinda liked it), those I worked both for a year. I've also worked for a book-making company, taking the books off the line, checking them to make sure they're is nothing wrong with them, and putting them in boxes. I worked that for 3 months because I got laid off.

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 10:39 am

auntblabby wrote:
rmgh wrote:

ok, my question to you is why you left the military?

I did not work in the military, I have only looked into joining. I did however join the police and left it because I am a pathetic softy. And I'm useless in the "comradery".

Every day I feel like giving in and just signing up (to the military or police) to have some purpose to my life, but I'm pretty sure it would be the worst thing I could do.

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 10:40 am

jdcnosse wrote:
rmgh wrote:

My only qualifications are my high school diploma. I don't currently work although I have worked in the past. I've worked for 2 different companies cleaning (I kinda liked it), those I worked both for a year. I've also worked for a book-making company, taking the books off the line, checking them to make sure they're is nothing wrong with them, and putting them in boxes. I worked that for 3 months because I got laid off.

That sounds like a really cool job. The book-making company one. Why did they lay you off?

jdcnosse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 11:01 am

rmgh wrote:
jdcnosse wrote:
rmgh wrote:

That sounds like a really cool job. The book-making company one. Why did they lay you off?

They were a Christian book-making company, and so their main product was bibles and other Christian-fiction books, but nonetheless their main customers were churches, who got their money from donations, and when the economy tanked, no one could donate, therefore the churches didn't need as many, and they had to lay me off.

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 11:12 am

jdcnosse wrote:
rmgh wrote:
jdcnosse wrote:
rmgh wrote:

They were a Christian book-making company, and so their main product was bibles and other Christian-fiction books, but nonetheless their main customers were churches, who got their money from donations, and when the economy tanked, no one could donate, therefore the churches didn't need as many, and they had to lay me off.

That's rubbish.

jdcnosse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 11:25 am

rmgh wrote:
jdcnosse wrote:
rmgh wrote:
jdcnosse wrote:
rmgh wrote:

That's rubbish.

Yea but there's nothing I could do about it. I was merely a part-time employee.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 12:24 pm

Can't you look into getting some qualifications?

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 12:27 pm

I'm no use at studying. And I'm not sure if I want to be a plumber or electrician.

jdcnosse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 12:28 pm

KaiG wrote:
Can't you look into getting some qualifications?

I'm not sure about him, but the problem for me is that no one will hire me in the field I want to work in without experience, and that means the only experience I can get is in school for 2 years.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Jul 2010, 8:57 pm

I have NO qualifications either except a high-school diploma & some work experience. I'm dyslexic & have ADHD & I can not learn from studying. I am NOT academically smart at all; I only did good in elective courses & I did horrible in the typical school stuff unlike most Aspies. I was extremely lucky that I graduated high-school. I was unemployed for a few years before I got my 1st job witch was a dish-washer. I had been putting in applications every month at places & almost never got calls for an interview because I had no work experience. I only got the dish-washing job because I have some disabilities bedsides AS & an employment agency found the job for me. I had a couple jobs sense then but I've been unemployed for a couple years now. I was on SSI before I started working my 1st job & it switched to Social Security Disability about 6 months ago. My parents are on my back a lot about me not working but I have no options. There is very little I feel I can do & I have no job opportunities here. Going to college would be a complete waste of money for me because I can NOT learn that way

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2010, 9:20 pm

I'm kind of the opposite. I have decent academic qualifications, but no work experience at all. I need to apply for things, but I just don't know what.

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 1:24 pm

nick007 wrote:
I have NO qualifications either except a high-school diploma & some work experience. I'm dyslexic & have ADHD & I can not learn from studying. I am NOT academically smart at all; I only did good in elective courses & I did horrible in the typical school stuff unlike most Aspies. I was extremely lucky that I graduated high-school. I was unemployed for a few years before I got my 1st job witch was a dish-washer. I had been putting in applications every month at places & almost never got calls for an interview because I had no work experience. I only got the dish-washing job because I have some disabilities bedsides AS & an employment agency found the job for me. I had a couple jobs sense then but I've been unemployed for a couple years now. I was on SSI before I started working my 1st job & it switched to Social Security Disability about 6 months ago. My parents are on my back a lot about me not working but I have no options. There is very little I feel I can do & I have no job opportunities here. Going to college would be a complete waste of money for me because I can NOT learn that way

When you were my age, did you feel like EVERYBODY else was students? I think everyone is now except from me.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Jul 2010, 2:35 pm

rmgh wrote:
nick007 wrote:

When you were my age, did you feel like EVERYBODY else was students? I think everyone is now except from me.

The high-school I went to was a Catholic college prep school. Most everyone planned on going to college or trade or technical school after except me. I had no plans & about the only thing I knew was that I did not want to go to college. I have low vision, I'm extremely nearsighted & have some colorblindness & it was not diagnosed till my senior year of high-school & rehabilitation services wanted to wait till after I graduated to start my case so I did not have a plan when most everyone else did. I still think I made the rite decision by not wanting to go to college after. When I was in school people kept insisting that I needed a high-school diploma to have job opportunities & I have a diploma & I'm in the same employment category on a job app as someone who does not even have a GED. I bet if I would of went to college & by some miracle be graduating; people would be insisting that I need more education & a higher degree to have a chance of success. I know people with college degrees & no disabilities who are having major problems finding jobs here rite now. I think education can be a never ending cycle; you can always have more & you can always get more qualified for a job.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 2:53 pm

I totally agree. Some people just study forever. For me, I was the only one who had a plan. Now, everyone who does not have a plan goes to university. They all get in and do stupid useless courses that only have about 5 people actually wanting to go into that career. I wanted to join the police because of course, I didn't know I had AS and I didn't know what problems I would have doing that job. But I don't regret leaving school. I hate not finding a job and I hate my parents always worrying about me and I of course hate how everybody ALWAYS presumes I am a student and thinks I'm some kind of drop out looser because I am not. But I am the way I am, and there's no point in pretending I am a student and going wasting time getting myself depressed. (more depressed)