Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

wonders
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jul 2010, 5:07 pm

I have been a barista ( espresso maker ) since 93 , but have not worked since we moved to Az since we moved into a tiny town that has no coffee .. sad on all accounts ! I have no hs diploma , couldnt keep school going it was waaaaay to painful . I have applied for all the jobs in town that I am actually quaified to do , but we are a seasonal town and so only in the winter are there jobs and people are 8 deep trying to get them . I had our local small grocery store keep telling me to come back next week for like 3 MONTHS and I kept getting dressed up and going in there only to discover the owner had no intention of hireing me , she was waiting on two of the snowbirds to come back that she has been hiring many years in a row not .. sigh .. I dont mind that she was loyal to them . I mind that after asking her straight out " am I wasting our time coming in here ? " she lied and said oh no . please come back next week .... I have been unemployed now for 2 years and I hate it . I hate living on less than 300 a month ..( thats the payment on our house we sold to come down here .. )

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 6:11 pm

rmgh wrote:
I totally agree. Some people just study forever. For me, I was the only one who had a plan. Now, everyone who does not have a plan goes to university. They all get in and do stupid useless courses that only have about 5 people actually wanting to go into that career. I wanted to join the police because of course, I didn't know I had AS and I didn't know what problems I would have doing that job. But I don't regret leaving school. I hate not finding a job and I hate my parents always worrying about me and I of course hate how everybody ALWAYS presumes I am a student and thinks I'm some kind of drop out looser because I am not. But I am the way I am, and there's no point in pretending I am a student and going wasting time getting myself depressed. (more depressed)

Is there anything preventing you from going to university yourself, though? Or some kind of community college? Sure, many of the courses may seem useless, but the point is that doing a degree proves to prospective employers that you can finish something and that you have, at the very least, the basic intelligence to do so. My student advisor told me that even if the degree is completely unrelated to a job you might want or your aspirations, any degree is a boon to have.

rmgh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 6:41 pm

KaiG wrote:
rmgh wrote:
I totally agree. Some people just study forever. For me, I was the only one who had a plan. Now, everyone who does not have a plan goes to university. They all get in and do stupid useless courses that only have about 5 people actually wanting to go into that career. I wanted to join the police because of course, I didn't know I had AS and I didn't know what problems I would have doing that job. But I don't regret leaving school. I hate not finding a job and I hate my parents always worrying about me and I of course hate how everybody ALWAYS presumes I am a student and thinks I'm some kind of drop out looser because I am not. But I am the way I am, and there's no point in pretending I am a student and going wasting time getting myself depressed. (more depressed)

Is there anything preventing you from going to university yourself, though? Or some kind of community college? Sure, many of the courses may seem useless, but the point is that doing a degree proves to prospective employers that you can finish something and that you have, at the very least, the basic intelligence to do so. My student advisor told me that even if the degree is completely unrelated to a job you might want or your aspirations, any degree is a boon to have.

I hear what you're saying. But I was pretty useless at school. My grades were never up to the level of my understanding. I'm terrible in the whole studying situation.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Jul 2010, 6:50 pm

Could you get a part-time minimum wage job rite now rmgh :?: Maybe you could do that so you can get some work experience & work your way into a better job. That's kind of what I did with that dish-washing job. After working there for about 10 months; I put in an application at WalMart in the beginning of November & I was hired rite away cuz Christmas holidays wer coming up. I have 38 months of work experience rite now & I occasionally get interviews for jobs but I don't get hired for em. I want to find a job I think I mite could do fairly well & has some sense of stability because I don't want to risk screwing up my disability benefits if I'll lose the job rite after. I ran up a lot of debt a couple years ago that I'm still paying off because my last job didn't work out & only lasted about 3 months(long story). But anyways if you have no income at all rite now & won't risk losing anything by working; starting at the very bottom or even trying volunteer work mite be a good way to get some experience & possibly network with other people so you could try working your way up

~King Of The Hill

"Hear all, trust nothing"

~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 7:29 pm

rmgh wrote:
KaiG wrote:
rmgh wrote:

I hear what you're saying. But I was pretty useless at school. My grades were never up to the level of my understanding. I'm terrible in the whole studying situation.

I was much the same, although I don't seem to have found it as difficult as you have. My teachers always said that I was gifted but that I didn't fully apply myself. I'm lucky in that my natural fear of failure causes me to always hand assignments in more or less on time; I just wait until the last minute to begin them.

If you have an Asperger's diagnosis, many universities will offer support with difficulties like organisational skills and getting yourself studying, like student advisors or a helper you can talk to who will urge you to do what needs to be done. So long as you feel you are intelligent enough and capable of understanding the course material, I don't think you should write it off completely.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 8:01 pm

I do not recommend going to college, unless you plan on going into a technical field. Nobody I know that's graduated from college in the past 3 years has a good job. They're all working dead-end, minimum wage jobs that they could've done right out of high school. I don't know how bad the situation is in France, though. Also, college usually gives you a poor education, and doesn't help you to survive in the real world.

You said you're not sure if you want to be a plumber or electrician. You should contact your local union for one of those trades, and ask if you could work as a helper. Say you're interested in the trade, but you want to see what it entails before you apply for an apprenticeship.

You could also work translating websites from English to French, and vice versa. The game company Blizzard might be looking for someone to do that. However, I think you need to know some programming to do that.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2010, 8:16 pm

Cyanide wrote:
I do not recommend going to college, unless you plan on going into a technical field. Nobody I know that's graduated from college in the past 3 years has a good job. They're all working dead-end, minimum wage jobs that they could've done right out of high school.

It's not the best time to be looking for a first job right now, thanks to the recession. In fact, going to university right now would be good for keeping one busy while the job market recovers, and gaining a qualification out the deal at the same time.

ZyklonB
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jul 2010, 8:44 pm

I have don't have any qualifications or college degrees. I do have a high school diploma. (I'm 21)
I had one job sweeping floors for about 6 months in 2008, but I'm not sure if I got fired or I just left.

Right now I can't get a job due to being horrible at interviews. Realistically I probably won't get anywhere in life.