Told to change your special interest?

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2010, 3:21 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
Hence, never have a person as a special interest. It will only cause harm. A fictional person is okay (JAIME LANNISTER!! !), if you don't mind getting laughed at (and accused of Leather Pantsing, if the character in question is a villain, or in this case looks like a villain if you tilt your head just right and an antihero if you look from another angle), but you should try to temper that if you're ever speaking to the author. Plus, what happens if it turns out you suddenly find yourself in an alternate universe where he's real? (In the case of me and Jaime, I would end up lied to and taken advantage of and probably dead, if he noticed me at all. Renly Baratheon would be more helpful.)

Is that any clearer?

Do you go on TV Tropes by any chance?

AnonymissMadchen
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Jul 2010, 5:34 pm

My dad considers WWII to be strange, bizzare, and completely unacceptable.

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2010, 5:48 pm

AnonymissMadchen wrote:
My dad considers WWII to be strange, bizzare, and completely unacceptable.

No it's not, it's a very interesting moment in history. Your father doesn't know what he's talking about. Nice Tanya Pavelovna avatar by the way.

Assembly
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jul 2010, 8:04 pm

I can somewhat relate to what your father is proposing. Don't get me wrong, I don't emphatize with him, and I don't like being told what to do myself. It's important to remember that he's just worried about your future like any other parents, and isn't able to see it from your perspective. That doesen't make his view right, it's flawed and a result of black/white thinking, but he's doing this becausecares about you. Gaming is fine if you don't overdo it or get to the point where it's an obsession and it's no longer enjoyable. Someone who watches tv shouldn't complain about how gaming isn't productive, however theres a fine balance between taking an interest in games and being an addict. Most people are able to find that balance, others are not. I was a gameaddict myself for 2 years and I was close to ruining my future and while I did enjoy gaming when I first started (and still do)
those are two years of my life that I won't get back. Like I said it's possible to find a balance, yet it is often hard to admit to oneself when that balance has been broken. Don't use gaming/or any other interests to surpress serious issues like depression/anxiety, it's something that we aspies/auties are known to do, but it doesen't fix your problems it just makes them worse. The reason I got addicted to games in the first place was because I suffered from depression, and used gaming as a way to ignore this state of mind. Having been a game addict is something that I'm very ashamed of and haven't admitted to anyone (though they probably suspected it anyway) which made it even harder to quit - pride and ignorance are lethal when combined with depression.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 10:18 pm

rmctagg09 wrote:

Yes, I do. I take it you do as well. :D TV Tropes rocks.

NOT A DOCTOR

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2010, 10:39 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
rmctagg09 wrote:

Yes, I do. I take it you do as well. :D TV Tropes rocks.

Makes sense, as it does have a fair number of people with ASDs and we generally get attracted to our favorite interests like moths to a lightbulb. Indeed, it is awesome, and I do go there fairly often.

Antares
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jul 2010, 3:39 am

I used to get told to change; and it seems like some of my interests aren't socially acceptable so I just don't talk about them. Much easier.

My mother used to tell me I should read less, so I could go outside and play with the other children - that didn't happen. And more recently, I was told by lots of people I shouldn't lift weights because I'd look like a man (not true: women don't have the hormones to get huge unless they take steroids, and they have more bodyfat, too). I got told it was unfeminine to do Brazilian jiu jitsu, as well. It's amazing how ready people are to lecture on subjects they're ignorant of.

FireMinstrel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 5:40 am

I've learned to keep my special interests(videogames and classic rock) to people who I know will be interested. That said, my mom actually enjoys picking my brain on the classic rock thing, and since I play musical instruments, I think people think my knowledge is just par for the course. The videogame thing actually intersects with music, as I LOVE soundtracks for many RPGs.
Incidentally...GOLDEN SUN 3?!?!?!?! SWEET!! !! !! !! !

Followthereaper90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 6:55 am

bee33 wrote:
It sounds like he's just asking you to spend less money, not change your special interest.
ditto this is exsacly why i like pc gaming u dont have to pay anything from most games and if i have extra money i will then support game makers by buying stuff :P