Page 6 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 5:34 am

I also knew one girl whose name was Malwina - it's a rare name in here.

Midna
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2010, 3:39 pm

Midna is an extremely rare name, especially around here. I know someone with that name and it made it way to Zelda. Midna has also played Zelda for 64.

I want to change my name to Midna legally becuase. It's so funny when I got Zelda for Christmas and remember seeing Midna (character) for the first time lol.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 4:40 pm

EDIT: sorry for the length; names are one of my special interests.

My husband's name is a play on words. He gets teased about it to this day...he planned on taking my name at our wedding until his b***h of a mother threw a temper tantrum and said she would not come if he did that. His mother was determined to name her son one certain name, and it didn't matter one little bit to her that her married name made his into a joke. I also have a friend whose parents named her Angel, with their last name being Wing...she goes by Annie and changed her name to her husband's when their first child was born.

I like unusual names. We're childfree, but my husband and I did agree that we like the name Gabriel Caleb for a boy. We vary on girls' names...I love Isabella, but ATM is it the most common girls' name in the US. (James for boys, another favorite of mine.) I wouldn't feel right naming a girl Isabella for that reason. I also like the names Elaine and Mariah a lot; my husband doesn't. He's all about the name Gabrielle, which I dislike. I think if I got to name a girl, though, her name would be Elaine Simonne, called Ellie or Elle.

Simonne (a common middle name in my family) makes me think of ordinary names with unusual spellings (Simonne is pronounced sih-MAHN, not sih-MOAN or see-MOAN or any permutation thereof). I have a friend whose daughters are named Phaith, MeKella, and BryAna. (Faith, Michaela, and Brianna being more typical spellings.) Those girls are going to hate having to spell their names over and over for years.

I know a couple who I think did a good job with their three sons. Their boys have unusual names that people have still heard and know how to spell. They are Quinn, Cole, and Dex. (Dex is a nickname; his real name is pretty awful IMO.) I think that's the way to go...pick a name that's not overused but heard enough that people know how it's spelled. Don't play around with funny spellings. (Personally, I happen to like the double "N" in Simonne, but it can be a PITA getting people to say and spell it right.) Say the name out loud to yourself and to others. Gauge their reaction (I really wonder if my husband's parents did that; if not, maybe they should have.) No matter what name you give your child, some one is likely to find it awful (my husband thinks Elaine is a spectaularly ugly name, for example), but if there aren't 12 other kids with the same name in their class, if it's a name people can say (one of the problems with lovely names like Nimue or Midna), and a name without too much of a goofy spelling, they'll probably be okay with it.

But maybe not. I have one of those names for a first name...and I go by my middle name of Simonne or by my nickname Rose. I only use my non-overused, simple to say, ordinarily-spelled name in professional situations. Why? I felt it was too ordinary!