Page 4 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 2:02 am

I knew a guy named Jesus Bastardo. Ya gotta feel sorry for him.

I named my two children Alice and Alan because I wanted names that wouldn't be common as dirt but not so odd as to attract mockery.

Did you know that John Wayne's real name was Marion Morrison? Imagine a tough hero named Marion. :roll:

I didn't like my last name so I changed it by deed poll before I had children. My father was pissed off but too bad. I wasn't going to put my children through what I had to put up with.

However my daughter has given her two daughters dumbass hippie names. Not just the first name but the last name too. That means that husband, wife, and two children all have different last names.

I said to my daughter and her husband "When those girls are old enough to understand what you have done to them they are going to HATE you".

They brushed me off but I swear that those girls are going to be REALLY annoyed when they realize what silly names they are stuck with.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 2:36 am

Every parent has a full right to name their kids as they want and if for the said kid it's the opinion of their friends on their names which is more important than their parents' one, then let they go to live with their friends, let the friends of them give them food and the roof above their heads - it's parents who decide on anything concernig children, as it's they who are doing all of this. I would LOVE to have a REALLY unique name instead of this boring Magda one. My stupid mother gave me it instead of the name Oliwia she was initialy planning to give me - back then, it was a really rare name in that generation, though now it's one of the top most common baby names. When parents give a boring, run of the mill name to their children, it's like they were informing them that they are just boring, ordinary, run of the mill people and must remain so forever. For me an ordinary, normal, run of the mill child (I'm not going to have any but I'm thinking about it in theory) is something I wouldn't be able to accept in the same way as others wouldn't be able to accept a child working as a prostitute.

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 3:14 am

Names are important. "Clint Eastwood" is a cool name but what if the same person was named "Wilber Beanblossom" or "Melvin Lipshitz"
Marilyn Monroe was really named "Norma Jeane Mortenson"?

If you were a girl would you be part of the "popular" crowd if your name was Sadie Clunkbucket?

I don't think so.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 3:22 am

Being popular has NOTHING to do with the name you have because it's just strictly connected with your personality, anyway I AM a female.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 1:02 pm

There actually is a correlation between life experiences and your name. Everything from people willing to befriend you to employers deciding not to even consider your job application.

There's also the issue of some names actually being abusive. I once read somewhere about a little girl that was named Sh*t Head. How is that the parents' right?

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 2:24 pm

But this correlation must concern just those most extreme cases like the one given by you.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 2:46 pm

Irulan wrote:
But this correlation must concern just those most extreme cases like the one given by you.

Depends on the area you live. Here in the US, many employers have admitted to throwing an application away because the name was too complicated or sounded 'too black/foreign'.

I'm not saying they're right to do this. Just that we need to be realistic about the very real possibility that our children may be discriminated against based solely on their name. Especially when the communication is through means that do not involve face to face conversation.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 2:48 pm

And... I didn't even cover when people assume certain personality traits based on a name. That happens all the freaking time.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 3:05 pm

I wish I had a rare name, my name is too common for my liking since so many people my age have my name. I like names such as willow and forest and other "mystical" sounding names. And I'd like to meet someone with a name inspired by ancient mythology, like cleopatra or aphrodite or something, I kind of wish I had a name like that myself. When I have kids, I want to be unique with my names within reason, they will be well known and I wouldn't pick something ridiculous of course but it would still sound pretty and exotic. I don't like common names like "Dave" or "Fred", there are too many Daves as it is.
My sister's name is fairly rare, her name is Tamsin.
My dad wanted to name me or one of my siblings Dakota, but my mum wouldn't have any of it. I love that name and would pick Dakota over boring old Sophie any day. I'm thinking of naming one of my kids that when I'm older, both because I like it and also I know my dad would love that. (Also my grandad, because he's obsessed with american indians so he would like a name like "Dakota".)
I once came across a man who works at my college who's called Devine, which is awesome.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 9:02 pm

I've also known a girl who was a friend of my sister named "Surerain" (Pronounced exactly like the two words, "sure" & "rain" put together). I think she's had it changed since then though...

FerrariMike_40
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jul 2010, 9:23 pm

My name is Mikhal, pronounced mee-kahl. No Americans I know pronounce it like that. Michal, pronounced the same way, is the Czech and Polish version of Michael, and Mikhail is the Russian variant. My mom has always taught me to be proud of my culture, and she wanted to give me a Czech name, so she decided on Michal but added the k so it was more distinguishable. Her dad is Czech, and my biological father was Serbian, so I'm 3/4 Slavic and very proud of it.

This girl I know who is Swedish is named Katje, she's very cute and nice :) :oops:

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 11:19 am

I was named after my fathers favorite baseball player from the 1943 Pittsburgh Pirates and his last name became my middle name and my name is not very common at all and have been teased horribly through my life and had it mispronounced many times so I just go by my initials CR-and no the R isnt for "rumplestiltskin" either-so with that info about the origins and the initials it shouldn't be hard to figure out :D :D :D

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

29 Jul 2010, 12:58 pm

I knew a girl in middle school whose name was Zoe. I always loved that name. I figured if I ever felt the need to reproduce that I would name a girl Zoe.

Zoe means life.

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 2:32 am

Why do people impose meanings on names? Are they trying to impose their "purpose" on the child? Let the child define themselves, names are but a label to make identification easier. If we want names to have meanings, let that meaning derive from the life we live, not some silly precognitive or predictive hope to define by the naming itself. If we want names to describe us, then we should choose our own name when we come of age.... Though some culture groups do have such customs, those names are seldom used in daily life, and are often required to be chosen from a short list of historical names, (such as catholic confirmation names... can't see a priest allowing someone to use "Heathen" as a confirmation name, though i'd give a lot of money to watch the discussion that ensues the attempt)

Variant
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2010, 7:51 am

Exclavius wrote:
If we want names to describe us, then we should choose our own name when we come of age....

I agree, I've thought that such a custom should be established for quite a while now, mostly because I dislike my name and know I would've chosen a different one for myself.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 7:54 am

I love the Chinese custom, according to which parents create the names for their babies on their own.