Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

FatherWarrior
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jul 2010, 11:50 pm

This is for all of you parents with small children on the Spectrum that are having a hard time getting the regular exercise you need. I was going to post this link in the Health and Fitness section, but thought it would be more appropriate in the Parent's Discussion. (Please note: I do not work for Chariot Carriers. I'm just a very happy customer.)

Father Warrior: Taking Care of Yourself

bjtao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2010, 8:23 am

Thanks for the reminder. I have been struggling with not being able to take care of myself. The past 2 years have been H eee double EL in my household and I have completely neglected myself. It was taking over an hour to leave the house in the morning - and I mean from the time we are all ready, standing at the door, to getting to the car. There were hours and hours of rages most nights. Getting up in the middle of the night. 10-12 doctor appointments a month, dozens of phone calls to find docs that will take us, changing insurance, getting approvals, ER visit, etc...all while trying to take care of an infant and keep my full time job (and I am single). Not to mention the divorce and buying a house, and my other child's health problems.

I am trying to get to a point where I can take care of myself...it is very challenging. I feel like crap. I am just venting.

FatherWarrior
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Aug 2010, 10:07 am

bjtao wrote:
Thanks for the reminder. I have been struggling with not being able to take care of myself. The past 2 years have been H eee double EL in my household and I have completely neglected myself. It was taking over an hour to leave the house in the morning - and I mean from the time we are all ready, standing at the door, to getting to the car. There were hours and hours of rages most nights. Getting up in the middle of the night. 10-12 doctor appointments a month, dozens of phone calls to find docs that will take us, changing insurance, getting approvals, ER visit, etc...all while trying to take care of an infant and keep my full time job (and I am single). Not to mention the divorce and buying a house, and my other child's health problems.

I am trying to get to a point where I can take care of myself...it is very challenging. I feel like crap. I am just venting.

Venting is the 2nd step toward a resolution. Recognizing there is a problem is the 1st. As you know all too well, life can get so crazy that you don't even know (you don't even care) that you're out of shape. Since posting this thread, I've actually come up with a new solution for myself. Instead of stuffing my face at work on my breakfast and lunch breaks, I just walk during both breaks. That adds up to 1 hour of walking a day (3 hours a week), and a whole lot of stress relief. I feel better at work and I feel better at home.

angelbear
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 2:27 pm

Hi BJ, you have so much going on----Is there any family that you could ask for some help? You just seem to have so much on your plate........Maybe just help for now until you can get through this really rough patch that you are going through?

bjtao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2010, 9:21 pm

I am either laughing or crying all the time...have to laugh, although I feel like it is kinda crazy to laugh...lol. There is just so much irony in everything in my life. My father tries to help out, but there is just so much that I have to be there for, that other people can't handle because only the parent can. I keep trying to walk on lunch, but I have to do grocery shopping, go to appointments, work through lunch, etc...I really do need exercise. I used to exercize 45 min every single day. I miss that. Sometimes I just don't see an end to all the hard work and stress. Doing better than I was, was near my breaking point sometimes but pushed through. I just need to get through it. There is no room for balance right now. I appreciate everyone's advice and support here regarding my 10 yo. I have not found help to deal w/ my 18 month old's health issues though because his issue is very rare and not fully determined yet. Thanks for the support!! !

I guess I could find a way to walk on lunch 3 days a week...you are getting me thinking, that is good.