I've chosen a very controversial path for an aspie

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Brandon_M
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2010, 4:03 am

Yes, i've read through many do's and don'ts for aspies as far as the work force is concerned. Although most go to college to work on their strong points and build on them to find a suitable career, i've decided to do just the opposite and work on something that can actually change my life for the better. Due to lack of understanding in some areas of the subject, i've decided to pursue an education in psychology.

It's a risky move, but if I actually make it through the six years required, worst case scenario I gain a new understanding of the world around me. If I learn by the book, I also eliminate bias during evaluations and study my patients by the book. Because of my analytical mind, if I don't have the solution to my patients problems then, I know it will be running through my head until I come up with one. The courses they offer covers everything from developmental psychology to facial expressions. I can give advice through systematic approach instead of drawing primarily from past experiences and preconcieved notion on how things should be. Although I don't have the same balance as other psychologists, I can use reason same as the rest.

Better yet, I have an idea to work primarily with disabled patients and drug dependents. I would like to help them develop systems for living and coping mechanisms to help them with the situation they are given. I've screwed up so much in my life, taking many wrong turns, a couple of which almost led me to death. Luckily, i've cleaned up and wish to help others who are suseptible to the same mistakes. I've done a semesters worth of study already and I find it fascinating. I will find out soon enough if i'm to continue with it.

Molecular_Biologist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Jul 2010, 4:06 am

I wish you well.

Didacticity
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jul 2010, 4:49 am

I don't remember the exact quote, but Walter Benamin wrote that no man ends up excelling in a field unless he at first experiences an intrinsic lack in it.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 5:32 am

Good luck. I'm thinking of pursuing a career in counseling/therapy.

I like that thought, Didacticity.

curlyfry
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 8:08 am

You should do fine especially if it fascinates you already. Plus, it seems people appreciate opening up to those who have gone through the same stuff.

criss
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 8:36 am

Wishing you well. I like your spirit.

I am a trained therapist, but my
greatest training has been my
suffering and loneliness, which
through greiving I found meaning
and compasion. First for myself
and then others.

Chris

"We are here on earth for a little space to learn to bear the beams of love." (William Blake)

Thank God for science, but feed me poetry please, as I am one that desires the meal & not the menu. (My own)

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 10:19 am

Excellent! Good luck! It's wonderful to find something you love and then do it for a lifetime. I'm sure you will do well.

book_noodles
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 10:28 am

As of right now I've planned to major in premed/biology and psychology so I can eventually become a psychiatrist.
I'm interested in developmental disorders. (Is that surprising? :roll: )

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 4:15 pm

I always thought that Aspies have an advantage in the study of psychology, because they naturally use their intellect to examine human behaviour from childhood instead of having automatic empathic understanding.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 10:01 pm

I don't think it's controversial...maybe because I've thought of doing that career myself. I wish you success!

ksuther09
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jul 2010, 4:42 pm

I don't think going into psychology is weird at all. I have a degree in Human Development and Family Studies. One thing to watch in the field is that people are sensitive to certain issues that they may have gone through themselves, and so they might expect you to respond empathetically before responding analytically. I accidentally responded analytically to something a co-worker brought up in a summer internship and she was looking for a more empathetic response. The good thing about being analytical is that it will be easier to memorize DSM-IV criteria for stuff :)

By the way, I don't know if you knew this, but Temple Grandin has her BS in Psychology and went for her MS, but changed her major to animal science part way through her grad program. So you are definitely in good company :)

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jul 2010, 10:03 am

Good luck with your chosen path!

I also don't think it's controversial at all - in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the mental health field had an ASD representation. Apparently many people who go into the mental health field have some issues themselves :lol:

I'm currently studying social work, which is somewhat related to psychology.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!