Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ninja4life
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Jul 2010, 8:45 am

Hi there

Wanting to create an on line community here for enterpreneur autists and autists with interest in enterpreneurship. Post.

Rgds

MONIQUEIJ
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 5:22 pm

good idea

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 5:31 pm

Having been through attempting entrepreneurial endeavors, and failing miserably at all of them, then learning the reasons behind the failures are almost all directly attributable to my Autism, all I have to say is, "Good luck with that."

Don't mean that to sound negative, really. I don't think it's true that Autism means one CAN'T succeed at being an entrepreneur. It's just that my own experience wasn't very good at all in terms of success. I learned a lot, yes, but was never able to make any of it work in terms of financial returns.

I would however, LOVE to keep an eye on whatever it is you do, if you ever get your ideas off the ground (the community idea, I mean). I wouldn't mind learning whatever concepts, tips and tricks anyone with Autism uses, who IS a successful entrepreneur. I haven't totally given up the idea for myself. I'm just pretty skeptical lately given so many past failures. Maybe, with some input from others who somehow manage, even with Autism, I might be able to figure out how to get out of the rut! 8)

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Invader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2010, 5:49 pm

ninja4life: I'm part-way to a business degree and would also be interested to see how this turns out. I see no reason why people on the autistic spectrum can't become entrepreneurs with enough hard work. It may be harder at times for autistic people than it is for ordinary people, but many autists have their own unique advantages which could be put to great use with the right amount of effort.

MrXxx: This may sound like a cliche (Well... "May"... Ok, it will) but you never fail until you stop trying to succeed. The fact that you learned something from your hurdles can easily be seen as a sign that you're on the way to figuring out how to overcome them.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 6:00 pm

That's a great idea. Just because a person is on the spectrum, doesn't mean that they can't be successful.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 6:12 pm

Invader wrote:
MrXxx: This may sound like a cliche (Well... "May"... Ok, it will) but you never fail until you stop trying to succeed. The fact that you learned something from your hurdles can easily be seen as a sign that you're on the way to figuring out how to overcome them.

:lol: :lol:

Okay, okay. Watch out with that positive talk stuff. I've read all the best books too. :lol: Don't forget this one:

"Every failure is one step closer to success." Or, another good one: "Fail your way to success." And then there's my favorite, "If you aren't failing, you aren't doing anything."

What the books don't address though, is a simple fact of life. Your time on this earth is limited. At some point, you are out of time to continue failing your way to success. There really ARE a lot of people in this world who never give up, yet never succeed. You just never hear from them, because they don't write books, produce movies, and aren't running huge successful businesses. Yes, I agree that WITHOUT positive thinking, you can't succeed. BUT, positive thinking is not a guarantee either. Also, being realistic isn't the same thing as being negative.

Balance is the true key. Financial success, as nice as it might be to achieve, doesn't solve all your problems. There are a lot of very successful people who are neither wealthy, nor rich (there IS a difference!).

Anyway, what it boils down to for me is that I now realize it has been my Autism that has been holding me back. That's what has to be addressed before anything else for now. If I don't address that, I may as well throw in the towel and forget succeeding at anything. I've been through enough saying, "This WILL work," and having it NOT work, to know that simply telling myself something will work doesn't guarantee anything at all.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2010, 6:22 pm

My suggestion for entrepreneurs - find a non-autistic partner to take care of the commercial side (I suspect that an Aspie and an C- or PH-ADHD couild make a good partnership).

Invader
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2010, 6:45 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Invader wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Okay, okay. Watch out with that positive talk stuff. I've read all the best books too. :lol: Don't forget this one:

"Every failure is one step closer to success." Or, another good one: "Fail your way to success." And then there's my favorite, "If you aren't failing, you aren't doing anything."

What the books don't address though, is a simple fact of life. Your time on this earth is limited. At some point, you are out of time to continue failing your way to success. There really ARE a lot of people in this world who never give up, yet never succeed. You just never hear from them, because they don't write books, produce movies, and aren't running huge successful businesses. Yes, I agree that WITHOUT positive thinking, you can't succeed. BUT, positive thinking is not a guarantee either. Also, being realistic isn't the same thing as being negative.

Balance is the true key. Financial success, as nice as it might be to achieve, doesn't solve all your problems. There are a lot of very successful people who are neither wealthy, nor rich (there IS a difference!).

Anyway, what it boils down to for me is that I now realize it has been my Autism that has been holding me back. That's what has to be addressed before anything else for now. If I don't address that, I may as well throw in the towel and forget succeeding at anything. I've been through enough saying, "This WILL work," and having it NOT work, to know that simply telling myself something will work doesn't guarantee anything at all.

I know, I know. :lol:

I've rolled my eyes in disgust and laughed at almost every "positive thinking" doctrine I've ever read or heard. The people who expound them are usually people who have never faced any kind of hardship in their lives and can't understand why anyone would even consider the existence of anything negative at all.

It's corny and they are after all just words, a positive attitude will never magically change a negative situation. Of course negativity exists and terrible things happen. Of course we're all going to die and rot in the ground, there's no escaping that. And of course, many people try to succeed in life, extremely hard, and still fail. Just as out of millions of little sperms, only one gets into the egg and becomes a baby, while the efforts of all the others end miserably in vain. It's a fact of life and just being stupidly optimistic won't make anyone's victory a certainty.

But, the thing is, generally speaking, the only ones who do succeed are the ones who don't give up. You are always faced with the choice to keep trying with absolutely no guarantee of success, or to give up and be absolutely guaranteed no success. Once you accept that the only alternative is oblivion, there's no reason whatsoever not to become downright ret*d in your optimistic efforts to pursue even the smallest and most ludicrous opportunity to attempt to succeed.

When the only alternative is failure anyway, sometimes intentionally making yourself too stupid to see why something might fail is often better than being "smart" enough to believe there's no point in trying.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 4:31 am

Read How To Get Rich by Felix Dennis, it's a good book on business! Seriously, it's not one of those scam ones written by someone who's never actually made anything, if you look the guy up, you'll see he's worth £500,000,000, so he knows what he's talking about.

I'm going to make myself rich, I'll come back and say hi when I'm a billionaire, yeah? :P

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2010, 8:35 am

MrXxx wrote:
... what it boils down to for me is that I now realize it has been my Autism that has been holding me back. That's what has to be addressed before anything else for now. If I don't address that, I may as well throw in the towel and forget succeeding at anything. I've been through enough saying, "This WILL work," and having it NOT work, to know that simply telling myself something will work doesn't guarantee anything at all.

TPE2 wrote:
My suggestion for entrepreneurs - find a non-autistic partner to take care of the commercial side ...

Yes, at least. I have tried and tried on my own and ended up with no success soooo many times, and one or more aspects of my AS was/were always the deciding factor/s. So, the very best "success" I have ever had finally came while working for a family who needed and wanted in their business the kinds of things I could do and who actually cared about my personal well-being.

ninja4life
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Aug 2010, 3:24 am

Yes but there are aspies who really have success in entrepreneurship. Who wants to participate in the group please contact me.....dont just say its a good idea....contact me through pm, yahoo, msn, facebook, etc....i have everything posted.

All the best

Duarte