Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 9:26 am

Ohaider, Ive just realised something and that is that there is alot of Inverted Snobbery going around today, especialy in britain

I say this because recently there was a fight in my area, the guy had been attacked because he (Guess What) Went to a private school. Now this guy wasnt a snob he just went to a private school and lived in his village and done things with other people like everyone else but then one day he goes to the next village over, someone asks him what school he goes to, and all hell breaks loose.

I think its suprisingly pathetic, especialy since most inverted snobs accuse everyone else of snobbery so much. I Mean i dont think im much of an inverted snob.

so what is your opinions on inverted snobbery?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 10:57 am

Not much, except that I might come accross by the people here, at WP, as being a bit of a snob, because I've gone back to liking the finer things in life, like I did, between 2004, and 2006.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 12:32 pm

Doesn't sound like much has changed to me. Hating people perceived to be rich is a time honored tradition.

It's the reason I rarely talk about some of the things we can afford.

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 3:18 pm

I appareantly come of as 'snobbish' because im polite

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 3:20 pm

*shrug* I come off like a snob because I don't react 'properly' and I correct people.

luvmyaspie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 6:56 pm

I reject violence of any type. If I could magic away just one horrible aspect of our world it would be all types of violence.

As for inverted snobbery? I practice this when I feel the need...for a bit of fun with people who ooze self importance.

Example:

I volunteer at the school canteen. So does the snob (doctor's wife) whom I have been introduced to last week when we were rostered on together.
She appears unfriendly and treats me as though I'm invisible. So, I don't greet her and treat her like I would a stranger. Canteen Convenor asks me if I've met her in this particular manner:
"Have you met Dr. Smith's wife?"
I say: "Sorry, Doctorrr?..uum..(fishing memory bank for Dr. Smith)Nooo...No...I don't believe I have."
...and introductions follow...all over again... :lol: and this is likely to all take place again next time we're in the canteen together. Yes, a bit like Ground Hog Day...

That sort of thing happens all the time in my small country town which is full of, self appointed, high society. I never seem to remember who's who though...funny that. :lol: (That was sarcasm)

My best friends think It's the most hilarious act and I'm very good at it. I actually enjoy the whole act and I think it's relatively harmless.

Inverted snobbery? I don't know...I just call it treating people as they treat me.

As for the story you told Leekduck, it sounds frightening. Similar stuff happens here (In my town), though not to the point of violence.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 8:03 pm

That's not what the OP was talking about, though. You're talking about getting back at snobs. He's talking about people abusing people who they unfairly perceive as snobbish just because of the way they're dressed, or their accent, or their education, even if they haven't acted snobbishly at all.

luvmyaspie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 8:19 pm

KaiG wrote:
That's not what the OP was talking about, though. You're talking about getting back at snobs. He's talking about people abusing people who they unfairly perceive as snobbish just because of the way they're dressed, or their accent, or their education, even if they haven't acted snobbishly at all.

:oops: Trust me to get it wrong...story of my life... :lol:

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 9:22 pm

I told you that my reading comprehenshion isn't up to par.:lol: