Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

abitclueless
Raven
Raven

24 Jul 2010, 4:54 pm

Someone I know, with AS, recommended The Big Bang Theory. So I watched it one time and was surprised at how close it is to my own thought patterns! I think one of the characters in it is supposed to have AS. Unfortunately I don't get a chance to watch it much though. It's on Channel 4 in the UK but I'm not sure as to what night it's on, I think it's on on Thursday night.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 5:32 pm

The writers of the show have never written an episode specifically stating that any of the characters has AS, but they've clearly modeled Sheldon after the DSM descriptions of children with Asperger's Disorder, right down to his obsession with trains.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 5:39 pm

That character is called Sheldon Cooper. He definitely has Asperger's Syndrome. The show completed its third season and will make a fourth. You should like it, it's funny.

Mutt
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jul 2010, 6:26 pm

I believe the character is Sheldon Cooper. It's funny- too bad my brother says I laugh at things that aren't funny for him, and I don't laugh at things that are funny to him.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2010, 6:53 pm

Willard wrote:
The writers of the show have never written an episode specifically stating that any of the characters has AS, but they've clearly modeled Sheldon after the DSM descriptions of children with Asperger's Disorder, right down to his obsession with trains.

I think he's based on one of the creator's friends, who has Asperger's.

Didacticity
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Jul 2010, 7:50 pm

The show's writers also have him specifically refer to his acute hearing and his inability to read facial expressions.

The writers of Bones do the same things with the Temperance Brennan character, including the same stuff about hearing and facial expressions. They even gave her the same sobriquet as Dr Spock, a rather classic aspie.