Page 4 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 11:01 am

You have to do what you feel comfortable doing.

But you've been through a lot, and have learned from what you've been through.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 11:24 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You have to do what you feel comfortable doing.

But you've been through a lot, and have learned from what you've been through.

Well more exposure to driving on motorways might work.

I temporarily cured my fear of flying by doing a week long course flying glider planes.

So on that basis, maybe I should just spend a whole day joining motorways by myself with no distractions.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 11:26 am

Just be careful. Don't rely on your mirrors. Look back before you change lanes.

I actually don't like flying in small planes. I refuse to go in a plane just for a tour of something.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 11:31 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Just be careful. Don't rely on your mirrors. Look back before you change lanes.

I actually don't like flying in small planes. I refuse to go in a plane just for a tour of something.

That's the bit I hate, looking back whilst still ensuring that the person in front isn't slowing down. I just don't trust my depth perception or my notion of speed. I feel very discombobulated when trying to join.

Oh.... don't get me started on planes. I hate all of them and have a flight coming up in the next few days... But the only thing that makes it marginally better is being in the cockpit.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 11:34 am

Being in the cockpit would be fun!

I've never been in a cockpit, though.

Getting on the motorway takes getting used to. But, doing it a few times will help you get acclimated.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 11:39 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Being in the cockpit would be fun!

I've never been in a cockpit, though.

Getting on the motorway takes getting used to. But, doing it a few times will help you get acclimated.

Well, when my parents divorced I went back and forth between the two countries by myself from a really young age. Covered in stickers, like a parcel! The captain would always let me sit in the cockpit for a bit. Sure that doesn't happen on most flights now.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 11:43 am

I'm surprised this didn't make you want to be a pilot.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 11:55 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm surprised this didn't make you want to be a pilot.

:lol: It did for a long time!

Instead now I am petrified of commercial aircrafts to the point where I do highly irrational things when I *have to* fly.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 11:57 am

I'm just the opposite. I have no fear of big airplanes, only of small airplanes.

How come you fear commercial airplanes? I find them to be more stable than smaller airplanes.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 12:04 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm just the opposite. I have no fear of big airplanes, only of small airplanes.

How come you fear commercial airplanes? I find them to be more stable than smaller airplanes.

Small planes you feel more in contact with the elements.

Commercial planes you are in this sealed off bubble. And other travellers kind of make me feel edgy. All smiles and bliss and in my inner eye I kind of imagine them all screaming in terror. :oops: sorry shouldn't talk about this. It is all very irrational.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 12:06 pm

It's good to talk about things. Sometimes, things that are bottled up cause unexpected problems. I hope you don't feel bad when talking about this.

This is where Freud was right, I believe.

But I get what you mean. It's a pain in the tushey to fly in planes. Especially when you sit in the window seat, and have to go to the bathroom.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 12:53 pm

I envy that you got to see the cockpit.....

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 12:57 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's good to talk about things. Sometimes, things that are bottled up cause unexpected problems. I hope you don't feel bad when talking about this.

This is where Freud was right, I believe.

But I get what you mean. It's a pain in the tushey to fly in planes. Especially when you sit in the window seat, and have to go to the bathroom.

Well I am in denial at the moment as in order to let my husband have two weeks longer in America I volunteered to fly to America by myself with the kids. Not super confident about it. My aspie gets quite anxious about embarking and disembarking and ensuring her possessions are safe and my 4 year old is just very, very chatty.... and then me with my irrational fears about airplanes that I have to bottle up big time. I am dreading it a little.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 12:59 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I envy that you got to see the cockpit.....

I got to turn buttons too! It was pretty awesome. You must get some really beautiful moments up there.

I liked glider planes. They were pretty nice to fly. I always flew with the instructor in the cockpit behind and me in front. It was at an airfield in Cambridge and most of the instructors were retired professors.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 1:04 pm

I would be petrified flying in a glider plane. I’d probably get sick, too.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 12:57 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would be petrified flying in a glider plane. I’d probably get sick, too.

Well getting up into the air is horrid. You basically get catapulted into the air (or at least that is what it feels like). But then being up there with no engine and just silence makes it worth it.

We had an electrical outage over the whole valley on Monday morning and I was amazed at how incredibly silent everything became. I think all that background humming and buzzzing that is meant to fade into nothing is actually quite loud for me. That is probably one more thing I dislike about large planes, they are so noisy.

Anyway, got to be brave, off to Italy in 4 days! Hopefully, if it is a clear day it will be a nice view of the alps!