Do you or did you used to keep your feet at a wide angle?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

DonDud
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jul 2010, 11:26 am

I used to stand and walk with my feet at a fairly wide angle. I don't think I'd have changed it naturally if my mom hadn't nagged me to start walking normally. Even today, I have a tendency to spread my legs and feet a bit wide when standing still. My mom will complain, "Keep your feet with your body!" My walk is still not quite "normal," but I've "improved" it somewhat.

I also used to walk with my head down most of the time. I still do a lot, but it's something I've tried to work on. I'm not depressed, and I don't want to be perceived that way. Sometimes I over-compensate and raise my chin a bit too high, though. The biggest problem is that I'm afraid to make eye contact with random people, and don't want people to think I might be staring.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 11:32 am

Abnormal or awkward gait is common with ASDs, and walking with your feet at a wide angle would be considered such.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 11:48 am

I walked with my feet facing too far outwards for a number of years when I was younger. When my dad pointed out that I was doing it, I stopped.

Flaggy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2010, 12:10 pm

I am a slow walker and my toes turn slightly inward as I walk.. I can walk faster with the aid of hiking poles or shopping trolley etc, anything to lean on

takemitsu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 12:16 pm

I got comments on how I walked a lot when I was younger, but I never noticed a difference. The comments were along the line of, "Are you hurt or something?"

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 1:08 pm

As I child I pointed them inward. Now I keep them normal or spread. I don't care who tries to change that at this point. I am a skilled runner so I know what works for me.

AshtonWA
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Jul 2010, 1:12 pm

DonDud wrote:
I used to stand and walk with my feet at a fairly wide angle. I don't think I'd have changed it naturally if my mom hadn't nagged me to start walking normally. Even today, I have a tendency to spread my legs and feet a bit wide when standing still. My mom will complain, "Keep your feet with your body!" My walk is still not quite "normal," but I've "improved" it somewhat.

{snipped}

My 5 year old (Autistic) toe walks with his toes turned in and usually trips over his shoes. When he's not out in public (we live in an apartment complex), he won't wear shoes outside, and his feet are calloused from it. I try to remind him if I see him to walk heel toe, heal toe.

I'm Aspergers and I walk similar but am more aware that I'm toe walking, so I try to remember to walk heel toe as well.

AshtonWA

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 1:14 pm

Yeah, when I walk my right foot kind of... somewhat... swings out, while pointed outwards to the right. It's kind of hard to explain.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 2:09 pm

my feet point outward/at a weird angle.

I don't even know how this is corrected, can you go to a doctor to fix it? I hate the way I walk.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 2:11 pm

buryuntime wrote:
my feet point outward/at a weird angle.

I don't even know how this is corrected, can you go to a doctor to fix it? I hate the way I walk.

If it's just a symptom of AS (awkward gait) and not a physical problem, you can't get it fixed by a doctor. All you can do is try to work on walking a different way. (If you want to change the way you walk, that is.)

Leekduck
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 3:26 pm

I walk flat-footedly and when i stand i stand with my legs together but my feet far apart,

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 5:36 pm

I'm bowlegged and my feet turn outward, when I'm walking, or resting.

Rocky
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 8:04 pm

DonDud wrote:

I also used to walk with my head down most of the time. I still do a lot, but it's something I've tried to work on. I'm not depressed, and I don't want to be perceived that way. Sometimes I over-compensate and raise my chin a bit too high, though. The biggest problem is that I'm afraid to make eye contact with random people, and don't want people to think I might be staring.

I apparently walk with my toes spread. All my pants quickly become ragged at the cuffs from my heel scuffing them as I walk. I have to consciously walk differently to avoid that.

Regarding looking down while walking: I do that too. I have found $100 bills lying in the street not once but twice, believe it or not!

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 8:13 pm

I used to, and still do; but it's not all that noticeable. It helped a lot when I took fencing classes and aikido, though. I didn't even have to try to be able to adopt a proper stance for either of those. I do, however, rarely distribute my weight evenly when I'm standing still in normal situations; I always put quite a bit more of it on one leg or the other.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 9:52 pm

Interesting topic. Because of how my legs grew as a baby I walk with my feet outward (kind of odd) Also while sitting down I have my legs spread which is cramping for my little sisters the 10 year old is always saying put your legs together but I like spreading my legs it's more comfortable for me. :-)

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2010, 11:59 pm

Not really but I used to be pigeon-toed. I had *special* shoes to resolve the problem. I don't think anything was actually wrong with my feet, the shoes just trained me to walk like a normal person, i guess.

I also kept my head down most of the time until I was about 8, unless watching TV or playing video games. My mom thought nothing of it, i guess, but my aunt was always telling m to look up at people, I remember watching cartoons and quickly putting my head back down when anyone walked into the room.

Also...my mouth hung open most of the time until about that age, too. Looking back, I'm fairly certain I would have been DXed with AS if this had been during more recent years. it was about 1993 and I did NOT appear to be a normal child.

I also used to stand with my knees bent all the backward, I still does this when I'm doing dishes sometimes, or waiting in line, I've caught myself doing it before.