What will be the last religion to fall to science?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Meow101
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 11:14 am

Unitarian Universalism. We not only accept but welcome scientific advances as contributing to, not conflicting with, our knowledge of the world.

http://www.uua.org/visitors/6798.shtml

~Kate

Si tot mai multe cere.
--Mihai Eminescu

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 11:51 am

Euthanasia

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 8:32 pm

KaiG wrote:
Fuzzy wrote:
Khan_Sama wrote:
The Baha'i faith. We are deeply rooted in the marriage of science and religion.

http://info.bahai.org/article-1-5-3-1.html

Hey I forgot about you guys. Keep up the good work.

Yeah, you look pretty good. It's a kind of deistic humanism, right?

Thanks Fuzzy. :)

@KaiG- By Deism, do you mean the non-intervention of God in human affairs? We don't besmirch the faith with instances of miracles (although we don't deny them). As far as we are concerned, they are irrelevant to the cause. We do, however, strongly believe that God intervenes in human affairs, particularly by revealing a new dispensation every millennium or so.

We are a highly organised religion. I doubt we fall under the Deistic category at all.

We believe that no human can describe the nature of God - it is like how a painting can never describe the nature of its painter, or how a table can never describe the nature of its carpenter.

As far as humanism is concerned - yes, we believe in establishing a new world order, where human beings can live in harmony and unity. A world without war, a world with no prejudice of race or gender, a world with no hate, a world with no extremes of wealth and poverty. We are conservative when it comes to morals, progressive when it comes to society.

Hope that answers your question.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

26 Jul 2010, 8:45 pm

Sand wrote:
Religion is based on gullibility and religions will fall when there will be no gullible people left. Probably human life on Earth will end long before that occurs.
well said sir, well said

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 8:46 pm

none. New religions and beliefs will appear. I also doubt we will get rid of the nisms anytime soon, we may as well have a whole millennial left of Christianity, Islam and Hebraism :(

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 9:10 pm

Only fundamentalism must fall, to my mind--if that happens, then religion can survive. If it doesn't, then the hostility will continue and make no distinction between those who are and are not fundamentalists. I often feel like I am in a "fight" on two fronts--both against fundamentalist Christians and fundamentalist atheists, because of those who try to use science and faith both in ways they were never meant to be used. As I often say, the Bible was never meant to be a scientific treatise and the laws of science do not tell us anything about the purpose of it all, nor the worth behind the options it allows us to see. Used in their proper manners, though, one should be no threat to the other.

MrDiamondMind
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

Location: Encapsulated within a skull; covered in sheets of skin

26 Jul 2010, 9:37 pm

Cuterebra wrote:
I hope science is the last religion to fall to science.

Do I sound bitter? Sorry, that's just my disillusionment speaking...

This actually does need to happen if by your former mentioning of "science" you were referring to Scientism.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2010, 5:17 am

Cuterebra wrote:
I hope science is the last religion to fall to science.

Do I sound bitter? Sorry, that's just my disillusionment speaking...

Science is not religion since it can be empirically falsified. Religion is based on wishful thinking and hoping for the impossible. Science is based on fact.

And sooner or later our favorite scientific theories will fall to contrary facts. Such theories will be replaced by better theories.

ruveyn

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2010, 11:01 pm

Name ANY religion that has fallen to science.

The religions that have disappeared (e.g. ancient Roman and Norse polytheism) fell to other religions (Christianity in those two cases).

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2010, 11:07 pm

one-A-N wrote:

The religions that have disappeared (e.g. ancient Roman and Norse polytheism) fell to other religions (Christianity in those two cases).

And that was through violently forcing the religion on the people (as god would have wanted).

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Narwhal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jul 2010, 2:07 am

Pandeism, if it will ever fall, or Suitheism perhaps.

codarac
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 1:51 pm

Liberalism is a secular religion. Its followers frequently demonstrate their faith by professing to believe the opposite of what real-world evidence tells them.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 1:53 pm

It's a tie between Buddhism and Hinduism.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 2:04 pm

one-A-N wrote:

Those predated science.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 2:07 pm

codarac wrote:
Liberalism is a secular religion. Its followers frequently demonstrate their faith by professing to believe the opposite of what real-world evidence tells them.

:lol:

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson