I just can't...feel jealous about it..

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 11:04 am

TheDoctor82 wrote:
I was at work last week, and got a text message from my friend. He told me he was in NYC, and that he'd gone to a play starring Tony Shalhoub, and got his autograph. He and I are both Monk fans, so I thought that was incredibly cool. At first mildly jealous, but for some reason..I figured I'd be a lot moreso.

I asked him a lot more questions about exactly how it went down, and when he told me....I realized I couldn't feel jealous at all.

From my standpoint, to feel jealous of someone's situation, you have to believe that you yourself could be in that very situation, if the "stars were aligned differently".

Well, first of all, he went with his family and girlfriend into NYC; my family can barely stand me, so that would've never happened.

They went to a Broadway show he was starring in; virtually every Broadway show uses pyrotechnics, so I wouldn't be able to go to that anyway, with my auditory sensitivity.

His cousin stuck his Monk Season 1 DVD set in her purse, and he didn't get caught by security. I'm Autistic; they'd notice me at the drop of a hat.

Because of all that...I couldn't get jealous. I want to, but I couldn't.

What do y'all think?

I think you're mixing jealousy up with envy. Jealous is when you envy someone so much you hurt them or want to do things that would hurt them. Envy is when you wish you had it but you don't. You aren't bitter about it or want to hurt them nor have the desires too or fantasies.

TheDoctor82
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 1:48 pm

EnglishInvader wrote:
TheDoctor82 wrote:
3. with Monk Season 1 DVD in his cousin's purse, which he miraculously got past security without them checking her bag

So, he basically stole a DVD set and let his cousin take the risk for it. I don't see anything clever or enviable in that.

no, it was his set; he just brought it along with him to have it autographed; stowing it past security at the Broadway theater was the risk.