Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 2:39 am

What are the laws like? I know it varies by state and I'm probably being dense but I can't find any laws about autism diagnosis and having a driver's license in Michigan.

If you already have a license then you are obviously viewed as having sound enough cognitive ability to operate a vehicle by the powers that be, but can they decide thta you are no longer qualified to drive once you are diagnosed with AS?

Last edited by MotownDangerPants on 26 Jul 2010, 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

eon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jul 2010, 2:44 am

my guess is that they could do anything they want.

i find driving extremely difficult, but not impossible. the difficulty comes in the negotiating with idiotic people who have no idea what they are doing, nor are they being careful. the state feels ok with allowing them to drive, not sure why.

i live in a state where your right to go as fast as you very well feel is protected by law. it coexists without modification to any prior speed limit laws. only stipulation is you have to stay in left most lane, anyone slower is required to get out of your way, that's the law.

sorry about not contributing constructively to your thread's purpose. i can't find anything about a precedent, but bureaucrats don't typically need such a thing, they can just make it up as they go along.

ADHDer since 1990. Diagnosed Aspie 8/2010

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 2:46 am

eon wrote:
my guess is that they could do anything they want.

i find driving extremely difficult, but not impossible. the difficulty comes in the negotiating with idiotic people who have no idea what they are doing, nor are they being careful. the state feels ok with allowing them to drive, not sure why.

i live in a state where your right to go as fast as you very well feel is protected by law. it coexists without modification to any prior speed limit laws. only stipulation is you have to stay in left most lane, anyone slower is required to get out of your way, that's the law.

sorry about not contributing constructively to your thread's purpose. i can't find anything about a precedent, but bureaucrats don't typically need such a thing, they can just make it up as they go along.

I feel like they could too. I've never heard anyone here say that their license got taken away after being DXed, I feel like I would have heard about something like that but you never know.

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 6:29 am

I have NEVER heard of anyone on the autism spectrum NOT receiving a license, and HAVE heard of many people on the spectrum receiving licenses. I don't think it's become an issue yet to the states, so they haven't made any laws against it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 10:20 am

I've been diagnosed with AS long before I got my lisence. I still got one when I was almost 17. I'd be mad if they decided to make laws against us driving. It be another reason for people to not get diagnosed.