Does anyone actually like the prequel trilogy of star wars?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

does anyone actually like the star wars prequel trilogy
Hell no!! !! !! !! !! Star Wars original trilogy only!! !! ! 57%  57%  [ 17 ]
yes........ 43%  43%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 30

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 9:46 am

I despise the prequel trilogy. But there are actually people on other sites like youtube who like it. I was just wondering if there is anyone who actually likes it here on Wrong Planet

Cheeseroyale34
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2010, 10:43 am

The problem with the prequel trilogy for me is probably how the transformation of Anakin from angry hormonal teenager with a lightsaber to Darth Vader in the course of a single movie. I mean, sure what he did in the 2nd movie when

Spoiler

he killed the village full of people on Tatooine, but the only major thing that pushed him towards the dark side was a dream about seeing Padme dying in childbirth. I think if Anakin's "fall" were documented better, and a myriad of other problems were fixed, I would enjoy the prequels a lot more.

Celoneth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 11:57 am

Meh, I don't hate it, but can't say I like it.

Cheeseroyale34 wrote:
The problem with the prequel trilogy for me is probably how the transformation of Anakin from angry hormonal teenager with a lightsaber to Darth Vader in the course of a single movie. I mean, sure what he did in the 2nd movie when

Spoiler

he killed the village full of people on Tatooine, but the only major thing that pushed him towards the dark side was a dream about seeing Padme dying in childbirth. I think if Anakin's "fall" were documented better, and a myriad of other problems were fixed, I would enjoy the prequels a lot more.

This.. also all the nice action parts being broken up by extended periods of Anakin-Padme kissing time.. bleh.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 12:05 pm

I like it, I really don't get what the big fuss is all about. What I never understood was how Luke who was trained in the ways of a jedi and saber fighting by two elderly people who rarely to never used thier own could match Vader who was very seasoned.

I was always more interested in seeing more Jedi other then just Luke's, and the flips and other parts really good to watch over the other ones, and really never had much complaints about the politics stuff.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 12:10 pm

The plot and scripts are awful. Just watch RedLetterMedia's reviews of the prequel movies to see just how much was wrong with everything about them.

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 12:20 pm

IMO I think that George Lucas made the prequel trilogy aiming younger audiences so that way he could make more money. There is that stupid boy anakin racing with pod racers. And also the movie has better CGI and beautiful scenery and that is also appealing to kids how like colouful things (toys etc...). The story is way inferior to the classic trilogy which was based on J. Campbell´s works (Hero of a Thousand Faces etc...) that was based on the archetypal hero whose story reflected psychological states that other people experience. All in all the prequel sucked.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 12:46 pm

I don't despise them. They'd probably hold up a lot better on their own if they didn't have the original prequel to live up to. The effects in the films were pretty amazing for the time (though overdone, and not as amazing for the time as the original prequel was), but the story and screenplays just fell flat for the most part. Maybe its unfair in a sense that I grew up watching the original when I was just an impressionable kid who was maybe 5-10 when the first movies came out, and I was a twenty something jaded adult when the prequels arrived.

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 1:29 pm

@ScrewyWabbit: I just hate the prequel trilogy because it is marketed as star wars. i also hate little 5 year olds who love it. it is extremely annoying. my little brother doesn't like the prequels thank g-d. the trick with little kids is to show them the original trilogy first. also, i went to star wars in concert (best music in cinema), and almost every little kid was roaring when the prequels were mentioned. I don't think George lucas nor little star wars fans (ages 1-7) care about the classic original trilogy

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 1:39 pm

My biggest gripe with them was that they were too damn long - all three of them. If George had shaved a half hour off each one, they'd have been fine.

I was disappointed that Liam Neeson got killed off so soon. Qui-Gon was the coolest Jedi of all time. 8)

And I know its supposed to be synthesized through the helmet, but I found it implausible that Annakin's voice would have sounded like James Earl Jones the instant he first put it on. That just seemed weird, but maybe its just me. I thought he should have 'grown into' that voice at least a bit. There should have been at least a short intermediate stage between how he sounded at the last of RotS and the way he sounds at the beginning of New Hope.

Oh, and there was that horrible patch of dialogue at the end of Episode 3, where Lucas tries to tie up all his dangling loose ends with that crap about 'returning from the netherworld of the force' and 'training to attain immortality'. What a load. I mean, I expect a lot of stilted, wooden dialogue from George Lucas, but that was just embarrassing. Some things should be told through exposition, not crammed into the last 90 seconds of script, as an "Oh, BTW, I almost forgot to mention..." :roll:

That said, they could have been a lot worse. I'd still take JarJar Binks over the Ewoks any day. :roll: Ewoks blow.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 2:06 pm

Jar Jar Binks sez:
Mesa Jar Jar Binks.
Ex-queeze-me, but you no liking us meesa thinks.
How wude!

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2010, 2:23 pm

Jar Jar is the greatest character made. Not in Star Wars, but in all recorded fiction.

imbatshitcrazy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 2:35 pm

@Willard: all right, i respect your opinion, i just don't agree with it. btw, i love ewoks.

@mudboy: don't repeat dialouge from that abortion of a film. i'd really appreciate it

@mutate: jar jar binks is the WORST character ever made, not just in Star Wars, but in all of recorded fiction

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 2:46 pm

imbatshitcrazy wrote:
@Willard: all right, i respect your opinion, i just don't agree with it. btw, i love ewoks.

@mudboy: don't repeat dialouge from that abortion of a film. i'd really appreciate it

@mutate: jar jar binks is the WORST character ever made, not just in Star Wars, but in all of recorded fiction

Listen, I know you are knew here but you need to respect that some people like things that are different than you do. You cannot tell somebody that they cannot like something, or that they can't quote a film they like no matter what you're opinion on it is.

Now I usually try to be a pretty nice person but you're Arrogance and Ego are really beginning to frustrate me. Having Aspergers does not give you a right to be like this. In fact you remind me of the countless people who are misdiagnosed with Aspergers just because they don't have a filter and say whatever they want no matter how rude it is too people.

Last edited by Xenu on 26 Jul 2010, 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 2:47 pm

imbatshitcrazy wrote:
How wude!

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2010, 2:49 pm

I always have mixed feelings about them, Sometimes I think they were great, then other times i think they were awful. Depends on how forgiving i feel and what in the mood for.

I remember when I saw the first teaser poster for Phantom, I imagined the film would be all about Anakin training as a Jedi and learning to be a great pilot. The film was told from the POV of 2 boring Jedi characters, Anakin didnt come untill half way through, you never saw him train or become a real pilot, justr fly around in an ugly bright yellow ship. No offence meant to fans of Obi Wan and Qui Gon, I just found them boring at the time as I was psyched up for a film about Anakin and his Jedi school.

Mutate
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jul 2010, 2:52 pm

Xenu wrote:
You cannot tell somebody that they cannot like something, or that they can't quote a film they like no matter what you're opinion on it is.

Of course he can who's gonna stop him. It's not a banning offence.