I don't want the school year expanded. 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 2

StewartMango
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jul 2010, 3:19 pm

http://stewartmango.tumblr.com/post/861 ... ars?ref=nf

There's 3 ways to do it my favorite was this one:

"3. Shorten school days by about an hour and make 216 school days. The school year would start in August and end in June. You’re only adding 36 days. Also by shortening it you have students go in later, which gives them an extra hour of sleep. More sleep = better grades."

I remember back in Elementary School having 6 hour school days and being bored to death, but if school was an hour shorter I may have enjoyed it more. Also if you increase the school days the material won't have to be jammed into the day as much. I mean we should try it out for ONE school year, if nobody enjoys it we don't do it again.

Also in the real world you don't get off the whole summer and two of my ideas let you have the whole month of July off. I may add more ideas. It be easier for parents too, since you don't have to worry about sending them to summer camp.

www.stewartmango.com

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 3:25 pm

My son desperately wants something that you don't have as an option, and as far as his school needs go this is the far more important issue: add more hours to the school day or school year instead of ever assigning homework.

willaful
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2010, 3:54 pm

I would take ANY option that included not getting up as early. It was desperately cruel to me as a child with undiagnosed sleep disorders and I think played a very large part in the truancy issues that I had.

I think long unstructured summers are not a great idea for many Aspie kids, as well.

My brother used to go to a private school that had a 6 week on, 2 week off schedule and that seemed very sensible, though I don't know if it would be Aspie-friendly or not.