Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

jellynail
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2006, 7:05 pm

Great, you have no problem with the word revenge.

Now try this phrase out... "Necessary Evil."

C'mon, type it. I wanna see Americans start using this phrase again, completely devoid of any sense of historic perspective or cultural irony.

Type it. You know you wanna. "Necessary Evil."

Do it. :twisted: Do it now.

http://jellynail.vox.com/

parts
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2006, 6:43 am

Quote:
Second, are people here actually proposing we turn prisons into slave labor camps? Boy, you thought unemployment was bad when they were just outsourcing jobs to China....

Not slave labor they'd be paid in a points which could be redememed for privlages. The goal in the work would be to just have the prison pay for intself or at least contribute to the cost. People who were in for lesser crimes would have more of their work towards training for when they get out. Violent crimes that would call for the death penalty could have the more menal tasks

Scaramouche
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 May 2006, 6:45 am

jellynail wrote:
Great, you have no problem with the word revenge.

Now try this phrase out... "Necessary Evil."

C'mon, type it. I wanna see Americans start using this phrase again, completely devoid of any sense of historic perspective or cultural irony.

Type it. You know you wanna. "Necessary Evil."

Do it. :twisted: Do it now.

Is it evil? At all?

jellynail
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2006, 7:03 am

How does the recipient of "revenge" benefit? At all?

jellynail
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 May 2006, 7:14 am

Yes, vengeance strictly for vengeance's sake, where there is no possibility of damage being undone, and there is no chance of the supposed evildoer seeing "the error of his ways" as a result of the revenge-act, is a pretty evil thing, I'd say.

Scaramouche
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 May 2006, 9:53 am

jellynail wrote:
Yes, vengeance strictly for vengeance's sake, where there is no possibility of damage being undone, and there is no chance of the supposed evildoer seeing "the error of his ways" as a result of the revenge-act, is a pretty evil thing, I'd say.

I don't get it. ow is it evil to harm one who has harmed you? If anything, it's good, because if you do it right it will prevent them injuring you again.

Mithrandir
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2006, 11:46 am

I have created a thread already called Justice, It is really far down the list and I think that we probably need a new one.

Death is not a deterent for a crime. In the middle ages, saying that people will go to hell for something is enough. Not anymore.

There are tons of programs that work. I am sure that there are some stats for these results.

What is interesting is that after 1995 violent crimes went down. This is not because of Capital Punishment being reinstated. Some Hypothesis state it is because the Sony Playstation was invented.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2006, 6:24 pm

I have given this much thought. Capital punishment only acts as a deterrent for those inclined to be deterred. It will only encourage those who deserve it to try and avoid the death penalty. The main points of execution is to both remove the offender from life, and as a form of retribution.

I feel that those who really deserve the death penalty include serial rapists, serial murderers, and pedophiles. Two new ideas come to mind:

1. Call me Dr Mengele, but I think these sort of people can be used for medical experiments. They are useless as they are, being killers or rapists, being scum. In medical experiments, they can be of use.

2. Barotrauma. Put them in a hypobaric chamber. Jack it up to 10 atmospheres. Then release it. For the bloodthirsty.

On sabbatical...

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2006, 6:47 pm

I guess I tend to be more for the death penalty. IMO its not so much getting revenge for a death, it's pretty much getting rid of people who really shouldn't still be breathing (ie. you let them out they'll kill more people and it's a known fact). Yeah, human life has it's value but that worth really isn't unconditional - you have to hold up your end and *be* a human being. If your killing other people in cold blood and getting off on harming people in general you've pretty much forfeited your humanity and completely broken your end of the deal. At that rate every breath afterward is really on time stolen through the advantage of most people's better nature - especially when it was similarly good people who a particular person shanked, shot, tortured, etc..

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2006, 9:56 pm

Well, I will admit that I am for capital punishment to some extent but I just think that it has been found to be economically inefficient. Capital punishment is more costly than life imprisonment and there is all sorts of controversy about killing the wrong person. I personally don't care about killing any murderer or anything like that but I don't want to be caught in some massive ethics debate.

Yeah, I definitely agree with the idea that parts has about this, it could be used as a tool for reform. In a society people have to work so therefore they should have to work in prison for their own benefit and for the benefit of society. To compensate for this work we need to reward them for working with us. People are quick to adapt to anything that promises them benefit and once they adapt to this prison system that simulates life within our society they might very well be capable of working within the real deal.

Brainsforbreakfast
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 May 2006, 8:19 am

I'm against the death penalty. It's not so much that killing rapists, murderers etc. as above posters oulined that I have a problem with, but the fact that guilt cannot be 100% proven. Innocent have and will be killed by the state.
Also, I think it's more just if such people would be locked up for life and have to rethink their actions for the rest of their life.

Iammeandnooneelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2006, 10:00 am

Quote:
Check the link I provided. The method has proven 100% accurate thus far. And personally I would only agree if there was a confession also.

Actually, no, it hasn't.
Identical twins share the same DNA. They did the DNA test and ended up imprisoioning the wrong twin. Now, if that had been the death penalty.......do I need to finish my setence?

Mordy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jun 2006, 10:11 am

I'm for capital punishment on the basis that the evidence is irrefutable for certain people whose crimes are very heinous, i.e. people that kill other people, people that prey on children, etc.

Lets face facts, many people are serial criminals, they are programmed by evolution to be that way, it's better to pu them to sleep then leave them in society.

Some criminals are redeemable, but they made poor choices. Despite all the pain in my life I have never allow myself despite the painful experiences to lash out at people.

Fact is, people are responsible for their behaviours, unless they have some objective severe handicap that would allow leeway about the level of responsibility at some level.

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2006, 12:28 pm

Mordy wrote:
Lets face facts, many people are serial criminals, they are programmed by evolution to be that way, it's better to pu them to sleep then leave them in society.

this is not necessarilly true, evolution does not program any individual to be a certain way. the people you speak of are products of their environment.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2006, 5:30 pm

peebo wrote:
Mordy wrote:

this is not necessarilly true, evolution does not program any individual to be a certain way. the people you speak of are products of their environment.

Wow at least on this point we can agree :D