Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Surya
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2010, 9:25 pm

ForFlorence wrote:
Seanmw wrote:
ForFlorence wrote:
Yes, as Surya mention sometimes it is preparatory dialog. Other times I'll repeat things that I've "talked" about previously but they have nothing to do with anything and are just the only things that come to mind. Or I'll get lost in self talk when other people are talking.
that i have that problem too, sometimes i'll repeat things under my breath that i'm thinking without realizing it :oops: .

Yes, this is nearly always embarrassing. I never know when it will happen or about what :bom:

When my mind is lost in the self-talk it can lose awareness of it's surroundings and it can feel like I'm not anywhere at all but in my head. This is disorienting to not realize I've started with the self-talk and come out of it suddenly and realize that I was off daydreaming for who knows how long. 8O It must be completely confusing to the other individual(s).

Totally, thankfully I speak, very quietly and I am told hardly move my lips, so if someone does hear me - I just sorry - lost my train of thought

That works, as long as I am not doing my fingers.. which I did not know I did until a couple months ago..

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
devark wrote:
I talk to myself a lot, its mostly internal though.

You mean thinking?

Not sure for devark, but for me, it is two different things for me.

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Aug 2010, 1:11 am

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
devark wrote:
I talk to myself a lot, its mostly internal though.

You mean thinking?

No, I mean I literally talk to myself in my head in the same manner I would if I was doing it out loud.

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Aug 2010, 1:18 am

Surya wrote:
Not sure for devark, but for me, it is two different things for me.

Yeah for me, talking to myself, internal or otherwise, is completely different from thinking. Thinking is much more dynamic and intuitive, the talking is almost "clunky" or too simple to be as productive and useful as thinking.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 12:50 pm

Don't feel bad, it's a normal problem for people who lack a social life. I talk to myself many times when I'm completely alone. I do it to think, reflect and try to practice what I would say to people. The only difference is I only talk to myself when I'm completely alone and not in public, that way I don't appear as odd.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2010, 5:10 pm

Homer_Bob wrote:
Don't feel bad, it's a normal problem for people who lack a social life. I talk to myself many times when I'm completely alone. I do it to think, reflect and try to practice what I would say to people. The only difference is I only talk to myself when I'm completely alone and not in public, that way I don't appear as odd.

But even when my social life was very active, I still talked to myself periodically. It's not having a conversation with myself, it's more acting stuff out.

Capper7
Raven
Raven

02 Aug 2010, 4:24 pm

I tend to do this as well and call it "thinking out loud". I try to do it when other people aren't around because it makes an idea more concrete and I can run through a sequence. Sometimes I slip and there happens to be other people around. In these cases, I'm honest with them and change the topic to my concern or something relevant to both of us. It doesn't always work, but we eventually jump to another subject.