Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 3:35 pm

I hate myself for having this problem, but it's like I get bored with my surroundings and have to stimulate myself with self-dialogue. It's so hard to hold my mouth closed. I wish I could find the loose wires in my brain and either sever them or tighten them or do whatever needs be done. I hate it, it's a burden. Even I think it's weird anymore...

hutchscott
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jul 2010, 3:45 pm

I relate. I used to work for a grocery store and would talk to myself all the time. Talk to the milk, then talk to the yoghurt. The customers would ask me who I was talking to.

I don't know what happened, but now I don't talk to myself. I still pick my nose, though.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 3:46 pm

CaptainTrips222 wrote:
I hate myself for having this problem, but it's like I get bored with my surroundings and have to stimulate myself with self-dialogue. It's so hard to hold my mouth closed. I wish I could find the loose wires in my brain and either sever them or tighten them or do whatever needs be done. I hate it, it's a burden. Even I think it's weird anymore...

It's not THAT weird. I talk to myself more than I talk to other people. That's what I do in order to think clearly. I enjoy it.

Last edited by dyingofpoetry on 28 Jul 2010, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brownleefamily
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2010, 4:23 pm

I do all the time. Does anyone here do it and then find themselves repeating it later in conversation, almost like in anticipation of it?

Surya
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jul 2010, 5:36 pm

I try to remember to use my 'inside voice' when having my self talks.
However, occasionally, I end up using my 'outside' voice and ocassionally someone will notice.
Like the other day..

brownleefamily wrote:
I do all the time. Does anyone here do it and then find themselves repeating it later in conversation, almost like in anticipation of it?

Generally when I am doing it, it is because I am preparing for later conversations - like an appointment I know I am going to, or if I need to speak to someone about something.

My thought on it is, well, bloody hell, if politicians and others can practice what they are going to say and usually that is used to BS others. Why can't I do it for general stuff?

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 5:47 pm

As long as you don't interrupt yourself or start and argument, you really should be fine. :)

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2010, 6:08 pm

I can internalize it if I'm grocery shopping or something, but I do it pretty much all the time. Its the same reason I have trouble going to sleep.

And oh yes, I'm almost constantly preparing for conversations that may or may not actually occur later. Have long philosophical debates with myself, play out character scenes in cartoon and celebrity voices. Very useful habit when I was in Radio, I would turn those into funny commercials. :P

steeviebops
Raven
Raven

28 Jul 2010, 6:09 pm

One thing I sometimes do is say something and then whisper it back to myself (echolalia).

ForFlorence
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jul 2010, 5:47 pm

brownleefamily wrote:

Yes, as Surya mention sometimes it is preparatory dialog. Other times I'll repeat things that I've "talked" about previously but they have nothing to do with anything and are just the only things that come to mind. Or I'll get lost in self talk when other people are talking.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 6:30 pm

ForFlorence wrote:
brownleefamily wrote:

Yes, as Surya mention sometimes it is preparatory dialog. Other times I'll repeat things that I've "talked" about previously but they have nothing to do with anything and are just the only things that come to mind. Or I'll get lost in self talk when other people are talking.
that i have that problem too, sometimes i'll repeat things under my breath that i'm thinking without realizing it :oops: .

Grey_Area
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jul 2010, 8:39 pm

steeviebops wrote:
One thing I sometimes do is say something and then whisper it back to myself (echolalia).

I used to do that. I stopped doing it in my mid teens when people started pointing out that it sounded a bit weird. :lol:

Cuterebra
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2010, 4:46 am

When people catch me talking to myself, I start singing in the hope that they won't think I'm just nuts. I don't know if it helps, but i do it anyway.

Mouldy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2010, 6:20 am

Have you ever stopped to think... and forgot to start again? :P

My favorite letter is the squiggly! ~ :D

ForFlorence
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Jul 2010, 7:14 am

Seanmw wrote:
ForFlorence wrote:
that i have that problem too, sometimes i'll repeat things under my breath that i'm thinking without realizing it :oops: .

Yes, this is nearly always embarrassing. I never know when it will happen or about what :bom:

When my mind is lost in the self-talk it can lose awareness of it's surroundings and it can feel like I'm not anywhere at all but in my head. This is disorienting to not realize I've started with the self-talk and come out of it suddenly and realize that I was off daydreaming for who knows how long. 8O It must be completely confusing to the other individual(s).

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2010, 12:13 pm

I talk to myself a lot, its mostly internal though.

Mouldy wrote:
Have you ever stopped to think... and forgot to start again? :P

LOL

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 9:01 pm

devark wrote:
I talk to myself a lot, its mostly internal though.

You mean thinking?