What was your earliest childhood memory?

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 8:04 am

Guitar_Girl wrote:
Erisad wrote:
I was trying to touch my eyeball when I was two. It hurt. XD

I STILL do that :lmao::lmao:

Lol! I do that too but only when I'm putting my contacts in. >.>

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 8:19 am

On the avenue, there ain't never a curfew, ladies work so hard.

druidsbird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 4:24 am

Falling down concrete stairs into the basement. Waking up and not being able to breathe for several seconds, then screaming. Ah, to be a kid again...

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 11:07 am

My earliest childhood memory is of the process of having my picture taken outside a box baby crib and I remember the difficulty I had trying to stand up and balance so I used one hand to hang on to the box crib to keep from falling over.

My next memory is (likely) years later of a part of a train ride. I do have a very clear memory of when I started school in kindergarten and the notion that all freedom for a child would end that day.

The box crib and part of a train ride are only seconds in time/moments in time. The day one kindergarten experience is more sustained and intact as a longer memory.

Much of grammar school to me is almost a fragmented memory due to what looked like, retrospectively to be petit mal/absence/whatever but actually turned out to be ADHD Inattentive, central auditory processing disorder (CAPD), and mild dyspraxia.

I very much can relate to neurological challenges - subtle neurological challenges - involving ideas such as: paying attention, concentration, focus, alertness, sustained attention, memory, inattention, distractibility, short attention span, working memory and so on.

BriannaBee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Jul 2010, 11:46 am

When my friend got stung by a bee at Legoland on the horse ride and we had to go to the nurse's office to get it removed. She also got a lego dog. And another where I was playing ring around the rosie with a few friends. I'm not sure how old I was when those happened. I was four or younger though.

Taupey
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 2:42 pm

My mother taking me to her place of work and all these people crowding all around us talking with my mother and at me and touching me. I started crying.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 3:50 pm

My earliest memory was being forcibly squeezed from a dark, warm and comfy place into somewhere very cold and bright and some sod holding me up by the ankles and spanking me until I cried! :wink:

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 3:54 pm

Making my mother break her ankle.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 3:58 pm

I was in the crib and made a little noise. I wasn't upset but I would be soon after, because the crib didn't have the bar coverings, and I could see the floor when it rocked to the side. I felt the gravity to. I cried harder each time it rocked toward the dinning room. There was no floor covering at the time, so I saw it in it's bare state. She wasn't moveing it very far either. I was feeling something like this "I don't want to fall! Aaaaaaaa! Stop! Waa :cry: 8O Hard floor!.. STOP! :cry:" :lol: I was so scared. Hah.

steeviebops
Raven
Raven

31 Jul 2010, 4:47 pm

Around 1987... sitting on a grassy hill near my house, watching traffic on the road nearby. I specifically remember a red Findus van and a tan-coloured CIÉ bus. Was only about 3 at the time.

axeb
Raven
Raven

31 Jul 2010, 6:04 pm

I think this is an interesting question. The details of what a person remembers might meld together from different sources over time. Luckily, I have been asked this before, thus reinforcing early experiences. When asked this question many years ago for the first time, it was a recollection of being bathed in the sink as a baby. Swimming in my diaper, getting my feet stuck in my crib repeatedly, and finally learning to dislodge it from the slats on my own, are also prominent memories from m<1 year of age. I know they are my memories because I was able to figure independently about the time we moved into the first house I remember, which was essentially right after I was born. I know my parents lived in another house before that, but I don't remember it.

Guitar_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 7:21 am

Ferdinand wrote:
Making my mother break her ankle.

How did you do that?

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 7:21 am

Guitar_Girl wrote:
How did you do that?

She was saying goodbye to me and tripped.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 5:15 pm

I am born in summer and we moved in the autumn, so I was somewhere between 12 and 17 months old.

I remember being in the hallway of the new apartment. Looking around I saw my dear yellow kiddie bed. It was a well known and familiar item and it gave me relief and pleasure in an unfamiliar place. Eagerly I cluthched my grandfather's brown trouser leg and pulled it to get attention. I made a whimpering "ng-ng-ng" sound and pulled at him to make him follow me into what was going to be my room. (I didn't know that, of course; I just wanted to get to my safe bed but didn't wanna go in there alone).

They claim small kids don't have advanced emotions, just the basic ones, but that doesn't hold true for me. It's not because I see it differently now, the feeling is the same, and I've remembered it that way since it happened.
I'm not the only one to feel things I "shouldn't" at that age. When I was 12 years we visited my granfmother in the north. My cousine lived in her basement at the time. One day his girlfriend came over and she brought her little brother who was about 2. We played with ball and had fun. Then he got upset and whined, His sister Mia asked him what was wrong. He whined and looked at me, seeming reluctant. To me it seemed like he didn't want me to understand. My first thought was that he had to go to the bathroom and didn't feel comfortable with telling his sister in front of a stranger (me). But I assumed that his sister woulld read him easier than me, so I didn't butt in.
The little boy pulled at her and she followed him - to the bathroom. I heard her say something like "Why didn't you just say so?" So my guess was correct...

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765