Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 3:01 pm

I'm getting my wisdom teeth out on monday possibly. They hurt bad and all 4 are impacted. They're starting to make the front part of my teeth hurt and my gums bleed. People have told my that they'll probably have to break the tooth. Does anyone have an advice or anything? :sigh: I'll be so sick of sorbet by the time I'm done healing, I can guarentee it :(

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 5:53 pm

I had mine out, it wasn't all that bad. It's been several decades, but I don't think I was all that sore - I remember going shopping the next day. They were badly crowding my other teeth - in fact, my front teeth are still seriously out of alignment and wearing badly because we waited too long to have the wisdom teeth out. But I'm not sure they were actually termed "impacted." It's better to have it done early than to wait. They're still trying to figure out how to fix my teeth - I also should have had full braces forty years ago, but, oh, well. Cheap parents.

My daughter, however, had hers out when she was in high school and they were definitely impacted. She was very sore for three or four days - looked like a chipmunk from the swelling for the first day. But after a week she went back for a recheck and she was already healing very well. They did hers all at once under general anaesthesia. She was "out" for less than 15 minutes, came home two hours later.

I'd suggest cold soft foods - your sorbet - for a day or two, then other soft foods. Oatmeal, scrambled eggs, pasta, milkshakes.

Good luck!

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2010, 6:06 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
I'm getting my wisdom teeth out on monday possibly. They hurt bad and all 4 are impacted. They're starting to make the front part of my teeth hurt and my gums bleed. People have told my that they'll probably have to break the tooth. Does anyone have an advice or anything? :sigh: I'll be so sick of sorbet by the time I'm done healing, I can guarentee it :(

I would give Advil a chance before you use more risky pain killers. Also, soft foods...

Pasta without tomato based sauce.
Mashes potatoes.
Yogurt
Cottage cheese.
Various types of soup
Rice
Risotto
Other things similar to rice
Oatmeal
Very mushy vegetables.
Toast...

There's actually a lot of things you can eat. Just stay away from crunchy and chewy.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 8:50 am

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
Does anyone have an advice or anything?

Be sure to come early to the dentist so the anaesthesia kicks in before they begin pulling em out...

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 3:31 pm

Don't remember it being that big a deal. Just remember having to wash mouth out with salt water several times a day until things healed, and maybe taking some sort of antibiotic because you do end up with open wounds that have to heal and are vulnerable to infection until then. Other than that you probably just need soft foods for a day or two and avoid foods with seeds like strawberries or raspberries or other small particles for a little while.

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 11:06 am

I had mine taken out. I was given a local anaesthetic, and I didn't feel a thing.
Then I was given codeine tablets to take for the rest of the week.
Codeine is good stuff. 8)

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 7:23 pm

I had all 4 pulled and was eating solid food within the hour. No pain or bruising.

Seattle_Chris
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Aug 2010, 6:26 am

I had mine out a couple years ago. Just remember to say "Yes, it still hurts" when they ask if you've had enough pain killer. I was higher than a kite when I left! Lol

Blood clots will form in the holes where your teeth used to be. These clots are IMPORTANT. Don't play with them with your tongue. It's harder than it sounds. And don't drink through straws for the first few days or do anything else that can create a vacuum in your mouth or they can pop out. It's call dry socket or something like that when they come out and can be VERY painful. I know it sounds weird, but take VERY good care of your blood clots.

Only eat/drink cool or cold food afterwards, as hot foods, especially hot beverages like coffee can soften and or wash away your blood clots. Oh, and remember to chew using forward teeth. Even after you heal up pretty good in a couple weeks, it's still a pain to have to dig food out of your gums. :D

I hate taking drugs, so I didn't take any drugs after mine were removed. It was really more of a ache than anything else. I'm sure if you've had tooth pain for quite a while, you will probably not need the pain pills. I just saved my pain pills for emergencies down the road. Never did use many of them before they expired and I tossed 'em.

Google for dry socket and I'm sure you'll find good details. Dry Socket is like the worst case scenerio, so if you learn how to avoid that, you'll be bullet proof. :D Heres a link to get you started. http://www.animated-teeth.com/dry-socke ... ockets.htm

Other than the cost, and the fact that people freak me out, especially when I don't have a flight option available were the worst parts. It's REALLY not that bad of a procedure physically.

r41n
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Sep 2010, 4:19 pm

i had mine taken out, all 4 of them
my tips : make sure you don't feel anything before the doctor start cutting your gum :p
and prepare ice chips in your fridge, just in case it's bleeding

quirkster18
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Jul 2013, 8:12 pm

I got all 4 taken out this morning! My mouth is on fire! lol
It'll get better hopefully soon... haha
sorry to everyone else who has to have their pulled too :/
I wish a speedy recovery to all! :D

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 8:24 pm

Have some packets of frozen peas, put them against your cheeks it helps stop the swelling and it numbs the pain.

All the best it's something you will just have to go through.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 1:13 am

It wasn't that bad for me; the first two I had taken out with just local anesthesia; the surgeon numbed the heck out of me and then yanked them out with pliers. It was so easy that I really wish that I'd had it done earlier. I never even filled the narcotic scrip that the surgeon gave me. The third, they wouldn't do without general anesthesia; aside from being terrified of general anesthesia, it was also very easy. I only needed hydrocodone, and only needed about half of the prescription.

The fourth, I'm told, is as likely as not to break my jaw if and when it ever has to come out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't cause problems.

turtleoverhare
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2013, 3:37 am

hey, im getting mine right now too hurts pretty bad sometimes.