what is better?
mac/apple 41%  41%  [ 9 ]
pc/windows 59%  59%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 22

MDM
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2010, 4:48 pm

I prefer OSX, I do a lot of ssh to linux systems and a lot of unix-system-development, and I really like being able to use all of my favorite development tools, pretty much right out of the box. If I didn't have access to OSX, I'd chose debian, vector, red-hat, or ubuntu though.

polarity
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 5:42 pm

I'd rather have a Sun, running OpenBSD.

The SparcStation 20 was really well designed compared to a PC, so it's a shame that like everyone else, Sun ended up changing to the PC internal design. PC expansion cards are badly designed, having the connectors on 2 adjoining edges. In the old Suns the SBUS expansion cards have the external connectors on one edge, and the SBUS connector on the opposite one, so they can be cooled by air flowing right across the card. The whole system is cooled just by having air flow from one side of the case to the other, becasue the memory and CPU coolers are aligned to make use of it too (something not often seen outside of 1U rackmount servers). Then there's things like being able to get dual CPUs, 4 port network cards, and a pair of SCSI hard drives, all in a case so slim they called them pizza boxes, back when PCs had 486 CPUs.

OpenBSD is my favorite operating system, because the developers do their own thing, really well, without bothing trying to compete with the other operating systems by adding features. It's written from the ground up to be the most secure OS there is, and because of that, it is coded to a higher standard than any other OS, and is easier to maintain.