my god yahoo answers makes me cringe sometimes

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

right-hand-child
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2010, 12:23 pm

so i was on yahoo answers today and found this question from an english guy asking if the right to carry a concealed gun has helped any american users and what they think of it.

anyway someone answered, and i dont know what they said word for word, but it went something like this:

"you dont see americans prying into british peoples social lives but i see brits invading our privacy with questions like this on answers every day. must be a psychological flaw they possess."

naturaly, being british this has been the "pissed off" theme of the day for me.
there are british, german, french, japanese, russian or whatever race you can think of, people who are like this. i know you'll find these sorts of people everywhere, but they didnt have to put it like that.

it seems whenever i make another escapade into the world of 'internetzz' im slammed with some racist crap, usualy from an american. not from something ive said to them, or anything else, just because they know somehow that im british.

maybe if they just left it at that it would have been fine, but they had to be a racist prick and say "must be a psychological flaw they possess".

im pretty sure the guy asking the question didnt say anything other than what i mentioned that could have been prying too deeply into the life of american people.

am i being unreasonable?

oh and to top it all off the guy had 4 thumbs up.

Last edited by right-hand-child on 30 Jul 2010, 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 12:28 pm

I would just put it down to people saying dumb things and then move on with your life.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 12:32 pm

I ignore everything I see on yahoo Answers and I don't go there much anymore. In fact I found a better place to be at and there are no trollish questions nor trollish answers and of course "Am I pregnant" questions. I don't understand why people get so upset with trolls there. How hard is it to ignore them and why take them serously? It just makes it fun to go there and troll and see what reactions you get. Plus people abuse the thumbing system anyway. People can creat multiple accounts just to thumb someone's answer down or thumb their answer up. Yeah lot of people there are stupid and ignorant.

I only go there sometimes now when I feel like it.

right-hand-child
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jul 2010, 12:39 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I ignore everything I see on yahoo Answers and I don't go there much anymore. In fact I found a better place to be at and there are no trollish questions nor trollish answers and of course "Am I pregnant" questions. I don't understand why people get so upset with trolls there. How hard is it to ignore them and why take them serously? It just makes it fun to go there and troll and see what reactions you get. Plus people abuse the thumbing system anyway. People can creat multiple accounts just to thumb someone's answer down or thumb their answer up. Yeah lot of people there are stupid and ignorant.

better place? do tell :D

but i am pretty sure they were being serious, and even if they werent, for some reason i find it verrrrrry difficult to "just ignore" anything that annoys me. i really get worked up at anything...really wish i could let crap like that go, but it doesnt work.

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 12:53 pm

lolbritish

Science_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 12:55 pm

Yahoo Answers users are at the bottom of the barrel.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 3:52 pm

actually that's not technically racist.
British is not a race. It's a nationality :?

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 4:40 pm

Something about Yahoo brings out the real crazies... you know, the "vote Ron Paul so we can open up Area 51 and find out if Mars attacked on 9/11" crazies. That and the armchair missionaries who answer every question with "only Jesus can help you."

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 5:00 pm

So, Seanmw, would it be called "nationalist" then?

OMG yahoo answers. I finally joined it in the hopes of contributing something non-stupid because I was sick of googling questions and finding the most ret*d answers on Y!A every single time. (And I've found that if you ask a question right, you can avoid the dumb answers.)

Yeah, there's lots of stupid racist content on the Internet, but it actually seems like the overwhelming majority is reasonable and logical. Just.. certain sites attract the bad stuff more than others. But look at YouTube. On every controversial video, logical comments are winning. All the highest-rated comments are non-racist and non-insane. And that's a really mainstream website, too! It is encouraging to think about.

Seanmw
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 5:03 pm

wigglyspider wrote:
So, Seanmw, would it be called "nationalist" then?

OMG yahoo answers. I finally joined it in the hopes of contributing something non-stupid because I was sick of googling questions and finding the most ret*d answers on Y!A every single time. (And I've found that if you ask a question right, you can avoid the dumb answers.)

Yeah, there's lots of stupid racist content on the Internet, but it actually seems like the overwhelming majority is reasonable and logical. Just.. certain sites attract the bad stuff more than others. But look at YouTube. On every controversial video, logical comments are winning. All the highest-rated comments are non-racist and non-insane. And that's a really mainstream website, too! It is encouraging to think about.
Prolly :P

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 5:59 pm

I have a hard time taking anything on yahoo answers seriously. I just assume they're all trolling each other and laugh.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 6:32 pm

Yahoo Answers is a festering cesspool of dross.

Cheeseroyale34
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jul 2010, 6:44 pm

Yahoo answers is the church of all of the dimwits and trolls of the internet. Check out this website if you don't agree. http://www.yahooanswerfail.com/

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 6:50 pm

Cheeseroyale34 wrote:
Yahoo answers is the church of all of the dimwits and trolls of the internet. Check out this website if you don't agree. http://www.yahooanswerfail.com/

LOL See? Trolls. They're all trolls, people. It's entertainment, and not meant to be taken seriously.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2010, 7:53 pm

right-hand-child wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

better place? do tell :D

but i am pretty sure they were being serious, and even if they werent, for some reason i find it verrrrrry difficult to "just ignore" anything that annoys me. i really get worked up at anything...really wish i could let crap like that go, but it doesnt work.

I go to babycenter and joined two groups there where I belong.

right-hand-child
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jul 2010, 7:20 am

Seanmw wrote:
actually that's not technically racist.
British is not a race. It's a nationality :?

so its not offensive?