2D:4D finger ratio, sexuality, and gender differences.

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 1:33 am

Some of you may have heard about the studies correlating the ratio between the ring and index fingers with androgen exposure in the womb.

If not, go here:
http://viewzone2.com/fingersx.html

Apparently, a longer ring finger than index finger indicates you were exposed to high levels of androgen in the womb, and thus heterosexual males usually have longer ring fingers than index fingers, and heterosexual women usually have longer index fingers than ring fingers. It's reversed for homosexuals.

I happened to notice today that my ring finger on my right hand is longer than my index finger, and I have to admit, neurologically there are many masculine qualities about me as far as my perspectives and thought process.

However, I'm quite positively heterosexual and I still have many innate female behavioral traits.

Interestingly, the ring finger on my left hand is shorter than my left index finger.

I'd be interested to know the ratios for everyone else.

hutchscott
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jul 2010, 1:56 am

Alright, I'm interested. I'm flagging this post and tomorrow I'll post a reply. Thanks.

Didacticity
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Jul 2010, 2:10 am

<---- Heterosexual male with a low 2D:4D ratio (long ring finger); the index finger is also tapered a bit, while the ring finger is boxy at the end.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 2:28 am

Straight female. Longer ring finger than index finger. Also a couple of other "tells" that are supposed to indicate maleness. The big things look female, though. (Female voice, large breasts and hips, narrower shoulders, a lot of weight around the thighs.) I wouldn't worry about it. You're an Aspie, aren't you? You already know you have high testosterone, or probably have high testosterone, from that alone. Looking at your fingers doesn't provide new information.

NOT A DOCTOR

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 5:26 am

I knew of this test ages ago because I am gay :lol:

Anyway, I pass with flying colors. My index finger is significantly shorter than my ring finger.

Last edited by Kiseki on 31 Jul 2010, 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kiran
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2010, 5:42 am

Chronos wrote:
I happened to notice today that my ring finger on my right hand is longer than my index finger, and I have to admit, neurologically there are many masculine qualities about me as far as my perspectives and thought process.

However, I'm quite positively heterosexual and I still have many innate female behavioral traits.

Interestingly, the ring finger on my left hand is shorter than my left index finger.

I'd be interested to know the ratios for everyone else.

Hey, your fingers look the same as mine: longer ring finger than the index finger on the right hand but shorter ring finger than the index finger on the left hand. If I had been born a dude I would probably be a regular heterosexual dude, but now i'm just a selfmade-asexual something something freak.

n4mwd
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 7:04 am

I'm an asexual man. My index and ring fingers are pretty much even on both hands. My ring finger might be as much as a millimeter longer, but the difference is slim. I guess that is why I tend to lean on the hetero side of the asexual fence. I prefer non-sexual romantic relationships with women and just friends with men.

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 7:27 am

My index finger is ever so slightly larger than my ring finger, I'd pretty much call them equal. I am an asexual hetero-romantic male.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 8:15 am

Simon Baron- Cohen was looking at this in regards to the "extreme male brain" theory of autism. My son has AS and the diagnostician made note of my digits because he was part of a study. My ring finger is longer than my index finger. I am not lesbian but I'm not overtly girly either. Apparently, at least in females, the longer ring finger shows up with both lesbians and females with ASD's. I posted about it last year asking who had a longer ring finger and a great number of people had a longer ring finger.
http://fingerlengthdigitratio.wordpress ... ratio-094/

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 8:23 am

My ring finger is waaay longer and I usually like women more than men. Only their bodies though, not their personalities so much.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2010, 2:59 pm

if i look at it with my palm facing me my index finger looks longer, but if i turn my palm away from me my ring finger is longest. wtf

...but my ring finger is the longest. im a straight female but was always a tomboy and guess i have some traits that are usually considered masculine

Sivri
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Aug 2010, 7:33 pm

On my left hand, my index finger is a bit shorter than my ring finger, and on the right hand they are just about the same.
I consider myself to be Bisexual. I don't really know how much I belive theories like that tho.

Fluke83
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2010, 6:56 pm

My ring finger is longer on both hands, I've actually done the measurements in mm and got a 0.93 ratio on one hand and 0.94 on the other...!
Apparently the female average ratio is 1.00 and the male is 0.96....

Funny thing is.. I'm a heterosexual female, by most accounts. I've mostly been described as a tomboy, but personally I like to describe myself as a gay boy in a girl's body... I like the men, no doubt about it, but I like them as a BOY.... Not really easy to explain...

I consider myself somewhat lucky I was born female though, because I really do think I'm having a easier time with the men and society in general because of it..! Almost makes it worth the nasty things about being a girl, heheh..

jdcnosse
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 12:36 am

I'm a male, but this is odd because I follow the traditional heterosexual male, yet I'm a heterosexual androgyne lol

Michhsta
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 5:31 pm

Both my ring fingers are significantly longer than my index fingers, on both hands and I am bisexual. Engaged now to a wonderful man.

Mics

aprilthesis10
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2010, 3:54 am

OneStepBeyond wrote:
if i look at it with my palm facing me my index finger looks longer, but if i turn my palm away from me my ring finger is longest. wtf

...but my ring finger is the longest. im a straight female but was always a tomboy and guess i have some traits that are usually considered masculine

It is probably because you are flexing your hands at different angles each time you turned them. I recall checking out the digit ratio thing ages ago, and it looked like both ring fingers were taller than the index fingers on one side, and shorter once I turned my palm towards me. However, because the crease of my ring fingers is low set, I had to realign them with a ruler so that it was even to the index fingers first crease, and it turned out my ring fingers were actually a lot longer. I ended up measuring them both, and the ratio for my right hand was 0.97, and my left hand was 0.95.

You probably have found the exact same problem I had.........finger it out. 8O