Tekneek
Toucan
Toucan

23 Dec 2004, 8:52 am

Catffienated wrote:
I smile at the wrong times sometimes.
"My house got destroyed in a hurricane" ::smile::
"My grandma died" ::smile::

A co-worker went into great detail describing a bad car accident they witnessed, and I cracked up when they finally got to the accident. They had a hard time understanding the humor in it, unfortunately. The smiles and laughs were genuine, but deemed socially inappropriate...although when isolated away from the true life anecdote, that part of the situation really was funny. I've had people stop talking to me entirely because of moments like that.

Fortunately, for me, most people around me know well enough that I have a dark sense of humor, accepted more easily by fans of Monty Python/Red Dwarf/related brit comedy.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2004, 11:16 am

Quote:
I am prone to smile and even laugh when someone gets really serious. It is always because I've noticed some detail that everyone else has missed, that would actually be funny to them if they could get beyond the rant this other person is on.

I laugh when people get angry or serious, too. That's why I suggest that people not do it... in my experience, it's not a good idea, as the response is usually not pleasant.

I laugh or smile when I am nervous or do not know what to do. I also tend to find other people's anger funny sometimes, especially when I know they are irritated over something irrational.

Tekneek
Toucan
Toucan

23 Dec 2004, 12:04 pm

Civet wrote:
I also tend to find other people's anger funny sometimes, especially when I know they are irritated over something irrational.

That plays a big part in it as well. People are also prone to making mistakes when they are angry, some of which can be hilarious. Yep, it is generally a bad idea. My wife slapped me once for laughing at her during one of her rages, and doing it at work when an EVP was upset with us certainly raised some eyebrows.

PeredeMocha
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Dec 2004, 3:21 pm

In college, a couple of time when I smiled, my redneck football player roommate would scream and yell at me. I was trying to be nice, but the dumbshit completely took itthe wrong way. Every facial expression or comment I make gets me into trouble.

TheViking
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2005, 2:43 pm

i dont like smiling

From a book of untruths for the weakest mind
-------
I have no faith distracting me
I know why your prayers will never be answered

TuDoDude
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Dec 2005, 1:08 pm

I have this "problem" quite often. Usually, I'm neither mad or happy so I don't think about smiling. I have to keep reminding myself to monitor my (facial) affect depending on the situation. Also, I have to keep alert when people say "hello" or another greeting. It's something I have to keep thinking about.

Bec wrote:
Sometimes people will ask me, 'What's wrong?' just because I'm not smiling. I guess I must look sad or angry. But usually when they ask me that, nothing is wrong. Do people just expect me to go around with a huge grin all the time?

CRACK
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2005, 1:23 pm

I hardly ever smile. Most of the time when I try to smile I just make this neutral expression that makes people think I'm dissappointed. Unfortunately I've gotten some criticism for it when I was a bagger at Stop & Shop.

The only times that I do smile is when I'm thinking of something funny and trying not to laugh.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2005, 3:27 pm

I don't think I have a problem with smiling (i.e., no one's ever commented on it). I do think sometimes I have a "Don't Approach Me" sign on, figuratively speaking of course. I don't wear signs except those which are already on my shirts.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/