Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Wombat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 10:06 pm

How can anyone take this rubbish seriously?

Why should we argue the creation myths of one tribe of middle eastern, bronze age goat herders as if they were special?

As Europeans we already have the Norse gods and the Roman gods and the Greek gods.

But wait. Let's not forget the African creation stories and the Hindu creation stories and those of the Navajos and Eskimos and Australian aborigines.

In all fairness, if you are going to allow "Christians" into public schools to teach "scripture" then you should allow Jews and Muslims and Hindus and Scientologists and and Incas and Aztecs and Aboriginal elders.

When I was little there were "scripture" classes in public schools on the assumption that everyone was (or should be) a Christian.
But today many of the children might be Muslim or Hindu or Buddhist.
So now what?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 1:05 am

Wombat wrote:
In all fairness, if you are going to allow "Christians" into public schools to teach "scripture" then you should allow Jews and Muslims and Hindus and Scientologists and and Incas and Aztecs and Aboriginal elders.

In all fairness, I'd be perfectly happy to have Jewish people teach from Scripture. Their Tanakh is equivalent to the Christian Old Testament anyhow, and if you mean regarding Creation specifically, then of course. That is no problem. :P

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 3:23 am

Orwell wrote:
Mitochondrial DNA can be (and has been) traced back to one human female from whom all of us are descended.

Really? Got a link to a reputable source for this? It sounds a tad Adam and Eve! I was of the understranding that 'mitochondrial eve' referred to a reasonably large grouping of homo-sapien females as the species developed and migrated from East Africa.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 9:22 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Mitochondrial DNA can be (and has been) traced back to one human female from whom all of us are descended.

Really? Got a link to a reputable source for this? It sounds a tad Adam and Eve! I was of the understranding that 'mitochondrial eve' referred to a reasonably large grouping of homo-sapien females as the species developed and migrated from East Africa.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38238685/ns ... e-science/

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 9:49 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Skafather posted a link. But I don't see how this is even surprising. All life is related. All humans and all chimpanzees share one common ancestor if you go back far enough in our history. Why the surprise that all humans have a common ancestor?

Within ethnic groups, inbreeding is often much more obvious, though this usually involves everyone being descended from a small number of males. I know several Muslims who are direct descendants of Muhammad—on both sides of their family. In some parts of Asia, basically everyone is descended from Genghis Khan. In Europe, there was a relatively small group of VIkings running around pillaging and raping who are the ancestors to most of today's northern Europeans.