Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 5:32 pm

Yupa wrote:
The penis/vagina. The reproductive urge is the closest to the desires and instincts of a creator-God, to whom the inhabitants of the world are his children.

Quote:
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet:

1. Posting offensive language, comments, video, or images.

Also, you intentionally re-posted the same post at the end of last page hours after your initial post, with the presumable intent of making sure your comment was at the top of the page.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 5:47 pm

What is offensive about Yupa's post?

The double posting isn't appropriate, but I see nothing that violates the, "offensive language, comments, video or images," rule.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 9:15 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Yupa wrote:
The penis/vagina. The reproductive urge is the closest to the desires and instincts of a creator-God, to whom the inhabitants of the world are his children.

Quote:
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet:

1. Posting offensive language, comments, video, or images.

Also, you intentionally re-posted the same post at the end of last page hours after your initial post, with the presumable intent of making sure your comment was at the top of the page.

I was going to say the penis, but Yupa won me over this, I don't get the "offensiveness" on this, unless sexuality is taboo for you?

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2010, 9:23 pm

I apologize. The double posting was accidental. No, I don't consider that crude or offensive.

This is a discussion about religion and religious symbolism and those organs of the human body have been divine symbols in various cultures and religions practically since the dawn of time.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 1:19 am

The are not "divine symbols" in ancient Judaism nor in Christianity. The Egyptians and the Canaanites certainly had them as symbols theirs though, such as, with the Canaanites, the worship of Baal and Astoreth. However, associating such with God is invalid at the least, and of course the only reason you do this is to get attention anyhow. Your duplicate post was hours after the first one, so how it would be unintentional is imperceptible.

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

06 Aug 2010, 2:23 am

Hey, I'm with Yupa and greenblue on this one. Not for the reproductive reason, but because sexual union is the most direct physical experience of unity and bliss, and the sacredness of such an experience would have been blindingly obvious to our remotest ancestors. The fact that some religions have tried to expel sexuality from religion, and indeed from human life (and yet it keeps creeping back in!), says more about their urge to control than about the 'unholiness' of sex per se.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 3:07 am

ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
Hey, I'm with Yupa and greenblue on this one. Not for the reproductive reason, but because sexual union is the most direct physical experience of unity and bliss, and the sacredness of such an experience would have been blindingly obvious to our remotest ancestors. The fact that some religions have tried to expel sexuality from religion, and indeed from human life (and yet it keeps creeping back in!), says more about their urge to control than about the 'unholiness' of sex per se.

Sex isn't "unholy", but it is however private.

ThatRedHairedGrrl
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Walking through a shopping mall listening to Half Japanese on headphones

06 Aug 2010, 4:26 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:

And there's no reason whatsoever why it can't be sacred and private. (Sacred sexuality in non-Abrahamic religions is often interpreted as meaning public sexual rites, but that's also a very common accusation used to denigrate the enemy of the day, like the accusation of eating babies, and it may not bear any relation to what people actually get up to. Using sexual symbols isn't a good indicator of behavior; most ordinary Hindus who honor the lingam of Shiva probably have very conventional married lives.)

As for there not being anything of the kind within Judaeo-Christian tradition, marriage is used to symbolise the relationship between God and Israel/the Church all the way through the Bible. That's pretty clear sexual symbolism - especially if you take the Song of Solomon as part of that extended metaphor (and if you don't, what's it doing in the Bible anyway?)

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 6:13 am

ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:
ThatRedHairedGrrl wrote:

And there's no reason whatsoever why it can't be sacred and private. (Sacred sexuality in non-Abrahamic religions is often interpreted as meaning public sexual rites, but that's also a very common accusation used to denigrate the enemy of the day, like the accusation of eating babies, and it may not bear any relation to what people actually get up to. Using sexual symbols isn't a good indicator of behavior; most ordinary Hindus who honor the lingam of Shiva probably have very conventional married lives.)

As for there not being anything of the kind within Judaeo-Christian tradition, marriage is used to symbolise the relationship between God and Israel/the Church all the way through the Bible. That's pretty clear sexual symbolism - especially if you take the Song of Solomon as part of that extended metaphor (and if you don't, what's it doing in the Bible anyway?)

Song of Solomon is literally a love story about Solomon and one of his wives. However, I'm not the inventor of the Hebrew canon. Ask some Rabbis all you like.

Yes marriage is used as an analogy multiple times, but you'd be going way beyond the meaning of the analogy intended to make it sexual rather than covenantal. However, I doubt too many people of this era know what a covenant is other than the bad guys in Halo...

b9
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 7:46 am

god lives in my mouth.
every time i open it he speaks.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 10:50 pm

Yupa wrote:
The penis

You beat me to it.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 10:53 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Yupa wrote:
The penis

You beat me to it.

Beating penises may be common practice but somehow it is frowned upon.