Question about your teachers (at the college level guys)

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 3:32 pm

Growing up it has always been to me or to now the little sisters what are we getting the teacher for Christmas. Yet 5 years ago (since Christmas got put out in September) I saw a #1 teacher keychain and got my Psychology teacher a gift. My parents were ferious OMG you barely know her (class had only started 1-2 weeks ago mind you) why are you buying her a gift!!? Later on in February her Birthday I got her a Birthday card. I see no problem getting your college professor a Christmas gift what's so wrong with that?? I liked my psychology teacher is that so wrong? (Since she was pregnant at the time I also bought a My First Pooh but I heard others had given her cards/gifts for the new baby from other students) She also had a picture of a student on her keychain. :-)

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 4:21 pm

Don't buy gifts for college professors!! !!

Here's why: it looks like grade grubbing. On WP I can see you are not doing it to influence your grade. Outside of WP, that will be the assumption. You will be judged harshly for it, probably by the teachers themselves.

DON'T GIVE GIFTS TO COLLEGE PROFESSORS!! !

I like you and I want you to have a positive experience in college so I hate to see you shooting yourself in the foot. Please just don't do this. It will be taken the wrong way regardless of how innocent your intentions are. I am trying to protect you from making things harder for yourself. Please follow this advice.

Surya
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2010, 4:33 pm

Janissy wrote:
Don't buy gifts for college professors!! !!

Here's why: it looks like grade grubbing. On WP I can see you are not doing it to influence your grade. Outside of WP, that will be the assumption. You will be judged harshly for it, probably by the teachers themselves.

DON'T GIVE GIFTS TO COLLEGE PROFESSORS!! !

I like you and I want you to have a positive experience in college so I hate to see you shooting yourself in the foot. Please just don't do this. It will be taken the wrong way regardless of how innocent your intentions are. I am trying to protect you from making things harder for yourself. Please follow this advice.

Agree.. do not do that!

Think of it like bribing your boss for office with a window and view over looking a park..

Brioc
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

02 Aug 2010, 6:03 pm

Small gifts are fine. A six pack of their favorite beer is fine. But usually do these things only after you've finished their class. If they employ anonymous grading, it doesn't matter.

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 6:29 pm

Well it'd be Christmas and the last day of courses so the grade is already in the computer database. I never thought ever of a gift influencing my grade I want my studying/school work and tests to speak for themselves. Thanks for the advice. :-)

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 7:16 pm

I'd say never buy your professor a gift unless you've already graduated (preferably) or at least their class is over (you have received your final grade).

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 7:23 pm

It's fine if the class is over. It's okay if it's something small, like the keychain or something you made. For instance, in highschool I gave each of my teachers homemade bath salts (they were all female). Giving gifts that you bought twice in one year before grades are out is too much.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2010, 7:42 pm

Yes, definitely wait until final grades are posted. Otherwise, some people may get the wrong idea.

I read an article on the Reader's Digest site once: "Things Your Child's Teacher Won't Tell You" (obviously, this is K-12). One of the things they said was: when it comes to holiday gifts, GIFT CARDS are appreciated much more than things like picture frames, etc. College professors would probably feel the same way.

Just a thought. The dollar amount doesn't have to be very high (no more than $20, I'd say). If possible, make it one of those "use-anywhere" Visa gift cards--that way, they're not being "locked" into a particular store.

If that's not possible, a bookstore gift card is almost always appreciated by everyone. I love those. :)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Jeyradan
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2010, 9:52 pm

It should be fine if it's after the professor no longer has control over your grading. I bought my microbiology professor and TAs "giant microbes" at Christmastime. If it's a professor who's had a visible impact on you, then there's nothing wrong with recognizing it personally - you just have to make sure it's after any academic contact with that professor has concluded, so that there can be no misinterpretation.

davethenat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Aug 2010, 3:20 pm

As a college instructor (and an adult NAT) myself, I can say that most professors try to create a "professional" space. Their job is to educate, direct and inspire. If they have done so, recognition of a job well done is VERY much appreciated. However, the form of that gratitude is important. I had a card on my fridge from a student for years, and that card meant more to me than a particular object someone had to buy. I use music in my classes, so a group of students made me a CD of their favorite songs. It nearly made me cry.

There are ways to say "thank you" with a gift. My advice would be to make it something small, something that you can personalize, but would not automatically have monetary "value" attached to it.