Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dogenegra
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2010, 4:19 am

I'm at work, and normally we have a radio on in the corner blasting out BBC Radio 6 Music... which is a good radio station. It's not full of rubbish, stupid cheesy, cliché, head burstingly disgusting POP music. However, out of the 6 people in the office, only 2 people actually like it. Me and the guy who owns the radio. He's on holiday for a week. Everyone else has overrulled me. Now for a week I'm stuck listening to rubbish, stupid cheesy, cliché, head burstingly disgusting POP MUSIC!! !! !! I WANT TO KILL SOMEONE!! !! I'm stuck with this for 8 hours a day for a week!

I literally want to rip my head off right now. This is so depressing...

Can you tell me who your favourite musicians or bands or songs or anecdotes or quotes or anything regarding decent music is or are to make me feel a little better???

Just post your most favourite thing about music.

Please.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 4:51 am

sorry that you are in such discomfort right now :( this is cold comfort for sure, but remember it could always be worse. just be glad they are not blasting loud RAP MUSIC! or loud twangy new country music.

Dogenegra
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2010, 5:05 am

auntblabby wrote:
sorry that you are in such discomfort right now :( this is cold comfort for sure, but remember it could always be worse. just be glad they are not blasting loud RAP MUSIC! or loud twangy new country music.

Well, I think more talent goes into country or rap at least. Some rap anyway, it takes talent to be able to rap rediculously fast, most rap is definatlt worse though. Agreed.

Dogenegra
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2010, 5:21 am

ARGH!! ! ALL THESE SONGS ARE ABOUT LOVE AND BREAK UPS!! !!

Seattle_Chris
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Aug 2010, 5:26 am

Can you get Pandora on your cell phone by chance? If you can, here's my current favorite station I made. All old classic Ska!

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh254862513404218023

Dogenegra
Raven
Raven

03 Aug 2010, 5:38 am

Seattle_Chris wrote:
Can you get Pandora on your cell phone by chance? If you can, here's my current favorite station I made. All old classic Ska!

unfortunatly not :(

I've got lunch in half an hour - I'll just blast my MP3 player through my Skullcandy's into my brain to try and deteriorate any memory of the past few hours :)

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 6:08 am

I've made a living laying sod in the hot sun, selling shoes in a discount department store, playing Santa Claus for daycare kids as a photographer's assistant, crawling around under WalMart registers blowing dust out of computers, taking pizza orders over the phone and mowing lawns, among others.

Mostly, I spent thirty years making a living ALL day EVERY day playing recorded music, in virtually every case music not of my choosing. I had to listen to twangy OLD country, twangy NEW country, obnoxious pretentious pop artists, loud poser hair bands, and even classic rock artists I once loved, over and over again until I could scream. I actually learned to enjoy swing and torch songs from the 20s, 30s and 40s because I had to play them over and over for months on end. Most of it really wasn't that bad - I got used to it, learned to ignore it and even came to love certain styles I never thought I'd admit to liking.

During the heyday of disco in the late 70s, I had to hear the goddamn BeeGees until I thought it would turn me into a serial killer. It didn't. I hate to admit it, but I actually feel nostalgic when I hear that crap today.

I did, however, make a solemn vow while I was working in that shoe department and the same Muzak tape repeated over and over every 90 minutes all day long, that if I ever again have to hear Neil Diamond sing 'September Morn'...some sonofabitch will die. :evil:

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 6:16 am

Willard wrote:
I actually learned to enjoy swing and torch songs from the 20s, 30s and 40s because I had to play them over and over for months on end. Most of it really wasn't that bad - I got used to it, learned to ignore it and even came to love certain styles I never thought I'd admit to liking.

I love those old torch songs like Cry Me a River and Stardust but I could do without all the orchestration. I wish someone would do covers with just an instrument or two.

Etta James has a nice CD of old tunes like Someone to Watch Over Me and Weeping Willow Tree

you_are_what_you_is
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 8:55 am

I love most pop music, but I think I'd go insane if I had to listen to it constantly for a week. The same applies to any genre, except maybe very minimal ambient, or quiet avant-garde stuff that's totally indistinguishable from everyday noises. Two main reasons: 1) I can only operate on variety: I hate listening to the same kind of music over and over again, and 2) I can't work when there's even remotely complicated music playing, because I'll end up focusing on the music.

If I was working somewhere that played music, I'd spend as much time as possible trying to play loud, abrasive noise music, like Merzbow - with the intention of trying to persuade them to not bother playing music at all.

Can you tell me who your favourite musicians or bands or songs or anecdotes or quotes or anything regarding decent music is or are to make me feel a little better???

I don't have any favourite songs. Favourite artists (first six in order from best to worst; the rest are alphabetical):

Frank Zappa
Bob Dylan
Jandek
Tiny Tim
Sun Ra
Derek Bailey

The Art Ensemble of Chicago
Captain Beefheart
Glenn Branca
John Cage
John Cale
Don Cherry
Half Japanese
Miles Davis
Moondog
Yoko Ono
Charlemagne Palestine
Harry Partch
Steve Reich
The Residents
Sonic Youth
Igor Stravinsky
Yes
La Monte Young
Neil Young
John Zorn

Quotes:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Frank_Zappa

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 9:43 am

I've gotta hear this stuff at work too... the only pop artists I actually like now besides MJ (RIP) are (if they count but are NOT in MJ's league!) Lady Gaga & Adam Lambert. Does anyone else think half the stuff on the radio could count as legal orgy "music"/noises?

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 10:50 am

I took that literally at first... lol

I guess I can't recommend Radiohead, based on your avatar, guessing you already try them. ;)
In addition to what's already mentioned, I think I'll throw in Porcupine Tree. They're a refreshing sound, after listening to pop for a while. In fact, the lead singer/guitarist (Steven Wilson) is pretty much anti-pop. They're not inaccessible in that sense, but perhaps slightly experimental. Especially that their lyrics are pretty critical of where the music industry and current music industry is headed.

Pretty different from most music these days.

At least in the 80's, and earlier, pop music had musicians...

Last edited by Dnuos on 03 Aug 2010, 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 10:51 am

auntblabby wrote:

Are you suggesting that being "twangy" is a BAD thing???

The reason I find that (only) mildly offensive is something that happened to me two years ago. I decided to take a chance and start teaching guitar lessons in addition to piano so I could attract more students. That experience ended in disaster, but it's for the best because I'm not really the guy to teach guitar anyway.

So what I ended up doing was using this beautiful American strat that I'd bought my wife as a present. So I figured the best thing I could do was buy another cheap Fender that I could use that I wouldn't mind getting scratched up or students getting their greasy hands on. I even started teaching myself classical guitar.

What ended up happening was I bought a Tele because I just didn't want yet another strat. Midway through the school year, after Christmas, I did some modifications on it, replaced the strings, and ended up LOVING that guitar. It's a simple instrument design, and extremely versatile considering its design. That "twang" is a part of the instrument's character, and it's featured prominently in country music recordings.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 3:10 pm

I hate pop country but as far as "twang" goes Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys are iconic. Texas Swing. Love it.

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 7:46 pm

Seattle_Chris wrote:

You didn't hear? They took Pandora away from us years ago, you can only get it in the USA now.

OP, if you have a computer at work, you could listen to internet radio instead, or make your own playlists on Spotify.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 7:52 pm

Seattle_Chris wrote:

ska! :D

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2010, 11:10 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:
Seattle_Chris wrote:

ska! :D

w00t!

?I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've always worked for me.? - Hunter S. Thompson