WANTED: participants for a research study

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

TouchVanDerBoom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Aug 2010, 4:38 pm

As some of you know I am writing a paper that looks into the effectiveness of online alternatives to feminist groups for women with asperger's. I want to examine the benefits and pitfalls of this non-face-to-face contact vs more traditional involvement in the feminist community.

I am putting together a survey for aspie women to fill in. As the anthology in which the paper is to published is focused on feminist pedagogy I am particularly interested in looking at higher education students, preferably aged 18-25, but mature students and lecturers are also welcome. I want to get as broad a picture of the subject.

If you are interested in participating in my study, please pm me :)

**SCROLL DOWN TO MY THIRD POST FOR MORE INFO**

Last edited by TouchVanDerBoom on 06 Aug 2010, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

TouchVanDerBoom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2010, 4:25 am

Well, that wasn't exactly the response I was hoping for. Can I add that the study is anonymous, no names will be published.

capriwim
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2010, 9:08 am

I'd possibly be interested, but can you not post the details here? Is there a link to click on to read about it? Are you affiliated with a particular university, and is this part of a bigger research thing? I find it interesting to take part in studies, but I feel more comfortable clicking on a link with details about the study.

I'm not sure what you mean about 'feminist groups' for instance - as far as I understand, the word 'feminism' has so many different and contradictory meanings that it's pretty much meaningless to me. I'm a mature student (this means student over 25, for people in countries who use different terminology) but what I'm studying is unrelated to feminism. Are you looking for students studying particular subjects?

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2010, 9:25 am

I'd be interested too but I would love some more information. What sort of publication will it be? Is it supposed to be a formal research project? Do we get a copy of the finished product when it's published, or have a way of easily accessing it?

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

TouchVanDerBoom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2010, 10:41 am

Sorry I was so vague in my initial post.

I am an independent scholar, not affiliated with any university. The paper is going to be published in an anthology called Feminist Cyberspaces: Pedagogies in Transition. The call for papers I responded to is here: http://blogs.utexas.edu/cwgs/2010/02/cf ... ransition/

My paper does not have a title yet but is a comparison of face-to-face feminist groups and teaching methods and online ones. By feminist groups I mean any group that calls itself such and is focused on women's rights, learning or culture. The anthology is focused on the changing face of feminist pedagogy due to technology and my paper will attempt to say something about how this impacts on the female aspie community.

The students most preferable to me would be those aged 18-25 who are studying feminism and have asperger's. However if you fit one or two of those criteria and not others, still pm me as I'd like a broader view of things too.

If you are interested in the finished result, the book will presumably be available to buy online. I would of course send a copy of the paper by email to anyone who participates, once it is published

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 10:46 am

Well, I'll bite. I don't mind talking about feminist issues; though I tend to be a great deal more into "equal rights" (disability rights; civil rights; including women as one of many "minorities", rather than studying women specifically). I'm female and a 27-year-old biomedical engineering student.

You do need to give us full information, though, and inform us of where and when you're publishing; I think many of us have been burned one too many times by "awareness campaigns" that are supposed to tell people that we are human beings and would like to connect with the rest of the world, and instead end up being fearmongering, pity-centric bad publicity for autistics instead. It's not much to do with you specifically; just that we've gotten generally cautious. We're a bit tired of being side-shows, you know?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

TouchVanDerBoom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2010, 11:14 am

Very understandable Callista - it sucks that aspies are abused like that, I'm a possible aspie myself, hence the post count - but what more can I tell you? I do not know who the publisher is, just who the editors are (all American professors) and how to contact them. I answered the call for papers through an email from a trusted source - a lecturer and friend - so I know it's not anything dodgy. The link in my previous post is to a copy of this CFP.

As far as me or my paper having dishonourable intentions, the anthology is an academic look at feminist pedagogy and the new technologies that are changing it. If I wrote a sensationalist, sideshow piece it would be dismissed out of hand by the editors. I am not writing this to further the cause or raise awareness - though I think both things are important - I simply want to represent a side of feminist pedagogy that may not be known to many and have a genuine academic curiosity on the subject. My research will also involve looking at fem-aspie blogs and boards as well as using feminist literature as a framework. As the paper involves this kind of research rather than analysis of a text, which is my usual approach, it is difficult to predict what my outcome will be but I do know that I intend to be as sensitive and non-stereotyping as possible.

Please pm me if you decide to participate, you sound like you'd have an interesting perspective.

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2010, 2:41 am

Just sent a PM about this too, I'm game now.

I'm also 27 [slightly out of your ideal age bracket but oh well], female, and studying for a master of social work degree.

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!