Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

salem
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Aug 2010, 5:00 am

So this is for all the adhd aspies on here.....

Has anyone ever had this, where as a child you had all tht symptons of adhd and as you grew up, it was like you lost your hyperactivity and aspergers seemed to take its place?

Like, im 23, up until 4 years ago, i was very adhd, still on ritalin and couldnt control my hyperactivity, so much so i would climb all the desks at work and run along them jumping up and down, how i didnt get fired i will never know.
But now, my hyperactivity has disappered, im not so energetic anymore, but i have more symptons of aspergers, which i havent been diagnosed with yet.
I know it is very common to have both, but i was just wondering if anyone else had this?
Now i consider myself adhd free but having aspergers.
Is this normal?
Is it normal to lose adhd and aspergers to take its place?
I mean, i have always had a few symptons, but my adhd was always in the limelight. I still have a bad concentration, but the symptons of aspie that i have now, is quite unreal.
what do you guys think?

CTBill
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 9:01 am

salem wrote:
But now, my hyperactivity has disappered, im not so energetic anymore...

It's called "old age," Grasshopper, and I'm afraid there's no cure. :P

I didn't have ADHD as a kid, but it's become quite apparent and somewhat problematic within about the last 10 years. I blame the interwebs. I can't seem to work more that about 15 minutes at a time without having to check email, WP, the headlines, the weather radar, etc., and I'm disappointed if there's nothing new happening and keep clicking things until I find something interesting. :hmph:

MotownDangerPants
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 9:33 am

This is what I think has happened to me. I was diagnosed with ADHD at a young age and I had AS traits as well but the behavioral problems from the ADHD overshadowed them. I really started calming down around 20. I would say I've always had about the same level of aspieness, it's just more noticeable now.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 10:03 am

salem posted (in part): But now, my hyperactivity has disappered, im not so energetic anymore, but i have more symptons of aspergers, which i havent been diagnosed with yet. I know it is very common to have both, but i was just wondering if anyone else had this? Now i consider myself adhd free but having aspergers. Is this normal? Is it normal to lose adhd and aspergers to take its place? I mean, i have always had a few symptons, but my adhd was always in the limelight. I still have a bad concentration, but the symptons of aspie that i have now, is quite unreal. what do you guys think?...
----
It is normal that some of the gross and fine motor hyperactivity of ADHD diminishes as a person gets a little older. The attention asset/attention deficit/memory aspect of ADHD can remain/still be there in some way. Regarding concentration and memory, it can take a while to sort it all out. Is it due to ADHD Inattentive? Central auditory processing disorder (CAPD)? Some type of the many epilepsies such as petit mal/absence/complex partial/TLE, etc.? Some type of a subtle memory glitch which affects working memory/short term memory (like a capacity limit)? Other?

It is possible, over time, to slowly clarify the symptoms a little to a lot. It is not possible to find a fast and easy answer at all (simplified). At some point, many persons gradually accept what they have/are/the cards dealt them in life as best they can and then move on. That's my understanding.

http://www.out-of-sync-child.com/ - http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/ - http://www.bal-a-vis-x.com/ - http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/aspe ... perger.htm

salem
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Aug 2010, 1:01 pm

Hey thAnks for getting back to me. I don't ever believe ADHD goes away when you get older,I believe you are more in control and can therefore control your symptoms slot easier. But I also know that it is very common to have both disorders. I just believe I have both but as a child my hyperactivity way over shadowed my aspie traits. Now that my ADHD is under control it's like my aspergers is like "hey! My time to shine!" i haven't been diagnosed with As yet, im not sure how to approach it with my doctors. I'm scared that they will think I'm paranoid or a hypercondriact, or whatever, my partner seems to be getting more and more annoyed and angry at me about my social crapnes and I don't have an answar for it, so she assumes I'm acting like a child or being ignorant.

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2010, 1:04 pm

CTBill wrote:
salem wrote:
But now, my hyperactivity has disappered, im not so energetic anymore...

It's called "old age," Grasshopper, and I'm afraid there's no cure. :P

I didn't have ADHD as a kid, but it's become quite apparent and somewhat problematic within about the last 10 years. I blame the interwebs. I can't seem to work more that about 15 minutes at a time without having to check email, WP, the headlines, the weather radar, etc., and I'm disappointed if there's nothing new happening and keep clicking things until I find something interesting. :hmph:

LOL...at work, I run about 8 applications in the Taskbar and make good use of them throughout the day! I also check email, WP, and other stuff! And I never considered that I had ADD/ADHD!

I have a cousin who is a ONE-WOMAN SPAM GENERATOR! She manages to send hundreds of emails a day sometimes - my main email is COMPLETELY littered with stuff she sends people :roll: SHEESH :!::!::!::!:

salem
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Aug 2010, 2:52 pm

sometime wish I could be that hyper kid again sometimes. At least I had an answer for my behaviour. But I feel my partner Is having enough of me now and can't put up with my mute times, my anger and tantrums, how I need a routine so much that visiting family can freak me out, and how I would rather stay at home for the rest of my life then go outto the pub. Five years ago I used to need restraining for my anger and hyperactivity. I just haven't got a frigging clue anymore