Do you get really into your interests like this?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 9:28 pm

I didn't know how to word the topic title but since it's about one of my interest I thought that'd do. I told dad I went and read up on Harry Potter and told him the character Hermione returns to finish school. He said she does? I said ya in the book they go for 7 years. (he's all confused) he said real life?! So I confused him (he was still on the picture of the actress who plays her and I think he thought I was talking about her) but still he can be so harsh. He hates when I talk about fiction in a reality way. According to the Harry Potter Universe I have the most powerful wand in existence The Elder's Wand. :-) Do you get into your interest this heavily? Sure fictional characters might not be real but I love what they stand for! Take Superman TRUTH,JUSTICE,AND THE AMERICAN WAY!! !! (That needs to be a Presidents slogan!! !! !) I love that saying.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 9:33 pm

Sometimes. I tend to talk about STAR TREK in an "in-universe" fashion. :)

Also, take a look at this:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CouchGag

Don't know why, but I love stuff like this--I think I once spent about half an hour straight discussing it.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 9:49 pm

conundrum wrote:

Don't know why, but I love stuff like this--I think I once spent about half an hour straight discussing it.

LOL! Those are cool!! !! ! I only know you online but I think we'd be good friends IRL. :-) Thanks for always saying something nice and making me feel better about things my parents say (with how he acts sometimes I feel why bother as I put in the PM). I was listening to my Ipod once and mention something about New Moon (he said I was loud and what I said was stupid and he didn't care) (something to that affect) I said fine I'll go by myself so I did! (With his Potter attitude I'd do the same but I want to REALLY see the last 2 parts in I-MAX 3-D which is about 30min. away from me and I don't drive (but hey maybe I'll make friends/boyfriend and can do it with them LOL! :-) Thanks.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 10:07 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
conundrum wrote:

LOL! Those are cool!! !! ! I only know you online but I think we'd be good friends IRL. :-)

Thanks! I think we would be too. :D

zeldapsychology wrote:
Thanks for always saying something nice and making me feel better about things my parents say (with how he acts sometimes I feel why bother as I put in the PM). I was listening to my Ipod once and mention something about New Moon (he said I was loud and what I said was stupid and he didn't care) (something to that affect) I said fine I'll go by myself so I did! (With his Potter attitude I'd do the same but I want to REALLY see the last 2 parts in I-MAX 3-D which is about 30min. away from me and I don't drive (but hey maybe I'll make friends/boyfriend and can do it with them LOL! :-) Thanks.

You're welcome. I got to the PM AFTER I read this posting, which is why I answered you here.

I think you will make friends/a boyfriend. Like I said, eventually you meet people you "click" with.

Take care! :)

so that the people say,

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2010, 10:13 pm

conundrum wrote:

Might I say that I love that site.

OT: Well, there was that one time where someone said that they felt nothing and I asked them if they were a Nobody. That didn't go too well.

Phoros
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Aug 2010, 10:52 pm

rmctagg09 wrote:

Seconded.

As for myself, I used to do this quite frequently. I was completely enthralled with D&D when I was in fifth to seventh grade (I know, I know.) I was DM and, playing with my only friend at the time wound up crafting these grand and elaborate plots wherein (among other things) our characters actually met us, in real life. I'd mapped every world they visited, tracked the plot in a several hundred page document, and it was right in the middle of this that my parents first took me in to see a therapist for my alleged "attachment disorder." (I'm not saying the diagnosis was inaccurate, I just wasn't all that upset by the symptoms.) Haha... She was awestruck, and slightly frightened.

Slightly off-topic question: When you got really into a book or fictional character as a child, did anyone here pretend that character's consciousness had been transferred to their brain/they shared consciousnesses with that character/the character was with them in real life, but an invisible presence that only they could see? I know this is normal for very small children, but I've done this for as long as I can remember. o.o (I don't think it's crazy if you know you're pretending, but I do get lonely if I don't.)

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 11:01 pm

conundrum wrote:

This is pretty much me.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 11:07 pm

Phoros wrote:
rmctagg09 wrote:

Seconded.

Yay--other Tropers! :D

Phoros wrote:
Slightly off-topic question: When you got really into a book or fictional character as a child, did anyone here pretend that character's consciousness had been transferred to their brain/they shared consciousnesses with that character/the character was with them in real life, but an invisible presence that only they could see? I know this is normal for very small children, but I've done this for as long as I can remember. o.o (I don't think it's crazy if you know you're pretending, but I do get lonely if I don't.)

Actively pretend--once: Al from QUANTUM LEAP "followed me around" for about a year (the "hologram" thing worked quite well for this). I know what you mean,

I used to have dreams where I would share consciousness with someone else in the dreams, be they fictional characters (book, TV or whatever) or dream characters who I'd never seen before.

I called this "combined consciousness." It used to happen quite a lot but hasn't for a few years now.

so that the people say,

SmallFruitSong
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2010, 11:07 pm

Yes, I do this too. I can become very immersed in my interests. I try not to drown people in them because they usually don't take it very well :P

Kiss me to the core."

Think you're ASD? Get thee to a professional!

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 11:08 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
conundrum wrote:

This is pretty much me.

8)

so that the people say,

NeoPlatonist
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Aug 2010, 11:25 pm

I get very deep into my interests as well. But I also realize that most people really don't want to hear about it non-stop. It's all about striking a balance between being true to who you are and trying to engage others about their interests.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 12:08 am

Phoros wrote:

While I don't pretend that fictional characters share my conscious mind, I do pretend that they are my friends or relatives.

For example, one of my favorite things to pretend is that Alice Kingsley from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland is my (fraternal) twin sister. We are coincidentally alike in many ways: similar twin-sounding names (my name's Alex), same hair down to the color, length and texture, same age, similar personalities (both daydreamers and outcasts in society).

Alice has been "with me" since March 4th of this year and has not left my side once. We do everything together, from eating breakfast and watching cartoons to sleeping and bathing.

The biggest reason I like to pretend that Alice is my sister is because I'm estranged from my "real" sisters. They care about me, but I have never been close to them because of a huge age gap (10+ years) and the fact that they have bullied me in the past and were never there for me when I needed them.

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Aug 2010, 12:24 am

Phoros wrote:
rmctagg09 wrote:

Seconded.

As for myself, I used to do this quite frequently. I was completely enthralled with D&D when I was in fifth to seventh grade (I know, I know.) I was DM and, playing with my only friend at the time wound up crafting these grand and elaborate plots wherein (among other things) our characters actually met us, in real life. I'd mapped every world they visited, tracked the plot in a several hundred page document, and it was right in the middle of this that my parents first took me in to see a therapist for my alleged "attachment disorder." (I'm not saying the diagnosis was inaccurate, I just wasn't all that upset by the symptoms.) Haha... She was awestruck, and slightly frightened.

I never shared a conscious with a character, but I do tend to insert myself into what I'm reading.

mnmaria20
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Aug 2010, 12:51 am

Due to heavey monsoon rains in Pakistan, many part of Pakistan are under flood. Thousands of

homes are destroyed, till now more than 500 people have been reported died. Please help these

floody people in Pakistan. Help to provide them food and shelter. Your single penny can save a life.

You can share your thoughts with us at [email protected] , Please help in the hour of

disaster. Please create an awareness in people and give you charity, zaka, donations to these needy

people.

You can see damages of flood in Pakistan at

http://www.forumpakistan.com/monsoon-ra ... 57016.html , We request

from all charity organizations to setup their office in Pakistan and help these people.

A humble request from http://www.forumpakistan.com for the people who are in disaster and

needed help. Hope you will listen us.

Thanks.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 4:29 am

Up until about 23 or so I got so into certain TV shows and characters that I basically lived in them. I can remember going on and on about Buffy to my mother on several occasions and, I guess I knew she was not really interested, but it was if I couldn't turn myself off.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 5:10 am

I couldn't care less about the actual actors, I find the fiction much more interesting.