Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 7:48 pm

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_o ... 576489b1ab

According to the study above, autism (measured by AQ) has a strong correlation with these traits of the "big five"

- Neuroticism (0.2)
- Extraversion (negative correlation: -0.44)
- Agreableness (negative correlation: -0.42)

Autism as also a non-significant correlation with

- openess (negative correlation: -0.12)
- consciousness (0.14)

And, according to the wikipedia, the "big five" is related to MBTI in this way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mbti#Big_Five

N - (no relation)
E - Extroversion
O - iNtuition
A - Feeling
C - Judging

Then, we can conclude that there is an association between autistic tendencies and an I_T_ personality (if we take in account also the non-significant variables, the "typical" autistic should be, really, ISTJ, but usually it is not good idea use non-significant variables)

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 4:38 am

Although I am an ENFJ, I get on very well with INTJs -- my best friend is an INTJ. Generally I tend not to form very deep friendships with S-types. What I like about P-types is that they seem to have fewer moral hangups than us J-types. They can be very righteous, but not usually so legalistic.

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 12:54 pm

TPE2 wrote:
Alphabetania wrote:
We have had a poll about this at this forum before and if I correctly recall, the majority of the respondents were ISTJs.

I am an ENFJ.

The majority were INTJs.

Quote:
INTJ Personality Type - Asperger & High Functioning Autism
Asperger

There has been some discussion about the potential correlation between INTJ and Asperger/High performing Autism. I've even had a few INTJ colleges say they must have something wrong with them; possibly Autistic, simply because they are quite creative yet very logical (And exceedingly intelligent). Anyway, in terms of Asperger, it's easy to see similar traits such as intense interest in complicated things (Which allows the child to really think deeply, and scratch that part of the brain that rarely gets used). Smart kids love open ended questions as often everything else at school is a closed loop; besides, highly complex things can make many different patterns or none at all, which requires more inputs to see the pattern). Also, kids in their own way are developing their logic structures and as such may act in slightly aberrant ways until they deductively work out various ways/approaches and things that engage their mind.

With Asperger it seems all that is required is that the;

"child somehow has a qualitative impairment with social interaction, stereotyped and restricted patterns of activities and interests, not cognitively delay in development or language, Intense preoccupation with a narrow subject, one-sided verbosity (wordy discussions), restricted prosody and intonation, and motor clumsiness are typical of the condition, but are not required for diagnosis".

To which, most high end INTJs would say, So what? My Nephew (and I) have displayed many of those traits, it's called being a very bright child, being introverted/shy and talking with adults and acting in the way that they want/expect you to be. If children act in various ways its just as likely it's the fault of the parents (if it's even a fault, which its not) and these traits self correct as the child develops. I've seen my Nephew have problems talking simply because he gets so intellectually excited about something and his mind is buzzing so much, he can't explain everything he's thinking about all at once. It's a bit like stuttering; introversion but coupled with a massive thought process, bit like dyslexia.. Although it's thinking faster than verbal words, he's ""bursting at the seams". His teachers have put him up a year.

High functioning Autism.

Reading about this seems to pretty much encompass INTJs. Tick the ones that relate to you:

Autistic people are prone to commit social faux pas because of an inability to predict others' reactions.

They may appear somewhat removed or dissociated or dreamy at times, especially when in sensory overload or from a perception of extreme social pressure. They may make little eye contact, leading others to conclude that they are shy, uninterested or evasive.

[Or maybe they are bored and Intuitive; little eye contact can simply be the introverted shyness].

Unlike those with low-functioning autism, people with high-functioning autism are not mentally ret*d; persons with high-functioning autism have an IQ at the average to above-average range. Although they may have an adequate vocabulary, they may have a delay in communicating events and use less emotional content in their speech. They may also appear not to notice non-verbal cues from others such as when others have become bored with the topic of conversation they appear oblivious and continue.

Tick Tick Tick Tick...

As with people elsewhere on the autistic spectrum, people with high-functioning autism generally prefer routine and order, and this usually begins in early childhood. They may, for example, write an alphabetized index of their comic book collection, or they may stick to a limited wardrobe.

Isn't Routine and order is the Judging element within the INTJ? Limited wardrobe = efficiency and if you're introverted does it matter?

"although they may be seen as being overly serious or earnest, and as being without any "small talk" in conversation"

INTJ, Tick Tick Tick, small talk is inefficient.

They may have difficulty initiating love and friendship relationships, often being rejected because potential partners perceive them as being either too "nerdy" or too intelligent.

INTJ Tick Tick Tick

Young, intelligent HFA people usually do best by seeking out the company of their intellectual peers or by joining hobby groups, while avoiding their age-group peers. Exposure to an age equivalent peer group within the autism spectrum on a regular basis can be especially beneficial.

Hmm.. INTJ's should seek out other INTJ's?

Given the proven crucial role of body language in job interviews, lack of eye contact in such a situation may be perceived by potential employers as indicating that the candidate is "not telling the truth" or "uninterested in the job", and thus lead to a cumulative difficulty in finding employment.

So the shy introverts get it in the neck once again.

Once in a good job, however, their talents may lead to promotion and they may find themselves in a new job description that does not fit their personality.

INTJ's (Sorry High Performing Autistics) often have to become more extrovert as they are good at what they do generally.

Some may also nurture a complex habitual movement (termed "stimming") at which they become adept, for example, pen spinning, while otherwise being prone to clumsiness.

Here's me thinking that it was more due to intellectual boredom.. like in the classroom/lectures?

They do not lack empathy (although they may have difficulty expressing it), and can thus enjoy films and stories with emotional content. Some may gain the bulk of their insight into why people behave the way they do through watching movies that provide a forceful and musically-cued "capsule lesson" in human emotions (e.g. melodramas).

Isn't this the classic INTJ though? The stoic? Perhaps they have just neglected non essential connectivity with others, Most INTJs seem to live inside themselves (their mind), they are completely separate to everyone else. (Films etc may well allow them to have emotions but in a removed way, you don't need outward physical expressions of "feelings" to engage with them in your mind). They do not just react in the classic "feeling" way. INTJs are often described as having significant resolve, isn't emotions just a weakness which if not confronted that often seems to be a huge hole that most INTJs prefer to avoid? All INTJs I have come across are more genuine and caring that a lot of other types I've spoken to.

So, INTJs can be labeled probably with a lot of the types of conditions alluded to above, simply because they have traits, occurrence and intellect which is non standard. I believe most INTJs could attach conditions to significant groups of people in society, but because those groups would be so large they would be deemed not a condition, evidently conditions can ONLY be the affliction of minorities.

Hopefully, all the above will at least open peoples eyes to how stereotypes can be placed on minorities, even if you don't agree with what is said in detail.

article: http://www.intjtribe.com/asperger-high- ... autism.htm

DonDud
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Aug 2010, 1:08 pm

I took one a few years ago, I got INTJ, but one of the middle ones was evenly matched with the opposite trait... I forget which one. Are there any good free online Meyers-Briggs? I'd like to take one again.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 4:57 pm

DonDud wrote:
I took one a few years ago, I got INTJ, but one of the middle ones was evenly matched with the opposite trait... I forget which one. Are there any good free online Meyers-Briggs? I'd like to take one again.

It is free and online (I don't know if is good):

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 9:40 am

To Mdyar:

My best friend, who is an INTJ, is most definitely not autistic. He has had a hard time understanding some of my aspie struggles and it has put a great strain on the friendship.

jayroo79
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Aug 2010, 9:44 am

I always get INTJ from those tests.

"Power is the reason that we all are fighting for, control your body, your soul and heart. Yes- some of us who surrender are like lambs to the slaughter; get the power & try harder to reach the next stage."
-SMT III

KaiG
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 9:46 am

I always get strong INT, but the P & J is weak, and fluctuates depending on my mood and the test.

lostD
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2010, 11:27 am

Almost everyone is a INTJ here. However, these tests are not always accurate and some people may be in between two types : ITNP/J seems to be the more common.

I am a INTJ but close to ISTJ according to a website.

It seems that INTJ is a common type among autistic people, yet all aspies are not INTJ.