What gender do you feel like you belong to(aspie women)?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

What gender do you feel like you are?
I'm a woman who feel like a woman 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
I'm a woman who feels like a man 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
I'm a woman who feels like she has no gender 24%  24%  [ 11 ]
I'm a woman who feels like she has some of both genders (almost) equally 33%  33%  [ 15 ]
I'm a woman who feels like something other than the above 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
I'm a man who has stumbled in on the Women's Discussion 13%  13%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 46

Yasmine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2010, 6:14 pm

I just wondered how the Aspie women in here thought of themselves as - as there has been some discussion in the past.

Personally I don't identify with a gender, it aggrevates me that I am assigned one automatically.

Please feel free to explain yourself and discuss it below!

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 7:56 pm

I don't understand how it feels to be a particular gender as opposed to just being a person.

I'm female and fine with it. I don't go around thinking "Oh, I'm female, I have to act like x/enjoy y activities/be good at z!". That would just be stupid.

If I was male I'd be fine with that too.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 8:13 pm

It is uncomfortable to have to be any gender.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 8:45 pm

I'm a woman and I enjoy being a woman. I'm glad I was born female.

pineapple
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 8:47 pm

"Woman with some of both genders" over here. We're leading the poll so far, interesting. I would describe myself as "mentally androgynous" because I feel like I have a pretty even mix of masculine and feminine traits. I look more feminine, but that doesn't map onto my mind state.

Erisad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 8:54 pm

I'm a woman that feels like something between a woman and an object. I look like a woman but not enough so that I'm treated with respect by men. They speak to me only when they want to know my hot friend's name and if she has a boyfriend or if I could help them edit their paper. D:

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 10:09 pm

pineapple wrote:
"Woman with some of both genders" over here. We're leading the poll so far, interesting. I would describe myself as "mentally androgynous" because I feel like I have a pretty even mix of masculine and feminine traits. I look more feminine, but that doesn't map onto my mind state.

That sounds like me, too.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 1:17 am

conundrum wrote:
pineapple wrote:

That sounds like me, too.

Same here. I identify as transgendered because most people understand it.

kittylover
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Aug 2010, 11:47 am

I chose the last option because there wasn't one for me: I'm a man who feels like a woman. So much so that I'm trying to change, taking hormones, etc.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 3:23 pm

I'm a woman who feels like a gay man.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 7:30 pm

I feel more like a man, than a woman. I feel like a young, flamboyant man, of the British 60s. If The Kinks wore something, chances are, that I've worn it, or will be wearing it, soon. If there was a third gender, this day in age, I would be that gender.

Rose_in_Winter
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 11:18 pm

I think I am pretty much mentally androgynous. I love being a girl and the many perks that come with it -- makeup, pretty clothes, high heels, skirts (so much more comfortable than pants!), and so on. I love that I can have long, long hair without anyone making assumptions that I'm a hippy or a druggie or whatever. However, my interests are pretty stereotypically masculine -- video and online gaming, football, tech, and so on.

My mom and I were talking about transgenderism (two of my good friends, one of whom is MtF and the other of whom is a natal woman, just had a daughter, which is why the subject came up) and I said, "You know, I feel really balanced, gender-wise. I'm happy to be a woman, but I think I'd be just as happy as a guy." I paused, and added, "I'd be gay as the day is long, but happy!" She cracked up (I'm bi, but I am happier with men).

I am happy with the way I am, but I can still see how someone could feel they were in the wrong body. It's not a matter of, "I'm a girl so I better do x, y, and z," as it is a matter of really feeling that you were born in a body that is all wrong. There are even some studies that show the brains of transgendered persons are different from the brain of a person who was born the right gender. I truly think gender is a fluid thing, and support the idea of a "gender spectrum." Some people are 100% female and some are 100% male, but most people have some of both in them!

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2010, 11:24 pm

Rose_in_Winter wrote:
I truly think gender is a fluid thing, and support the idea of a "gender spectrum." Some people are 100% female and some are 100% male, but most people have some of both in them!

:wtg:

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

MoralAnimal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2010, 4:22 pm

tri-gender! I have both genders (male and female) but sometimes I feel like neither. I mostly identify with bi-gender people though. they are very supportive.

alone
Toucan
Toucan

25 Aug 2010, 9:05 am

I don't know how I feel most of the time.

Last edited by alone on 25 Aug 2010, 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grendelis
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Aug 2010, 11:32 am

I feel male alot of the time cos I think logically, straightforwardly, but then I also think female when I 'go with the flow' or make a decision cos 'it felt right'.

I was brought up being my fathers son, as it were. Helping to fix cars and such like. I enjoyed being with my dad more cos he made more sense. He might have been Aspie too, I'm not sure. My mother couldn't cook, and neither can I, and we never got on. She seemed illogical to me. I'm probably like that now to other ppl.

So maybe I am both m & f. I'm happy being in a female body (apart from the terrible monthly hell of periods).
But as I get older I find my weaker female side is getting more prevalent and thus I get annoyed with myself more, cos I need more help just to function in life these days. The slippery slope into old age I suspect. Maybe I will have more energy again after I go through menopause?

But I'm definitely NOT a girly girl. They are a strange other entity to me. I feel more comfortable in the company of men, and most of my pals are men (even those who don't know how to have females as friends).