Were you given a basic vocabulary about Asperger - autism?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 11:06 am

Were you given a basic vocabulary to perhaps understand small aspects of Asperger - autism (such as central auditory processing disorder, dyspraxia, sensory integration/sensory processing, visual-perceptual challenges, sound sensitivity, synesthesia, hemiparesis, social skills, and so on)?

Or were you left almost completely in the dark where nothing at all was explained/no basic definitions or keywords provided?

Experiences?

---

Aspects of body balance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Fit

Ferdinand
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 11:06 am

I am smart so I picked those words up like an STD. s**t was so cash.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 11:08 am

I had speach and language therapy. The therpist made use of Carol Grey's social stories in order to explain to me the social concepts that your average non autistic would take for granted as inate or common sense. Was quite crucial to my developement at the age of 10

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 12:15 pm

I'm still figuring them all out... on my own.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 12:21 pm

pgd wrote:
Were you given a basic vocabulary to perhaps understand small aspects of Asperger - autism (such as central auditory processing disorder, dyspraxia, sensory integration/sensory processing, visual-perceptual challenges, sound sensitivity, synesthesia, hemiparesis, social skills, and so on)?

Or were you left almost completely in the dark where nothing at all was explained/no basic definitions or keywords provided?

Experiences?

If your neuropsychological report said that you have these difficulties and they were not explained to you or discussed with you then I think that was very wrong of your doctor (or other professional who compiled this report). I am making an assumption that you are referring to your own experience. You should definitely insist on a basic explanation. You may not understand as much as the doctor does about these things.....but that doesn't mean that he/she shouldn't make sure that you understand as much as possible about them...so that the report will be of some use to you and you will know what issues you are dealing with!

Good luck to you...I hope you get some answers soon (if in fact my assumption is correct :oops: ).

---

Aspects of body balance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Fit

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 12:25 pm

I had my report done when I was 13 years old ...but even then my psychiatrist did his best to make sure my mom and I understood everything as much as possible.

hutchscott
Toucan
Toucan

07 Aug 2010, 12:31 pm

Tony Attwood's book "The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome" helped. I'm still fuzzy on a lot of it.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 12:34 pm

That's what WP is for - to share information. I think there are a great many things about AS/HFA and Autism in general that you can only fully grasp by communicating directly with others who have it and comparing their experiences with you own.

Some of the descriptions in the DSM are so dry and clinical, I don't think you really can understand what they mean until you have some real life reference point to illuminate them.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 12:40 pm

I didn't have to. It's a bit of a special interest.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 1:20 pm

I looked up each of these terms as I saw them here on the forum. I almost always look up words that are new to me.

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2010, 1:58 pm

Mudboy wrote:
I looked up each of these terms as I saw them here on the forum. I almost always look up words that are new to me.

Pretty much this. Almost everything I've learnt about ASDs has been through this forum.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2010, 3:36 pm

I absorb new words with the air I breathe. (Well, not literally, but it sure seems like it!) I love words; the more precise, the better.

If you don't understand a word, there's always Google. Also, medical dictionaries, for the more jargon-y among them.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com